Highlighted
Jan 02 2013
By: denecca First Son 1 posts

2 PS3's in same house...

4 replies 2257 views Edited Jan 2, 2013

I recently added a 2nd PS3 to our home and would like to know the best way of setting it up in the Network for online gamiing purposes... I am also wondering if both systems can link and play black ops from one gaming disc in main PS3???  Any help would be appreciated!

Message 1 of 5 (2,257 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
29 posts

Re: 2 PS3's in same house...

[ Edited ]
Jan 2, 2013

denecca wrote:

I recently added a 2nd PS3 to our home and would like to know the best way of setting it up in the Network for online gamiing purposes... I am also wondering if both systems can link and play black ops from one gaming disc in main PS3???  Any help would be appreciated!

one of my friends has this set up. him and his brother both have their consoles set up on the same network.

you need to hook them up to the network (wired, wireless, doesn't matter, as long as they're both on the same network). Then, sign in to PSN on both consoles. you can then play games together on both systems.

What some games allow you to do is play over a LAN (not internet, the network in your home). Whenever you see this option, I recommend you use this instead of online multiplayer since you'll get better performance (less lag over local than internet).

Message 2 of 5 (2,251 Views)
MVP Support
28768 posts

Jan 3, 2013

You don't need to do anything special as far as networking is concerned, unless you want both PS3s to be able to play in the same online match at the same time.  Most online games don't allow multiple consoles to join a match if they have the same IP address, so you would need two separate broadband modems, with each PS3 connected to a different one, in order to play in the same match.

Two PS3s cannot play the same game at the same time by sharing the disk.  Neither PS3 is the "main" PS3 as far as the game is concerned; and to run the game, each PS3 must have a game disk in its own drive.  

GKP
Message 3 of 5 (2,214 Views)
First Son
7 posts

Jan 3, 2013

gkpama00 wrote:

You don't need to do anything special as far as networking is concerned, unless you want both PS3s to be able to play in the same online match at the same time.  Most online games don't allow multiple consoles to join a match if they have the same IP address, so you would need two separate broadband modems, with each PS3 connected to a different one, in order to play in the same match.

Not sure about "most games," but I've never had this problem.  I've played plenty of online games with two consoles hooked up to the same router, in the same match.  Off the top of my head, I've done it with Bad Company 2, Battlefield 3, Borderlands 1 & 2, Red Dead Redemption, and Burnout Paradise.  I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.  But yeah, I've never had a case of not being able to connect with them both at once in the same game.

I don't like the Call of Duty games at all though.  Could be those behave differently as far as networking.

Message 4 of 5 (2,192 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 27, 2015

Hello, I have this same problem now-I have the internet connection on both, but on the 2nd one, it's not allowing me to sign into 2 different PS3's on the same PSN ID-how can I get around that? Thanks!

Message 5 of 5 (708 Views)
0 Likes