Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 02 2013
By: BlogSharing First Son 1 posts

Deleting Trophies

9 replies 300 views Edited Mar 2, 2013

A couple of days ago my fat PS3 model started dying on me (heat issues). Before it finally died on me, I backed up all of my save files so I could continue playing on my new PS3 Slim. So I moved the save files to my PS3 Slim and everything was okay, until I started playing one of my games. As soon as I started the game a series of trophies popped, probably because I didn't sync them on my old PS3. Without thinking much about it I synced them to the server. Later on I realized some of the trophies that popped were for collecting the game's collectibles, and having them achieved so close apart makes it look like I cheated my way. 

As a trophy hunter I do not want to tarnish my hard achieved collection of trophies just because I forgot to sync my trophies on my old PS3. I've been removed from leaderboards and flagged as a cheater because of this... I know some of you might say "ignore other people", but I can't. I care about what others think of me. Deal with it.

My question is, why not add a feature to remove trophies / entire trophy sets from your trophy list? To prevent misuse you'll have to enter some sort of password or pin code upon trophy deletion and a recovery option will be possible. Please make it happen, Sony.

Message 1 of 10 (300 Views)
MVP Support
17574 posts

Re: Deleting Trophies

Mar 3, 2013

This is brilliant!!! I'm surprised there aren't already hundreds of threads about this. You are truly one of a kind.

Message 2 of 10 (271 Views)
VP of Gaming
30304 posts

Mar 3, 2013

ne1atall wrote:

This is brilliant!!! I'm surprised there aren't already hundreds of threads about this. You are truly one of a kind.

The true irony of this one is the OP's PSN ID!

BRIT-KO

Message 3 of 10 (266 Views)
MVP Support
15432 posts

Mar 4, 2013

BlogSharing wrote:

My question is, why not add a feature to remove trophies / entire trophy sets from your trophy list? To prevent misuse you'll have to enter some sort of password or pin code upon trophy deletion and a recovery option will be possible. Please make it happen, Sony.

The answer is no.  Just forget about it.  If trophy competition is so important to you, then the reason should be obvious.  People compete based on trophy completion. If you could just delete all trophies for any game that you didn't get 100% completion on, that would make you look like a different gamer than you actually are.  Allowing trophy deletion would be like allowing an athlete to erase the records of any competition that he didn't win.  Anyone could appear to be undefeated, even if he usually lost.  It should be obvious that this would compromise the competitive aspect of trophy collection. Sony is not going to do that.  Deal with it.

GKP
Message 4 of 10 (257 Views)
First Son
2 posts

Jun 4, 2013

The only thing that I can't seem to get someone to explain is why is it such a big deal if some of us are OCD and don't want the trophy set data on our accounts?

For example my brother came over to my house and brought with him madden nfl 10. While I was getting ready to go out for the night, he played a few games of madden. I didn't think anything of this until later on when I found out that the game had uploaded trophy information. He never even earned a trophy so the game is sitting at 0%.

Now here is the kicker, I don't own madden nfl 10, nor do I have any desire to go purchase the game and be forced to play it to get 100%, so what I can't understand is if the game is at 0%, in other words I haven't earned a trophy at all, how does that effect my gamer tag in any way (trophy collection numbers, bronze silver gold etc., gamer level, or any of that other stuff related to trophies)? I don't think it does, which therefore leads to my next question which is that if there are a significant number of ppl out there (aka, hint hint, more than 10 ppl) that are requesting this why is Sony so hard pressed not to give the ppl what they want? Last I checked Sony was in the business of making money by pleasing their customers so that they will return for more...? So to end this post I just want to say that if Sony is doing this to try and encourage ppl to buy the games that accidentally get saved to their systems, well that is just stupid and it is not working for me, and in fact is making me think that I will no longer buy Sony products due to their inability to produce the results that will please the ppl that buy their products.

And I will leave you with this, as I read in another post, after all these are just videogames; what is the big deal if there are 0% are your account? and to that I respond they are just videogames and for that Sony will lose my business forever for their inability to perform compared to their competitors (cough* cough* microsoft)

Thank you for listening

Message 5 of 10 (212 Views)
First Son
2 posts

Jun 4, 2013

No trophy deletion would be like allowing an athlete to delete the competions he never had any say in or never got to perform in because someone else signed him up and made him do it.

Message 6 of 10 (210 Views)
MVP Support
15432 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 4, 2013

Clucking_Rooster wrote:

No trophy deletion would be like allowing an athlete to delete the competions he never had any say in or never got to perform in because someone else signed him up and made him do it.

That makes no sense at all.  If you weren't in the competition, then you wouldn't have a record for it.  Sports competitions already require you to provide proof of identity before you compete, because somebody thought of sending a substitute to compete for them centuries ago.  Video games haven't solved that problem.  

The problem with your argument is this. Who exactly is going to verify that the trophy deletion is only used in the cases that you describe, and isn't used to delete trophies for games that you either could not, or didn't feel like, plat'ing?  This is just going to work on the honor system?  Because no one ever cheats on PSN, no matter how easy it is; right? How is Sony supposed to know that you are telling the truth about any of this?  It makes much more sense to just not allow trophy deletion. If you care that much, buy the game, and get the platinum trophy.  Or have someone else do it for you. Sony doesn't have any obligation to accommodate your OCD. In this case it is not in Sony's business interests.  It would make more sense for Sony to lose you as a customer.  

GKP
Message 7 of 10 (204 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jun 4, 2013
Hey gkpama00, You are a joke. 9k posts dispensing utter garbage from your mouth. Control freak much? You speak of sonys rules regarding psn and trophies specifically, in a way that would suggest that we the customer, regardless of circumstance are not entitled to a function that affects no one beyond the person who would like to clean up their trophy collection. You reply in black and white terms telling people not to make a mistake with their user profile. Laughable. Sony themselves make quite a few mistakes, they were hacked and psn went down for quite a while, not to mention the fact that a bug could ruin the ability to platinum any given game. But having said it, that is all irrelevant. Paying customers with a valid request should not be dismissed by you or the company they do business with. In short, worry about yourself and talk less. You come off as a pompous loud mouth and you embarrass yourself.
Message 8 of 10 (202 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
15432 posts

Jun 4, 2013

You are entitled to your opinion, but Sony's opinion is the only one that counts as far as this thread is concerned. Trophies have been around for years. People started posting requests to delete trophies the first year.  Sony has had four years to do this, if it wanted to do it.  It has not done it yet, so clearly it doesn't think it is something that needs to be done.  Barring the unlikely event that Sony was just waiting for you to post your brilliant business case in favor of the idea, I think it is a safe bet that if it hasn't happened four years after it was first requested, then it isn't going to happen. That is just common sense.

GKP
Message 9 of 10 (196 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Nov 12, 2013

I agree that deleting trophies should be a feature on Playstation Network.  I am a paying customer and I am also someone who switched from Xbox Live and Microsoft.  The lack of customization allowed for profiles and trophies is pathetic.  Microsoft allows you to change your Online ID anytime for $10 and you can always delete games that you have no achievements in.  I don't understand why Sony whose main competitor is Microsoft would allow them to have better service for customers.

Message 10 of 10 (112 Views)
0 Likes