Jan 05 2012
By: Makaidemon Splicer 83 posts

Can't re-activate PSN Account: Error (80029780) What do I do ?

47 replies 54856 views Edited Jan 5, 2012

Well, everyone, I'd like to ask for some help here, as I'm probably going to go crazy if I don't find a solution to tthis problem:

My PSN Account used to be Activated on two Playstation 3 consoles.

And then, yesterday, I wanted to go to a friend's place to play some games on his PS3, using MY game saves, By activating my PSN account on his PS3 (It's possible for me, since I have Playstation PLUS, I can download my game saves from the Playstation Network.)

So I Deactivated my PSN account from one of my two PS3's on which it was activated. By doing this procedure: ( XMB-> Account Management -> System Activation -> PS3 System -> Game -> *Deactivate System* ) I do this sometimes. I Deactivate my PSN Account from one of the two PS3's on which it was activated, then I activate it again, but on his PS3 instead. ( XMB-> Account Management -> System Activation -> PS3 System -> Game -> *Activate System* ) This way we can use my PSN Account's game saves as well as all the DLC and Downloaded games on his PS3.

And then when, I leave, I deactivate my PSN account from his PS3, and once I'm back home, I re-activate it on the PS3 I previously deactivated it on before I went to my friend's place.

No problem. I get my games back, my Playstation PLUS, my saves, eveyrthing's in order, perfectly OK. Until a few days ago.

Three days ago, I learned that Sony had changed the number of PS3''s that the same PSN Account can be activated on... From 5 to 2. Well that's okay but I had a problem. A few years ago, I had one of the very first 60 GB PS3's... And it eventually died on me without me being able to deactivate my PSN account on it before it ''died''.

I went on Qriocity's website three days ago. (don't remember exactly where though...) And I did that procedure that you can only do on every 6 months. The one lets you de-activate your PSN Account on ALL the PS3's it was ever activated on. I did this so that my current two PS3's would be the only ones with my Activated PSN account on them, once I reactivated them after doing that on Qriocity's website.

So I Activated one of my PS3's again after that procedure on Qriocity's website (Just one, not both of them) And it was all fine, like usual. & Then yesterday I went to my friend's place. I deactivate my account from the ONE PS3 it was activated on before I leave, and once I turn my friend's PS3 on... I TRY to activate my account on it but it did not work. I got this message:

Activating, please wait...

An error has occured.

(80029780)

So then I freaked a bit. Especially since this meant that none of my PS3's had my PSN account activated on them. I tried downloading a dlc. It didn't work.

''An error has occured during the install operation.'

(80029780)

The same error message.

Then I tried one of the games I had downloaded last week on his PS3, and it was back to being a demo. Once I tried to download the full game pass for this game, I got to see the same error message.

Then I deactivated my Account from his PS3, even though it was not activated... Just to see what would happen. I tried activating it again, and no luck.

When I got back home I tried to activate my PSN account back on the PS3 I had deactivated it from... And I got the same error message as the one I got on my friend's PS3. I tried activating it on my other PS3, same problem. Then, I tried activating it again this morningf and it still didn't work... So, having no better idea of what to do, I formated one of my two PS3's this morning. But even after doing that, I still get the same error message:

(80029780)

So I went on this website (Playstation Knowledge Center) to try and find out what this error code meant. And here's the information I got:

''80029780               Unable to activate system

Description: You have reached the maximum number of downloads for an unactivated system. This will not affect systems that are already activated on your

Playstation Network account.

Try this:

Please wait seven days before you download more content to a system that is not activated to your Playstation Network account.''

But I don't get it! The stuff I downloaded was always downloaded on PS3's with my account activated on them!

And this part: ''This will not affect systems that are already activated on your Playstation Network account.''

Does this mean that I wouldn't be getting this error message if I had not deactivated my PSN account on my PS3 before leaving for my friend's place ?

So... does that mean that this error will REALLY stop appearing if I don't download anything with my PSN account for 7 days? (Does that include re-installing Playstation Home, and downloading spaces on PS Home, cause I just re-installed it again, since I had formatted my PS3 after all... And because of that, I also have to download the updates for all my games again. Do those (as well as PS Home) count as downloads ?

Please help me with this. I don't know what to do. Thank you VERY MUCH in advance.

Message 1 of 48 (54,856 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Re: Can't re-activate PSN Account: Error (80029780) What do I do ?

Jan 5, 2012

The five console limit was for consoles and activations before November. After the deadline, the system started anew with two activations going forward. Those previous five consoles can continue to use the content they're activated for.

However, I have trouble making sense of what you want to accomplish. Why are you going through this elaborate ritual? What is the goal?

Message 2 of 48 (54,857 Views)
Splicer
83 posts

Jan 5, 2012

Well here's what I usually do.: I activate my psn account on my friend's ps3. This way we can play Blazblue Continuum Shift (A fighting game.) On his PS3.With the DLC (Add ons) I bought for this game with my psn account (Unlockable Characters) That HE did not buy with his psn account.

Anyway... All I want to know is how I can re-activate my PSN account on my two PS3's, because I keep getting this error message that stops me from activating my account on them, and thusly, stops me from playing games I bought on the Playstation Network, as well as DLC. (Add ons)

And supposedly I will stop seeing this error message if I don't download anything with my unactivated account for 7 days. This means that I can't download anything, since I currently have no ps3's on which my account is (or CAN be) activated.

Will I be able to activate my PSN account again in 7 days...?

Message 3 of 48 (54,857 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Jan 5, 2012

I recommend you just wait for a few days (not necessarily 7 days) before trying again. Maybe there is a delay between repeated activations and deactivations to avoid having people game the activation system.

If it is still a problem, then give Sony a call to have them look at your account.

Message 4 of 48 (54,857 Views)
Splicer
83 posts

Jan 5, 2012

I guess there's nothing else to do then. Well... thanks!

Message 5 of 48 (54,857 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
29 posts

Jan 8, 2012

I started a petition at change.org to ask Sony to revert back to the original 5 activations limit. Please sign the petition here: http://www.change.org/petitions/chairman-sony-computer-entertainment-of-america-restore-the-original...

Message 6 of 48 (54,857 Views)
First Son
2 posts

Jan 15, 2012

hey, the original poster said something about going to qriocity and deactivating everything once every 6 months, and i can't find it

Message 7 of 48 (54,857 Views)
First Son
3 posts

Jan 15, 2012

If you sign inon qriocity then goto account>media and devices...four squares will pop up with 4different choices.Game will be one of them,music,comic,and video are the others.Catch is you can only does this once every six months.

Message 8 of 48 (54,857 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jan 18, 2012

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH IT WORKED!!!

Message 9 of 48 (54,857 Views)
First Son
3 posts

Jan 21, 2012

Message 10 of 48 (54,857 Views)
0 Likes