Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Lombax Warrior
201 posts

Re: Bought a used PS3, found it is PSN banned

Feb 7, 2013
Where in the Sony ToS does it say that this is ok to brick the PS3 device that was used by someone else, as described in the first post here in this thread? (The PS3 was not stolen and your example of UDID blocking does not block usage of the phone itself, only the functions of that app)
Message 11 of 26 (625 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4467 posts

Feb 7, 2013
Somehow you didn't under anything of what I typed nor my examples.

Not even gonna try again.

YB

Message 12 of 26 (623 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
201 posts

Feb 7, 2013
Bookpride - somehow you missed my question... "Where in the ToS does is say that Sony can brick a PS3?" Give me the quote...
Message 13 of 26 (612 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6215 posts

Feb 7, 2013

Gilgamesh680 wrote:
Bookpride - somehow you missed my question... "Where in the ToS does is say that Sony can brick a PS3?" Give me the quote...

Sorry, don't have the quote for which you're looking, however I have a question for you Gilg:

How does SONY know, definitively, that the console has been sold to another party?  SONY's actions are to protect the rest of its customers from cheaters, hackers and abusers.  People who engage in that kind of activity would likely have no hesitation to make the claim they sold their console in order to get back online.  

I am with SONY on this one, and do feel bad for anyone who has bought a banned console.  It's like buying a stolen car - fact is it still belongs to someone else.  One of those buyer beware situations.

** Engage brain before putting mouth in gear **
Playstation Signature photo Signature-1.jpg
MVP Terms and Conditions ______(=^‥^=)______ Forum Rules of Conduct

Message 14 of 26 (610 Views)
Lombax Warrior
201 posts

Feb 7, 2013
Uncharted - There is nothing in the ToS that permits Sony to brick any individual device. They can block an ID and access to services by a user's ID, but nothing I can find says that they can cause a device to 'break' and damage private property. Legal ownership of the device, and establishing a valid ID and credit line, should give you rights to use the device, regardless of any previous owner's behavior. Microsoft does not brick a computer if the owner violates some ToS on Microsoft software; the device is independent of the owner. I can drive a car, regardless of any previous owner's tickets. Examples of stolen cars, etc. are irrelevant to the original post in this thread, describing a legal purchase of a device. If a user establishes a new ID and credit on the network they are making a fresh start and should have the chance to reform.
Message 15 of 26 (606 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
4586 posts

Feb 7, 2013

First of all, I don't see anyone here saying their console was bricked, just that they cannot access the PSN.  I do think Sony should have a way of fixing this for new owners, but it is covered by the agreement:

16. TERMINATION / CANCELLATION

If SNEI determines in its sole discretion that you or your associated Sub Accounts have violated any term of this Agreement, the Usage Terms, or any other terms and conditions connected with SEN First Party Services or have otherwise injured or damaged the SEN First Party Services community, SNEI may take all actions to protect its interests, including termination or suspension of your SEN Account (both the Master Account and any associated Sub Accounts), automatic removal or blockage of content, implementation of upgrades or devices intended to discontinue unauthorized use, permanent or temporary disablement of any system or device through which you receive SEN First Party Services or reliance on any other remedial efforts as necessary to remedy the violation. If the violation is in connection with content that you or your Sub Accounts have accessed, you must immediately cease use of such content and delete all copies from all of your devices. Upon termination of your account for any reason, you will not receive a refund for items (including subscriptions and pre-paid products or services), value accumulated on in-game items or any unused balance in your wallet except as required by law or as expressly provided in this Agreement. After your account is terminated, you will not be able to access SEN First Party Services. Any game ranking or scores, or information in connection with SEN First Party Services will not be retained or accessible by you or your associated Sub Accounts. In some situations, we may suspend or terminate your Master Account, but permit you to retain your associated Sub Accounts. If you do not terminate your Sub Accounts, you will be liable for all their acts. You may not alter any of the settings on your Master Account, including parental control settings placed on your Sub Accounts prior to the termination or suspension of your Master Account. Your Sub Accounts will be permitted to use the remaining funds in your wallet provided that the Sub Account has not exceeded the limit you placed on the Sub Account. Additionally, you will not receive further correspondence from SNEI about your Sub Accounts, including purchases made by your Sub Accounts. SNEI reserves the right to bring legal action and to participate in any government or private legal action or investigation relating to your conduct, which may require the disclosure of your information. Unless as otherwise stated in this Agreement, SNEI, at its sole discretion, may indefinitely suspend, or discontinue any and all online access to content at any time, including for maintenance service or upgrades, without prior notice or liability.

Message 16 of 26 (598 Views)
MVP Support
6215 posts

Feb 7, 2013

Gilgamesh680 wrote:
Uncharted - <snip>.

My ID is vfr_800_rider, not "Uncharted" - notice I did not address you as "Cannon Fodder", just for your info.  Those are titles/tags assigned by the forums based on the number of posts you've made.

** Engage brain before putting mouth in gear **
Playstation Signature photo Signature-1.jpg
MVP Terms and Conditions ______(=^‥^=)______ Forum Rules of Conduct

Message 17 of 26 (594 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
201 posts

Feb 8, 2013
vfr_800_rider My sincere apologies, it was my mistake.
Message 18 of 26 (581 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
201 posts

Feb 8, 2013
JERM7 - Thats it!

thank you for finding it in the ToS.

It is clear that they can 'brick' a device. Let the buyer beware.
Message 19 of 26 (580 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
48888 posts

Feb 8, 2013

sallam94x wrote:

Hello there everyone..

I am from Egypt, and I bought a used ps3 for my brother's birthday a week ago. The internet connection wasn't good enough, so we didn't try the online gaming until yesterday. Yesterday we have just had the new internet subscription (2 Mbps) so my brother asked me to create an accout on "Sony" for him and start the online gaming for him (he isn't that good at English) and I was shocked to find out that the PS3 system has been banned (800 something error).

The guy I bought the console from has already travelled abroad; he was selling it cuz he was travelling and wanted to make money..

So, is there anyway I could return the PSN functionality? or am I forced to sell this one as banned device (for a cheap price) and then buy another one?

btw, the console is Fat PS3, and I have no kind of receipt or proof of buying, but I have the original box it comes in.

Thanks in advance

http://us.playstation.com/support/contact_options/index.htm    Use that link to contact sony support.  Explain your situation and see if they can resolve it for you.  

Message 20 of 26 (576 Views)
0 Likes