Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
PlayStation MVP
3027 posts

Re: Swapped hard drive with SSD drive

May 25, 2013

When I upgraded my PS3's hard drive, I couldn't get the firmware to install from a USB stick.  had to burn it to a CD-R to install it.

For $149, that's a "hybrid" drive, right?  or have full Solid State drives actually gotten that cheap?

Message 21 of 45 (249 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5010 posts

May 25, 2013

HotChick955 wrote:

al2009man wrote:

Interesting...

i wonder about Internet. does it effect with SSD drive? 

EDIT: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/solid-state-drives/solid-state-drives-ssd.html

I don't use the PS3 to go on the internet (browsing the net)... so I don't know if it effects the browsing speed.

But I would say, yes, it make browsing faster. I was amazed about the speed increase of Home. Home uses the HD a lot and that's why I see such a speed increase.

I got the 120GB drive (520 Series).

Home used to use the HDD quite a bit all of our Saves were on the HDD! It had to read from our HDD to load our avatars outfits... It had to use our HDD to load our saved apartments etc.... But it no longer uses our HDD for any of those saves!

It's all Online now on Sony Servers!    And it goes way way much faster since it's no longer using our HDD's to read all that Data!

SHAME on SONY for making us HOMEless by Closing our PS HOME!
Message 22 of 45 (242 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5010 posts

May 25, 2013

Shadow-Runner wrote:
Maybe im confused...but how does a bigger HDD make Home run faster? They put all our saves and stuff on their servers a while back. Nothing Home related is on your HDD. If Home runs slow, its gonna be because of 2 things: Your net connection...and Sony's servers.The days of Home saves, settings and script files being saved to your HDD are long gone. So in theory...having a bigger and better HDD shouldnt really matter when it comes to Home.

Am I wrong, anyone?

From what they is saying they went with a Smaller HDD and it runs faster... they did have a 500GB hdd and went down! I don't see why anyone would go down on HDD i rather go up myself...   I too have a 500GB HDD in mine! But for Games and all u sure need it! It came with a 160GB HDD there was no way i'd use only 160GB HDD with all those games... That's just crazy!

LOL!

Message 23 of 45 (238 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5010 posts

May 25, 2013

JoyceHairhelmet wrote:
So goddess, does this mean if I reduce my Home cache setting, I could get load times to speed up? I always have had it set to the largest, as I thought that would make it more convenient/faster. Now I'm second guessing myself.

It's always seems to move better with the lower settings... Everytime i use the biggest settings i end up having more problems on Home!

Oh Well! But that may just be me!

And i'm only using 160GB HDD on my Home PS3! The one it came with!

But even on my other 500GB HDD for home it didn't make a Difference either way....

Message 24 of 45 (237 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
1683 posts

[ Edited ]
May 25, 2013

TJMVoyager wrote:

Its all about the ports. The controller card that runs the HDD//SSD, I am not sure what kind of controller cards are in the PS3 but if its slower then what todays PC's are then the PS3 isn't going to see that much of an improvement in terms of speeds.

Again it all depends on what kind of controller card the PS3 has and how fast it is.

You have a good point, TJM (great seeing you at Acorn the other day btw). I would think that every newer iteration of the PS3 console would have a better/slightly faster controller card than the previous console. I would def. think that the speed of the controller card of a  brand new Very Slim is slightly faster than the controller card of, say a 2nd or 3rd gen Slim. In that case, it would make sense that the SSD would load faster because of a newer slightly faster controller card ...

Now, I'm gonna have to go to the specs of this Very Slim version and compare it to the previous iterations because I now want to know the hardware differences .. but I know it's def. gonna be faster than my 1st gen box. At least I have backwards-compatiblity! :smileyvery-happy:

Message 25 of 45 (238 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5010 posts

May 25, 2013

goddessbunny42 wrote:

JoyceHairhelmet wrote:
So goddess, does this mean if I reduce my Home cache setting, I could get load times to speed up? I always have had it set to the largest, as I thought that would make it more convenient/faster. Now I'm second guessing myself.

OK, Joyce ... the real answer is .. yes... and no. If you had your cache set for the smallest amount, 3GB,  it will def. reduce the load time as the drive only reads 3GB of temporary space vs. 12GB of temporary space. The part that is a drag is when you now have to acces another space that you have recently visited, but had now been rewitten by the other newer places you've visited or items you've worn. The drive now has to download that space/outfit in your smaller cache vs. it having been already accessed and STILL in your temporary memory (cache) if the cache size is larger.

The question now become which evil will you want to suffer through ... locating/loading lag time because your have the stuff already in your largest cache (12 GB) OR constant downloading of newer stuff on your smallest cache (3GB)? That's for you to decide ..

For me, I chose leaving my Home cache on the largest cache size (saves on the writing head as well). But that's me ...:smileyvery-happy:

Hoped that answered your question ... didn't mean to sound so cryptic.

This data is all that is on our HDD's now i'm very surprised they didn't move that data to ONLINE servers as well. That way there be nothing to read from our HDD's!   Make it happen SONY!

:smileywink:

Message 26 of 45 (238 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
1683 posts

May 25, 2013

DCS-Tekken wrote:

goddessbunny42 wrote:

JoyceHairhelmet wrote:

OK, Joyce ... the real answer is .. yes... and no. If you had your cache set for the smallest amount, 3GB,  it will def. reduce the load time as the drive only reads 3GB of temporary space vs. 12GB of temporary space. The part that is a drag is when you now have to acces another space that you have recently visited, but had now been rewitten by the other newer places you've visited or items you've worn. The drive now has to download that space/outfit in your smaller cache vs. it having been already accessed and STILL in your temporary memory (cache) if the cache size is larger.

The question now become which evil will you want to suffer through ... locating/loading lag time because your have the stuff already in your largest cache (12 GB) OR constant downloading of newer stuff on your smallest cache (3GB)? That's for you to decide ..

For me, I chose leaving my Home cache on the largest cache size (saves on the writing head as well). But that's me ...:smileyvery-happy:

This data is all that is on our HDD's now i'm very surprised they didn't move that data to ONLINE servers as well. That way there be nothing to read from our HDD's!   Make it happen SONY!

DCS - I have a sense of dread that our game saves and trophies are going cloud-based as well on the PS4 for everyone.  :smileyindifferent: I know games saves are happening on the cloud (or could be ported over an option) for those that are PS-Plus Members. Please someone, please say that this will not be the case ... of it is is, please provide the trade mag/blog link so I can read this! Thanks! :smileyhappy:

Message 27 of 45 (230 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5010 posts

May 26, 2013

goddessbunny42 wrote:

DCS-Tekken wrote:

goddessbunny42 wrote:

JoyceHairhelmet wrote:

DCS - I have a sense of dread that our game saves and trophies are going cloud-based as well on the PS4 for everyone.  :smileyindifferent: I know games saves are happening on the cloud (or could be ported over an option) for those that are PS-Plus Members. Please someone, please say that this will not be the case ... of it is is, please provide the trade mag/blog link so I can read this! Thanks! :smileyhappy:

On PS4 that is possible... But for most of us at the first release of PS4 it's gonna be to expensive to buy a First Gen PS4 at Launch!

But if PS4 games are stored Online that fine with PS4 games... Just as long as PS3 saves remain on our HDD's! I'm fine with that...

Message 28 of 45 (218 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
272 posts

May 26, 2013

DCS-Tekken wrote:

HotChick955 wrote:

al2009man wrote:

Interesting...

i wonder about Internet. does it effect with SSD drive? 

EDIT: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/solid-state-drives/solid-state-drives-ssd.html

I don't use the PS3 to go on the internet (browsing the net)... so I don't know if it effects the browsing speed.

But I would say, yes, it make browsing faster. I was amazed about the speed increase of Home. Home uses the HD a lot and that's why I see such a speed increase.

I got the 120GB drive (520 Series).

Home used to use the HDD quite a bit all of our Saves were on the HDD! It had to read from our HDD to load our avatars outfits... It had to use our HDD to load our saved apartments etc.... But it no longer uses our HDD for any of those saves!

It's all Online now on Sony Servers!    And it goes way way much faster since it's no longer using our HDD's to read all that Data!

That's not complete correct.

The HD is used to cache everything that Home is showing us on the screen. Avatar settings, clothes, furniture items, apartment layouts, preview pictures in the menus... and more. The faster Home is able to save all the data to the HD and to read it back, the faster can Home show you the preview pictures in the wardrobe, in the furniture menu and in the inventory menu. After I have swapped the HD with a SSD all of those menus are now so fast and responsive, it's almost like there is no loading time whatsoever.

Home also saves the avatar settings and clothing of all the other people in a space on the HD. Every time you enter a space, Home downloads the settings and clothes over the internet and caches them on the HD. A slow HD makes this process slow. The much faster SSD makes this process faster. And this is also what I see now on my PS3. When I enter a space, all of the "ghosts" turn into the correct look in a matter of a few seconds. When I had the slow mechanical HD in the PS3, it sometimes took minutes to load all the avatar settings of the ghosts. Now it only take a few seconds and all ghosts are gone.

The layouts of our apartments and our avatar settings are on Sony's servers and they are downloaded over the internet. But once they are on our HD/SSD, Home is using the cached layouts, as long as your session lasts.

When the slow HD was in the PS3 I could see the orange HD LED being lit up practically all the time, because Home was scrubbing all the time on the HD. With the SSD this orange LED only flickers a little bit and Home does not have to wait for the data to be written and read from the hard drive.

I think I have to take a video of my screen and show you how Home feels like for me now with the SSD.

Message 29 of 45 (190 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
272 posts

May 26, 2013

DCS-Tekken wrote:

JoyceHairhelmet wrote:

It's always seems to move better with the lower settings... Everytime i use the biggest settings i end up having more problems on Home!

Oh Well! But that may just be me!

And i'm only using 160GB HDD on my Home PS3! The one it came with!

But even on my other 500GB HDD for home it didn't make a Difference either way....

The size of the hard drive does not change anything in terms of speed. It only gives you more space and you can have more games on your PS3.

I don't play too many games (Home, GTA IV, Need for Speed... and that's basically it). So for me a 120 GB drive is by far big enough.

Message 30 of 45 (188 Views)
0 Likes