Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 02 2013
By: CathedralDream Lombax Warrior 158 posts

Xi Continuum personal feedback - spoliers.

5 replies 179 views Edited Mar 2, 2013

Posting this since the reply button doesn't work anymore on the feedback thread.

I answered the "purchased" survey.  I decided to post 2 of my text answers here for others to read.  I'm sure some of you may disagree.  These are my thoughts based on my experience.  Who knows, maybe I'm not alone in these feelings.

---

"Are you happy with your unlocked rewards so far?"

To some degree, I am happy.  The apartment was a huge letdown.  It looked like it was barely given any thought to, and parts were just sort of stuck in there without much thought or mindfulness.  The sound effects particular to most of the areas make me not want to sit there listening to it on end.  The biggest thing I really wanted was to have the control to change the lighting and coloring of the space.  That would have at least compensated for some of the frustration, because I hate being in it since it changes color and brightness so rapidly.  Otherwise I would love being in it more.  Furthermore, it didn't go anywhere near where the coolest part of the space is, which is the buildings themselves.  Also, I couldn't look around very well because I cant use the first-person view when using the camera for some reason when I'm in the apt or the continuum.  
I think that it would have been much more worth the money to actually give more rewards.  There are too many things on Home that are overpriced.  Xi2 is one of them.

"Any additional comments regarding Xi: Continuum?"

First of all, I understand you guys and gals probably need to make a dollar off of this game, since before it was FREE.  That being said, I think you deterred a LOT of people by charging almost 10 dollars for the sequel to this game.  I think it was absolutely abhorrent.  Truth be told, I managed to be one of the lucky people that got that 10 dollar voucher from Sony recently for the PS Network.  I decided to use it on getting Xi2, because I didn't get a chance to play Xi, and I got really intrigued from the videos and so on in the Museum for Xi.  I was sort of sad I missed out, and I was so excited when I saw this really cool and inventive layout for Xi2.  But of course, just like most people, I got to the front of the space and was then brought to the store and told I needed to pay almost 10 dollars to continue.  If it were not for the voucher given out recently, I would not have ever played Xi2 at all.  

To expand on my reasoning, I think that if you really wanted to make it pay-for that badly, at least make it 4-5 dollars rather than 9....that way if and when you release another, people might actually buy it.  Then again, I actually played it, and I am not planning on buying the next one no matter how much it is - if it's free, I might chill out in it.  

To be honest, the dialogue was extremely frustrating, dragged out, boring, and a poor attempt at trying to incorporate "realism" into a virtual reality/alternate reality game.  I think the initial concept was pretty intriguing, but I think the execution flat-lined, and came off as downright lazy.

I think what might have made the game better is if you didn't insult our intelligence - including by having that girl with the long black hair who cannot act her way out of a paper bag.  I don't know why she's around but it's just ridiculous.  I can't stand to listen to her or see one more still-frame picture of her fake expressions over and over again.  

It's obvious the game is fake - that is apparent from the beginning.  To make us think it's "real" is an insult to our intelligence, and for me personally it made the whole experience that much more UNREALISTIC.  The writing came off as trying too hard, especially that of Jessica. Axiom's dialogue was okay, although I did struggle with the concept of who it actually was for a little while, and furthermore, I think that whole bit about "I'm not going to talk about avatar ethics" was a really bad idea to include. I thought it seemed like an intriguing, real idea to discuss, and instead it got thrown out the window...Axiom came out with "avatars do not have feelings", which made no sense since they are a representation of a person.... And then to make it more confusing, Axiom decided to get all emotional about Stapler, just because they were "made of the same coding, we're practically family".  All of the sudden Axiom turned around and acted the exact opposite way about the avatar of stapler (which by the way, you went WAY too far with making disturbing, it was creepy as hell and totally threw me, it did not impress me at all.)  Anyway, I thought it was a failed opportunity to point out that stapler doesn't mean anything, and therefore Axiom and the other crew wouldn't care if he was blown up.  The whole thing was really confusing.

It was around the time that stapler was brought into the picture that I decided to educate myself on the original plot of Xi, by looking up the overviews etc.  I found a youtube video from some who had been infamously covering Xi, and watched the ending video of Jessica's diatribe about how the earth is in danger and it's important for us to educate the new generations of how to not destroy it.  Frankly, I think this sort of message is the wrong one to send when Sony is one of the many companies that was involved in supporting SOPA for a period of time before they were discovered and supposedly withdrew their support, at least publicly.  The last thing any capitalistic corporation wants to do is help people feel free and like they're making a difference with society - unless of course, you make them feel like they are by playing a video game on your very own console that tells them they are.  I just wanted to let you know this was a really poor attempt at this.  If you want to oppress the people, just do it.  Don't play games.  

Anyway, back to Xi2.  I think one of the most aggravating and counerproductive things to do were the games on the websites.  It was pointless to play them when everyone posts spoilers of all the information.  The games are NOT interesting enough to feel like a "minigame" where you want to finish it yourself when you know **bleep** well there is a spoiler post on the forums about 10 miles long that has all of the answers.  I wished there were some more missions, although I didn't at the same time because I didn't enjoy the gameplay, period.

About the bully drones, at the very least have a mission to shut those things OFF.  I hated them very much.

Lastly, about the ending, no, it doesn't make me want to see what happens in the next game.  It wasn't a cliffhanger, it was ridiculous and there is pretty much no coming back from it - ESPECIALLY when you show us all this emotion, it blows up, and then you let it RELOAD and we can just walk around in it again.  At the very least, lock us out so we can't go inside of it again.  That was just plain stupid.

Lastly, I now feel extremely bad showing visitors my Xi2 apartment, because it basically spoils all of it for them in the end if they want to play Xi2 and haven't yet.  So, I can't even really show it off in good conscience.

I really thought we were going to learn what EFD was talking about re: some person she was in a fight with that laughed at her or some such thing, but apparently not.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. All I can say is, I'm glad I didn't pay for this game out of my own pocket.  I give it 2 out of 5 flaming briquettes, because it at least made an attempt to be creative and intriguing, which in the end, it did have that going for it.

www.tiny.cc/signforhome

-------

If you are part of the 99%, you are automatically a part of the Occupy movement.
Message 1 of 6 (179 Views)
Lombax Warrior
158 posts

Re: Xi Continuum personal feedback - spoliers.

Mar 2, 2013
just because I was late finishing the game I'm not allowed to give my two-cents feedback? wow. you could have just said "i agree" and/or "many people have said the same thing" rather than being a toolshed.
^5
www.tiny.cc/signforhome

-------

If you are part of the 99%, you are automatically a part of the Occupy movement.
Message 2 of 6 (149 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
631 posts

Mar 2, 2013

CathedralDream wrote:
just because I was late finishing the game I'm not allowed to give my two-cents feedback? wow. you could have just said "i agree" and/or "many people have said the same thing" rather than being a toolshed.
^5

Beat the living tar out of that dead horse! I agree with you 100%. The XI: Continuum is a dead space now. I've been there a couple times since I finished it and it is a ghost town. I couldn't get the last 2 additions to the XI Apartment, because no one is around to play that god awful card game. There, I just caved in that horses skull.

FATALITY!!!

Antonio Xul
Message 3 of 6 (141 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
282 posts

Mar 2, 2013
I agree generally except I played it in real time as it unfolded and was DELIGHTED by all the emos moaning around the stapler incident :smileytongue: The ending, again, delighted. If given thos as an option, I would have chosen this path as the experience and characters, in the end, were just poorly fleshed out and annoying.

As for savage, just ignore everything it does. This kind of response is standard fare from it.
-60GB RIP 4-15-2010-
Message 4 of 6 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
158 posts

Mar 2, 2013
right-on-right-on :-)
www.tiny.cc/signforhome

-------

Message 5 of 6 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
819 posts

Mar 2, 2013

I didn't even finish the game, this was the type of game I had to push myself through and even then...I couldn't finish it. The  card game was interesting at first but then got boring after a while, just as the rest of the game was. Jogging over and over again for what seemed like hours to just end up with a few more clues about a story that really doesn't have much to offer. I went through the first Xi and it completely seems worlds apart from what I saw with Xi2. 

Message 6 of 6 (100 Views)
0 Likes