Jan 09 2011
By: iiRetribution First Son 5 posts

Can other users track your IP address/personal info on PSN?

9 replies 18935 views Edited Jan 9, 2011

This probably shouldn't be a concern, but I have noticed that sometimes when I play online with my games and I happen to do really well, I get a stream of angry messages from some person who is in the same game as me.  When I tell them to calm down, I get a message back, even somethings along the lines of, "If only I knew you for real, then we could fight." or something like that.  It's probably likely from some angry little kid, but that got me wondering, could people actually find your IP address then your real address/info from using psn?  I have noticed that there have been a lot of hackers on PS3, so is it in their power to get this sort of information from other PSN users?

Message 1 of 10 (18,935 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4548 posts

Re: Can other users track your IP address/personal info on PSN?

Jan 10, 2011

No, there is currently no way for a user to track your IP, .... they are just running their mouth.

primalcarnage Trophy Cardhref="http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/SignUp">Get your Portable ID!
Message 2 of 10 (18,935 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
275 posts

Jan 4, 2012

they can pinpoint what company the ip address belongs to, and pinpoint the city you are in. sometimes the general part of the city you are in.

though if they went that far, they might go the extra step in illegally (or legaly) aquiring information from your service provider's information.

so, yes. you can be found through your IP address, but it takes some doing. the law enforcement agencies are pretty good at that sort of thing once they obtain the required paperwork.

i did a quick trace on playstation.com's ip address that ended it's hops somewhere in tokyo, japan. didn't care enough to find out more, or whether it bounced any further, but am sure it can be done.

this doesnt give me an individual's location, just the playstation server location. I can also calculate how long it typically takes my signal to reach it in ms.

does that mean some cyber bully will be knocking on your door? probably not. (who has that kind of time?)

are there monsters out there? yes.

can you get away with terrible things scott free? no.

Message 3 of 10 (18,935 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Jan 4, 2012

It's probably easier to just punch your username into Google and see what turns up. Ever Google yourself? It can be fascinating. Be careful what information you share on the internet, and make sure not all of your passwords are the same.

Message 4 of 10 (18,935 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
27488 posts

Jan 4, 2012

iiRetribution wrote:

could people actually find your IP address then your real address/info from using psn?  I have noticed that there have been a lot of hackers on PS3, so is it in their power to get this sort of information from other PSN users?

No.  First of all, your IP address isn't consistent; unless you have a static Internet IP address, which most ISPs don't even offer to residential customers. You IP address isn't associated with your personal information even in your ISP's systems.  It is just assigned at random-based on when your modem happened to last be reset, or renewed its IP address.  Because your IP address is assumed to be random, it isn't stored as part of your PSN profile, so even if hackers had your profile information, they would not know your IP address.  Even if they did, that would only tell them which ISP you were using while you were playing.  They would have no way of converting that to your name or street address.  Only law enforcement agencies and courts can get that information from ISPs.

There haven't been a "lot" of hackers on PSN, as far as user profile information is concerned.  There were a few, but the information they allegedly stole has not been found in any place where someone playing online could get their hands on it.  That information is worth money to cyber-criminals.  The hackers aren't going to post it where anyone can get it for free. They aren't WikiLeaks. Your PSN profile is supposed to include your home address, and if the one that you put in your profile was correct then someone on the Internet has it; but you don't need to worry about chumps ranting in online multi-player games obtaining that information.  They wouldn't even know where to look.

There is no publicly-available link between your PSN screen name, and your real identity; unless you, or someone you know, created one by associating the two on a public web site somewhere.  As potatobreath suggested, you can discover if that is the case by doing an Internet search on your screen name.  That's all most people know how to do.

GKP
Message 5 of 10 (18,935 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4029 posts

Jan 4, 2012

gkpama00 wrote:

There is no publicly-available link between your PSN screen name, and your real identity; unless you, or someone you know, created one by associating the two on a public web site somewhere.  As potatobreath suggested, you can discover if that is the case by doing an Internet search on your screen name.  That's all most people know how to do.

GKP

As has been previously stated it is relatively impossible for someone to track you down based upon logging into PSN.  The only way that I am aware of is if your real name, and PSN id are posted somewhere online which then could lead to a social media search, etc.  It's always a good idea to be careful what info you post!  

-SP

Message 6 of 10 (18,935 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
1 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 17, 2013

Short answer is Yes, realisticly speaking, No I highly doubt a 13 - 17 year old has enough working knowledge of networking to locate you. Is it impossible? No but HIGHLY UNLIKELY.

Message 7 of 10 (17,748 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Feb 4, 2014

Yes this is VERY possible, and honestly, if i were you don't worry about it. IP Addresses are supposed to be public, as they are made to be able to trace connections from one device to another via the internet. Also, it is very easy with a bit of know how, and the information some get from your ip address can be illegal, and happens more often then you'd think unfortunately. 

Their is something called "Packet Sniffing" which allows 'me' or 'you' to monitor the packets coming "TO" and "FROM" my/your router/modem, and see all ip's connected from the internet to your local network. Very easy, so don't worry about it. Smiley Happy

(ex. Wireshark, Cain and abel, even cmd)

As far as your personal info, depends on what you consider as 'personal'. 

Check this out>>> www.whatismyipaddress.com/iplookup

and put your ip in... You'd be quite amazed what information you can get out of just an ip-address.

Hope everyone is more informed about this now, and should not worry when someone talks about your ip/information.

Youtube Me!
MACHINIMA PARTNER
www.youtube.com/user/CODNoobFriendly
Message 8 of 10 (14,172 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

May 13, 2014

I am a computer engineer with over 20 years experience in network management and installations accross the globe. This is an interesting question so the short answer is yes. All it takes is someone with a little intelligence and the right network tools to sniff out the offending players. The amazing thing is that Sony will deny that there is any way to do this, but I have seen irrefutable evidence that it is possible, because the person tracking your ip can actually launch a DDoS attack on an IP address by deducing the data source in a lobby.

As for the personal info bit in the question, that is debateable. Achieving that would take an amazing feat of hacking and phreaking to new levels through some serious security systems, so unlikely.

There are ways that data can be piggy-backed onto source lists and trojans loaded onto a Playstation and I have seen this done on standalone networks as proof of concept. The idea being that hacked games could be reset and data destroyed by Sony or a game producer if they so wished. It is a new security concept that is being pre-alpha tested.

This should serve as a warning to would-be hackers and cheats that your unchallenged days are now numbered and that in the future you will not pwn all the players you want for stats that are lies and on top of that hacking a Playstation is a breach of copyright laws internationally and carries the same prison sentence as hacking into the Pentagon or MI6 mainframe computers. Although it is a civil offence, the use of the offending software is actually a criminal offence.

Message 9 of 10 (12,835 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Moderator
5129 posts

May 14, 2014

Please be mindful of dates before posting replies. This thread is now locked

Message 10 of 10 (12,805 Views)
0 Likes