Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Lombax Warrior
154 posts

Re: Downloads stop at 14%

Jul 7, 2012
Ping Tests your network speeds. Not your Bandwidth.
Message 21 of 31 (290 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
30 posts

Jul 7, 2012

Well, when i do a bandwidth test, this is what i get.

Download Speed: 39627 kbps (4953.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 3983 kbps (497.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

PC Warrior until SONY fixes stupid system glitches.
Message 22 of 31 (286 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
154 posts

Jul 7, 2012
Are you running the Test, or your ISP? Because unless your Certified, your probably not going to be able to know what to look for, and most definately would not be available to a publicly shared tool.
Message 23 of 31 (284 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
30 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 7, 2012

Well, anyway. the ps3 is limited to about 25mbps download, yet i can get above 40mpbs. so i dont believe its a file transfer problem. i believe that the HDD has been corrupted beyond repair, another factor is that this system was bought used. Either the previous owners screwed it up somehow or it was broken when they got it.

I will call and see if i can get them to run a check through and see what happens.

Message 24 of 31 (282 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
154 posts

Jul 7, 2012
Problem with that thought is the fact that you can load to an xmb. If your HDD was completely shot then you shouldnt be able to load anything at all. Take out the HDD and inspect it. Is it physically damaged? any visible dents? Do you still have your original ps3 and its hdd?
Message 25 of 31 (279 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
30 posts

Jul 7, 2012

no, the other ps3 was stripped of the blue ray drive, motherboard, and hard drive. i was contemplating using parts from this one to fix the other one.

Message 26 of 31 (277 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
37 posts

Jul 9, 2012
Just adding to previous comments - I had this exact problem in one apartment block. The same PS3 downloaded everything fine (particularly large game trials) in our first house, no problems. Then we moved into an apartment block where the Internet service was 'managed' by the building/ISP. Here nothing over the size of a small patch would download, it would hang during the download, I would have to kill the PS3 power and typically this would live the corrupt data/drive data. I formatted and replaced the drive numerous times only to have the same problem reoccur - so I pretty much gave up downloading big files. Since we moved again with a full Internet service at home, the same ps3/drive/files has no issue at all. I'm starting to suspect the connection throttling by the ISP isnt properly being handled by the file download process (so instead of retrying it's waiting and timing out). In other words I dont think the PS3 download manager is perfect, but the managed ISP service (like you I had no router to manage) is probably doing something non-standard with its signaling (my guesswork/summation)

I don't have a quick fix for you, but just to say you're not going mad :-)
Message 27 of 31 (260 Views)
Monster Hunter
37 posts

Jul 9, 2012
What I would also say is doing he low level format should reveal any problems with the drive sectors - if it formats without issue , then as I found any corruption is being caused by an incomplete file write (I think the ps3 version or file system corruption is slightly different from other systems but the effect is much the same)
Message 28 of 31 (258 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Oct 24, 2012

Yup, I've been seeing this problem happen for the better part of the last 8 months and I've grown pretty tired of it. SONY's response is really poor and they continually attempt to shift fault away from their down load management software, which is lacking on all fronts. I for one have decided to boycott their digital service until there is an actual response to the issue or we are at least told the truth behind why the error is happening. I really and truly wish that SONY were more transparent in their dealings with mistakes and shortcomings, at this stage they're just another big company that doesn't seem to view the majority of its consumers as thinking individuals. I know that there is a massive fear of backlash in this industry, but I am always more understanding and happier with my product when I know its weaknesses.

I wouldn't have spent 59.99 on a digital copy of a game if I knew that these issues were out there, I would have instead spent 63.90 on a hard copy that I knew would work -- one that I could've played that day.

Instead, I chose to support a service of a company that I now feel as though I wrongly trusted and purchased an easily corruptible product that has no simple and timely method of being backed up locally, has nigh zero warranty, takes 3 - infinity hours to download and is lacking in support from its point of sale.

Well SONY -- gentlemen, ladies -- I'm going to get back to watching my 60th (that's a modest estimation) attempt to download and play a game that I've spent $120 on and can't play due to an inferior and flawed service that was provided by a company that I fear has little business designing their own software. 

If SONY were more transparent in their error and issue reports I truly believe that a great community would rise to their aid and oh, what a world that would be.

Message 29 of 31 (190 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Oct 24, 2012
Pericynthion, I think you got it. SONY's software isn't capable of actually managing downloads through a non-standard network. So, if there is any bandwidth piping or data shaping being done the files come in corrupted. Most clients take these environments into account, but SONY doesn't appear to have taken their client software for a walk outside of the lab. I'm just wondering what's going to happen in the future as more and more ISPs move to a cap and shape model. I'll go back to digital if and when SONY patches their client protocols.
@askplaystation please tell me I'm wrong and give us an actual answer, truth always hurts less than speculation.
Message 30 of 31 (188 Views)
0 Likes