Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Treasure Hunter
8666 posts

Re: What Went Wrong With Home?

Mar 31, 2013

LiLBlueEyes wrote:

What went wrong with Home

First of all they should've made Home game exclusive only,  no central plaza, no mall no bowling alley, the concept of getting gamers together should have been about the games.

• One of the main points of Home is to bring the community together.  That includes gamers and non gamers alike.  There for an idea like this would not work.
  • Also Sony has failed at advertising for Home.  Very few game spaces being added.

They should have made spaces for Sony exclusive games only to start with - I am going to use God of War as an example.

The God of War space would've had its own central plaza or hub if you will, anyone would be able to go there and look at the advertisements for the game. But only people who bought the game would be able to go past a certain barrier,,, Its only fair, you bought the game,  you can see what lies behind the big gold door.

• You do understand that Sony does not make these spaces right?  The spaces are made by the game developers  them selfs.  So what would be the point of makeing these spaces?  Your no longer advertising the game seeing how you said you have to own the game in order to be in the space in the first place.

Now say you bought the game, you would have the ability to buy generic costumes from  in space shops  but say if you beat the game on any setting you get as prizes more advanced costumes and weapons to wear on your avatar. That would motivate others to try and beat the game.

• Home already has this ability to unlock items in Home when you win a trophie in a game but the game developers never put this in any of there games.  Why?  Who knows?   My bet is bad advertising by the makers of Home not telling the game developers that they can do this.

If Home was meant for gamers to meet up, then put the gamers in an environment they understand and can get behind, Sony had a chance to make Home or something the equivalent of Home into the ultimate bragging right in the gaming industry... Could you imagine when a friend or family member said, "I got a costume for my avatar on Xbox when I bought Tomb Raider," you could say, "Really, Well I unlocked Lara Crofts mansion for beating the game complete with trophy room - get a PS3 and I'll let you run around the maze outside of her mansion if you want."

• As I said in a past quote Home was never "ment for gamers to meet up".
  • Not everyone who owns a PS3 is a gamer some people own there PS3's for the blu ray player, networking, etc.

Folding@home Team #118000
GAPHome

General

Message 51 of 111 (300 Views)
Survivor
2673 posts

Re: Went Went Wrong With Home?

Mar 31, 2013

I agree 100%, The idea of getting a olympus mountain to call your own for geting a gow platinum is a big step forward with home. Home isn't what sony promised, but that doesn't make home bad, it's just not the original concept they started out with. I use home to take a break from gaming for a few hours, but sometime's I regret jumping on because you'll deal with people who use home for drama infused discussions. I really did want more games to give you stuff in home for getting a platinum, like WKC giving a statue for having a game save and giving you the white knight costume for getting a platinum.

"I'm not a failure because I didn't win, I'm a failure because I didn't try." - Kev

Message 52 of 111 (272 Views)
Lombax Warrior
124 posts

Re: Went Went Wrong With Home?

Mar 31, 2013
Ok, I find this topic interesting enough to warrant a personal reply.

These are my personal feelings towards what I first saw in Home.

I saw a virtual world that could mimic the real world but also create things that the real world could not.
I liked the holographic pieces used in the old Century Plaza.
I played the virtual arcades in the Bowling Alley and actually had fun there.

Home now, just looks like a huge mess. The new core spaces don't look as relaxing as the old Century Plaza.
Majority of the new spaces are literally dead, no one in them.

I'm finding Home to be more and more depressing.

I don't have a problem starting a conversation with people in Home, but I run into kids, people acting out perversions, and the worst thing that happened to me in Home was being called a derogatory name because I was not using my "correct" gender virtual character in this place. This person does not even know that I exist, and they discriminate me the second I talk.
I know this is the internet, and people are who they are.
Message 53 of 111 (250 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2897 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 31, 2013

First off, hey all! It's been a long time! :smileywink:

Now, I don't know if this comment will directly correlate with the subject of this thead, because that comes off as a little doom and gloomy, nonetheless I just popped back onto Home today after a long... and I mean LONG break.

Now, upon jumping on, I was prompted with the latest 1.75 update, which I am very pleased with. Things run incredibly smooth, and it's nice to see Home as one of the first services that has received the "Cloud" makeover, love it. Things are MUCH faster now, the layout is much more intuitive, and everything just seems a whole lot smoother.

I'd say right now the technical side of PlayStation Home has reached a significant milestone in that it doesn't feel all that Beta-ish now, I'm very pleased. But, in still addressing the subject of this thread, there are some things that are off, to me, with the service. One of the primary things that got me to start walking the other way was the overall goofiness that had started raining down. The whole Home Circus pay-to-play model, the insider jokes, and just the overall lack of seriousness and sanity (not with the users, but with the content), it just feels like the same joke told again and again. Now, this is a virtual gaming community on a GAME console, yes, the whole point was to have fun, communicate with other gamers, and play games here and there, but the overall feel of the content that had been released in Home, on a near constant basis, had me feeling like a was 3 years old every time I logged in.

I was very deep into Home from the day I got into the closed beta, the hamster revolution, the get-togethers, etc., but I guess that starts to wear on you after awhile when you're getting older and having to focus more on work, family, education, etc. I remember meetings with the Nameless Ones (such a TERRIFIC group back in the good ol' days of Home) that would go on for hours on end. Because of Home, I seldom went to bed without first seeing the sun rise, and those memories will stick with me, it was a ton of fun. I think the ideas that were conceived while that group was together were just too ambitious for the time, but nonetheless were amazing. I still keep in touch with many of the Home veterans, and have made real life friends in Home as well.

I know, I went off on a tangent, but that's some Home nostalgia shooting back into my brain after a long hiatus. With all this PlayStation 4 talk, I'm excited to see where Home will go. I'd say that if the service takes a more mature approach, while fostering a community that puts communication, participation and fun ahead of goofy antics, things are going to get even better. There's always a time to act goofy, crazy and just have a downright good time, but I think there also needs to be a side that fosters the purity of gaming and life discussion as well. The tone in Home used to feel very smart and sophisticated (again, the content, not the users), but that ceased to be the case throughout the later years.

Yeah, I shot this one out quickly, so one might even consider it a rant. I typically put WAY more time and thought into my posts, but this one was off the cuff. This was in no way a means to offend anyone, just my quick two cents.

Have fun. Game on. There's no place like Home.

Message 54 of 111 (234 Views)
Last Guardian
10807 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 31, 2013

Responding to a LilBlueEyes post after NJShaddow...what year is it?! 

What went wrong with Home? Microtransactions. Hell I think I can give you the time and date when everything shifted, at least in my mind.

That $15 gold suit, you remember that? Yea that. I think it was very much a probe by the Home staff to see how people would react to something that was disgustingly overpriced. And there was some backlash, but the thing actually sold. Something that cost nothing to produce, nothing to host, and made them $15 everytime someone got it. That thing could have sold 10 copies and been worth it, I hazard a guess it sold thousands. I remember the first items sold in Home, when it came out of Closed Beta. Cloathing was $0.50 cents or so per item. 

From that time onward Home as a platform was no longer about the community, no longer about the users, no longer about games. It was 100% about pumping out useless **bleep**, charging a few dollars, and racking in money. 

Sony has never been proud of Home, they have gone out of their way to not market it, not mention it, and shovel it under the rug as much as they can. Its a shamless, disgusting, microtransatoin abusing abomination that makes many iOS games look fair with their business models.

I have spent hundreds of hours both in Home and these forums, I don't regret second of it. But I sorely regret the hundreds of dollars I absolutely wasted inside PS Home. 

@Jim777PS
Message 55 of 111 (207 Views)
VP of Gaming
25923 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 31, 2013

I have no regrets and no guilt. Everything I have done I did for personal enjoyment - not misery. And I am very happy with what I have. And if my money were unlimited, I would have even more.

Bear in mind, my family and my debts and expenses come first. After that, my savings and my Home.

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Message 56 of 111 (183 Views)
Last Guardian
10807 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 31, 2013

Conrad_Max wrote:

I have no regrets and no guilt. Everything I have done I did for personal enjoyment - not misery. And I am very happy with what I have. And if my money were unlimited, I would have even more.

Bear in mind, my family and my debts and expenses come first. After that, my saving and mt Home.

You are still active in Home I take it? 

After you have moved on, not touched it in say a year or so, go back and look at how much you own. Run the total in your head. Its not a good feeling.

Think of all the outfits you wore once, all the personal spaces your friends never even set foot in. 

It might just be me, as I would spend about $5 every 2 weeks or so getting the latest and greatest for more or less all of my time involved with Home. But that adds up really quick. 

Then just think of what else that money could have been. Something like a full PSN game, something far far more substantial. 

@Jim777PS
Message 57 of 111 (174 Views)
VP of Gaming
25923 posts

Mar 31, 2013

Jim777 wrote:

After you have moved on, not touched it in say a year or so, go back and look at how much you own. Run the total in your head. Its not a good feeling.

Like I said, I have no regrets. So the amount of money I have spent on Home doesn't matter. Just like the money I have spent on movies, music, games, books and any other form of entertainment that I fully enjoy.

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Message 58 of 111 (162 Views)
Last Guardian
10807 posts

Mar 31, 2013

Conrad_Max wrote:
Like I said, I have no regrets. So the amount of money I have spent on Home doesn't matter. Just like the money I have spent on movies, music, games, books and any other form of entertainment that I fully enjoy.

I would have said the same thing when I was active in Home, its easy to justfiy it to yourself when your still invovled. 

@Jim777PS
Message 59 of 111 (149 Views)
Fender Bender
2897 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 31, 2013

Jim777 wrote:

Responding to a LilBlueEyes post after NJShaddow...what year is it?! 

What went wrong with Home? Microtransactions. Hell I think I can give you the time and date when everything shifted, at least in my mind.

That $15 gold suit, you remember that? Yea that. I think it was very much a probe by the Home staff to see how people would react to something that was disgustingly overpriced. And there was some backlash, but the thing actually sold. Something that cost nothing to produce, nothing to host, and made them $15 everytime someone got it. That thing could have sold 10 copies and been worth it, I hazard a guess it sold thousands. I remember the first items sold in Home, when it came out of Closed Beta. Cloathing was $0.50 cents or so per item. 

From that time onward Home as a platform was no longer about the community, no longer about the users, no longer about games. It was 100% about pumping out useless **bleep**, charging a few dollars, and racking in money. 

Sony has never been proud of Home, they have gone out of their way to not market it, not mention it, and shovel it under the rug as much as they can. Its a shamless, disgusting, microtransatoin abusing abomination that makes many iOS games look fair with their business models.

I have spent hundreds of hours both in Home and these forums, I don't regret second of it. But I sorely regret the hundreds of dollars I absolutely wasted inside PS Home. 

The microtransactions are definitely one of the things that threw me for a loop. I never bought things in Home, I just never thought it made sense. Now, for those who do buy things, more power to you, have fun with it, I'm serious, but indeed, items like that $15 dollar suit made me question the ethical grounds on which the developers/accountants stood. Sony is a business, and businesses are supposed to make money. However, taking advantage of folks who are zealous about a service just did not bode well with me.

"You don't like it!? Don't buy it!" was something I heard a lot, but it was the PRINCIPLE of the matter. You don't pay 1500% more for a PlayStation title because it's a "better" game, or has new box art.

Message 60 of 111 (146 Views)