Reply
Jul 10 2011
By: Axcalibur First Son 8 posts
Offline

Troubles with Playstation Store

13 replies 1843 views Edited Jul 10, 2011

It's around 7pm on July 9th.  I'm trying to purchase the year subscription (with the 3 months bonus) on the Playstation store, but I'm receiving an error. 

The error code I'm receiving is 80023102 which when I did some research indicates that there's a possible problem with the server (Sony side). 

I tried 2 seperate credit cards (both of which I know have the right amount of funds). 

Anyone else receiving this error?  I'll try purchasing again tomorrow, but the deal ends on July 11th (which, given Sony's recent history, mean's July 11th in the morning...)

Funny how I'm trying to give Sony money, and they just won't take it

And one little side note - with the year subscription, we get 3 months free.  If you purchase 3 months, you get 1 month free.  So technically, shouldn't we actually receive 4 months free with a year subscription?  Just food for thought, more than actual complaining. 

Message 1 of 14 (1,843 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
Registered: 01/09/2010
Online
33434 posts
 

Re: Troubles with Playstation Store

Jul 10, 2011

Sorry you've been having problems, you're unfortuately not alone in this, do what you're going to do & try it again tomorrow, try it a couple of times & varying times of the day too, if that doesn't work you could think about purchasing PS Plus cards/PSN Cards from the stores & purchasing it that way.

Lol about the 1 mth Vs 3 mth free thing, I know what you mean!

Any further problems come back to us, we're a pretty helpful bunch, most of the time anyway!, also there's a specific PS Plus Forum which you may want to use for any future questions & queries, good luck!

Message 2 of 14 (1,843 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 09/04/2009
Offline
8 posts
 

Re: Troubles with Playstation Store

Jul 12, 2011

Well, I can't believe the absolute garbage customer service I've received from Sony on this issue.  I'd like to share the "customer service" I received from them, because it's a joke (Just a quick note, I'm copying and pasting from the emails I received, but I'm leaving out some personally identible info about me, such as my last name):

My first email:

In the past 48 hours, I've been attempting to purchase the Playstation Plus year membership because you are offering the additional 3 months. However, everytime I attempt to purchase the membership, I receive the error code: 80023102 and whenever I try to add funds (in the account management section), it just says funds could not be added.


I have never had this problem before and have made many purchases within the Playstation Store. I tried 2 different credit cards and have tried the purchase during different times throughout the past 48 hours. I know for a fact that both credit cards were entered correctly and they have sufficient funds.


I researched the code 80023102 on your website and it says it's caused when there is a problem with your server. I hope you can resolve these server issues soon, because the Playstation Plus promotion ends tomorrow and I will not be purchasing it if I don't receive the additional 3 months.


Thanks for your time.

Alex

Their first response:

Hi Alex,


Thank you for contacting Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC (SCEA). We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. We can certainly assist you today.


The error code you are receiving indicates there is a problem with the PlayStation®3 system connecting to the server. Allow me to provide some network troubleshooting steps to ensure an adequate connection for downloading content from the PlayStation®Network:


•First disable your Media Server Connection. From your XrossMediaBar™ (XMB™), go to Settings > Network Settings > Media Server Connection, and disable.


•Power-Cycle ALL Network Devices:


Unplug ALL of your network devices and equipment, making sure all lights on the modem and router are turned off for two (2) full minutes. Certain VOIP modems (where your telephone is connected to your modem) may have a battery installed. You will need to remove the battery in order for the modem to be completely turned off. More information on troubleshooting your wireless connection can be found here:

http://playstation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/280


•Try bypassing your router by connecting your PlayStation®3 system directly to your modem with an Ethernet cable. More instructions on wired connections can be found here:

http://playstation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/261


•Make sure that all the ports are open in the firewall of your modem or router.

http://playstation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/241


As a precaution, be sure also to try connecting your PS3™ to the Internet in a different network environment (such as a friend's house) to make sure your PS3™ can connect to the PlayStation®Network at all. If it can, the problem lies within your Internet service provider or router manufacturer.


Unfortunately, the time to download the Welcome Back content expired July 5th. At this time, we have no plans to extend the offer. Again, we do apologize.


Best Regards,


Nichole B.

My response to that:

I have tried your first two suggestions, disabling the Media Server Connection and power cycling my modem/router. This did not resolve the issue. The issue is not with my internet connection or how my PS3 is connected to the internet. I can play games online, browse the store, etc. I will not bother trying your other suggestions (taking it to a friends house, etc) because this is not an issue on my end. You can see in my history that I made a purchase on July 6 with no issues, this appears to be an issue with this specific product or promotion.

I have re-entered all my credit card information and I have tried again to purchase the year subscription for Playstation Plus. However, I am still receiving the same error. Error code: 80023102 which according to http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=939&errorCode=80023102

states: "This may be caused by scheduled maintenance or issues with the Playstation Network servers." Clearly according to your own support site - this is an issue on your end, not mine.

This also has nothing to do with the Welcome Back program, this is the Playstation Plus birthday promotion, which ends tonight.

I hope that when this issue is resolved, you will honor the 3 month bonus with the purchase of the 1 year subscription. However, if you will not honor this, then I will not purchase Playstation Plus.

- Alex

And the response I received this morning:

Alex,


Thank you for your response. We can certainly help with this error.


After further research into this error, we found that there is not a widespread problem purchasing PlayStation®Plus from the PlayStation®Store. If this problem were within our servers, no one would be able to make this purchase.


Unfortunately, this does mean that the problem lies within your network or Internet service provider. Please be sure also to try connecting your PS3™ to the Internet in a different network environment (such as a friend's house) to make sure your PS3™ can connect to the PlayStation®Network.


If you are using a wireless router, please try placing the PlayStation®3 in the DMZ of your router. This can resolve several problems with the PS3™'s network connection.


If you would like, you can try to resolve any problems with the network connection using the steps in the articles below:


Troubleshoot a Wired Network Connection on a PS3® System

Article Link:

http://playstation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/285



Troubleshoot a Wireless Network Connection

Article Link:

http://playstation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/280



Thank you for your patience and time.


Regards,


Lena A.

___________________________________

They completely disregard the fact that their own error code implicates them as the problem.  They completely disregard the fact that my internet and connection DOES work (I played the Uncharted 3 beta all weekend long, I browsed the Playstation store, I purchased the Darkstalkers game for PSP on July 6). 

Why the heck should I have to take my PS3 to another house and "try it there"?  Why should I have to change any of my network settings (like placing the PS3 in the DMZ) just to purchase one store product (Playstation Plus)? 

Ultimately, if this is the shoddy customer service Sony offers it's paying customers, than they will be receiving a lot less money from me in the future and I will NOT be purchasing Playstation Plus.

Axcalibur

Message 3 of 14 (1,843 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 06/27/2010
Offline
5406 posts
 

Re: Troubles with Playstation Store

Jul 12, 2011

Did you consider purchasing a PSN card instead?

I only mention it because for a period of about six months last year I was getting that same error code when trying to either add funds to my wallet or purchase something from the store with a credit card.  I tried everything I could think of, including trying three different credit cards from three different banks.  Everything worked great for a couple of years, then that error code came up and I couldn't get rid of it.  PSN cards worked with no problem.

Then suddenly, last fall, my credit cards started working again.  No rhyme, no reason, just started working.  Nothing changed with my credit cards, billing address, home network, ISP, etc.

I've never seen anyone come up with a fix for that error code; they have always resorted to buying PSN cards, purchasing PSN games on Amazon,com, or selling their PS3s.

Message 4 of 14 (1,843 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 09/17/2007
Offline
8173 posts
 

Re: Troubles with Playstation Store

Jul 12, 2011

Unfortunately the CSRs at Sony's customer support line likely have scripted assistance that they can provide. Since the details of a home network can vary so much there's only so much they can do. Plus if it really were a problem on the PSN Store servers it's not likely that the CSRs could do much about it.

Though if you're able to play online and purchase other items from the PSN Store it does sound like a potential problem on Sony's end. Have you tried purchasing PS+ since?

Message 5 of 14 (1,843 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 04/10/2011
Offline
2 posts
 

Re: Troubles with Playstation Store

Jul 17, 2011

Hello. I know I am respnding to this problem you have had a few year late, however I am currently having this issue. I do not have a Playstation 3. I have a Psp 3000. I really wanted to buy a few new level packs for LittleBigPlanet on the Psp and some other DLC as well. I went to the store and purchased a $ 20  Playstation Cash card. I went home and tried to connect to the internet, and it said the security on my router was not supported. Do you have any ideas of why this is the way it is or how to fix this? Or if it's just now fixable? Anyways, the next day, I went to Sam's Club with my parents. I scanned the closest internet connections and found out Sam's Club had WiFi with no security on it. It said the signal strength was 100 % so I chose to connect to it. Everything worked out. It eventually connected and said " Obtaining IP Address" like normal. Then it said " Signing In". It continued to say this for about a minute and a half, then said there was a problem. I tried it multiple times and then it started doing the same thing  but instead, it said that I have been disconnected to the sever. Throughout the day, I tried multiple different connections with unlocked Wifi but had no luck. It always said the same thing. I hope I can use my card soon. Thanks.                                                

                                                                    Sincerely,

                                                                                Sarah   ( aka sarahclapp)

Message 6 of 14 (1,843 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 09/04/2009
Offline
8 posts
 

Re: Troubles with Playstation Store

Jul 21, 2011

ProfessorTripp wrote:

Did you consider purchasing a PSN card instead?

I only mention it because for a period of about six months last year I was getting that same error code when trying to either add funds to my wallet or purchase something from the store with a credit card.  I tried everything I could think of, including trying three different credit cards from three different banks.  Everything worked great for a couple of years, then that error code came up and I couldn't get rid of it.  PSN cards worked with no problem.

Then suddenly, last fall, my credit cards started working again.  No rhyme, no reason, just started working.  Nothing changed with my credit cards, billing address, home network, ISP, etc.

I've never seen anyone come up with a fix for that error code; they have always resorted to buying PSN cards, purchasing PSN games on Amazon,com, or selling their PS3s.

It`s a good idea, no doubt.  But at the time, it wasn`t an option.  I have no stores in my town that sell them (very small town) and since the promotion was only on for a week - even if I ordered one, it wouldn`t have arrived.  Going forward, I might opt for the PSN cards anyway, since I`m not sure I want to trust Sony with my credit card information.

Message 7 of 14 (1,843 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 09/04/2009
Offline
8 posts
 

Re: Troubles with Playstation Store

Jul 21, 2011

Jag_Stilvecchio wrote:

Unfortunately the CSRs at Sony's customer support line likely have scripted assistance that they can provide. Since the details of a home network can vary so much there's only so much they can do. Plus if it really were a problem on the PSN Store servers it's not likely that the CSRs could do much about it.

Though if you're able to play online and purchase other items from the PSN Store it does sound like a potential problem on Sony's end. Have you tried purchasing PS+ since?

Jag_Stilvecchio Trophy Card

I know what you`re saying.  I just wish they stopped for a minute and said, let`s get a supervisor or someone from the technical department to actually look into this.  Even if it took too long and the promo was over, maybe they could follow up with me at a later date (which they haven`t, beside`s their survey).  In my experience as a manager, if a customer is unhappy, I do what I can to remedy it - even if it could possibly be customer error.  It`s ashame Sony doesn`t feel the same way.

So, I`m not even going to try purchasing Playstation Plus now, because at the price, it`s not worth it.  If I knew Sony would do the right thing and honor those extra 3 months for me, then I`d be willing to try.  But based on my experience with their customer service, I just can`t risk purchasing something only to be told that `the promo is over, and regardless of past problems, we won`t honor the 3 month bonus`. 

Heck at this point, I`m not even giving Sony any money... I`m still a bit bitter over this whole ordeal

Oh well.  Maybe next time they offer the promo, I`ll try.

Message 8 of 14 (1,843 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 06/27/2010
Offline
5406 posts
 

Re: Troubles with Playstation Store

Jul 21, 2011

Axcalibur wrote:

ProfessorTripp wrote:

Did you consider purchasing a PSN card instead?

I only mention it because for a period of about six months last year I was getting that same error code when trying to either add funds to my wallet or purchase something from the store with a credit card.  I tried everything I could think of, including trying three different credit cards from three different banks.  Everything worked great for a couple of years, then that error code came up and I couldn't get rid of it.  PSN cards worked with no problem.

Then suddenly, last fall, my credit cards started working again.  No rhyme, no reason, just started working.  Nothing changed with my credit cards, billing address, home network, ISP, etc.

I've never seen anyone come up with a fix for that error code; they have always resorted to buying PSN cards, purchasing PSN games on Amazon,com, or selling their PS3s.

It`s a good idea, no doubt.  But at the time, it wasn`t an option.  I have no stores in my town that sell them (very small town) and since the promotion was only on for a week - even if I ordered one, it wouldn`t have arrived.  Going forward, I might opt for the PSN cards anyway, since I`m not sure I want to trust Sony with my credit card information.

Just so you are aware, you can purchase PSN card codes from Amazon.com.  As soon as the transaction is complete they give you the code electronically so that you can input it right away into your PSN account; there is no need to wait for a physical card to arrive.

Message 9 of 14 (1,843 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 02/22/2011
Offline
1 posts
 

Re: Troubles with Playstation Store

Oct 25, 2011

hey i live in canada and i cant find the new gt5 dlc in the playstation store

where is it?

Message 10 of 14 (1,843 Views)
Reply
0 Likes