Highlighted
Jan 21 2013
By: Flenny First Son 2 posts

Game/Store Updates HORRIBLY slow

4 replies 295 views Edited Jan 21, 2013

anyone else having this issue... i've reset router and playstation... i have 50GB free space... Internet connection test says everything is good with 8mb/s download speed but a 60 mb game update says 450+minutes at 3% complete and rising

Message 1 of 5 (295 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Re: Game/Store Updates HORRIBLY slow

Jan 22, 2013

Join the club... I cannot even sinc my trophies...

Message 2 of 5 (258 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 22, 2013

Had the same problem too. The problem simply was the DNS address. My PS3 was using the default DNS address assigned by my ISP (Verizon). To fix this, I simply changed the DNS to Google's Public DNS and my games were updating at normal speed again. It now takes only a few seconds to download a 50MB update. Hope this solves the problem I saw some people having. Follow the instructions below to change the DNS.

Step 1: Go to "Network Settings"
Step 2: Now Select "Internet Connection Settings"
Step 3: You'll get a noticication, read it and click OK.
Step 4: Select your connection type, can be wireless or wired.
Step 5: Now select Custom as a connection type.
Step 6: Select your type of connection, wired or wireless.
Step 7: Now go through your steps and enter your info. If you already connected to the internet, you can just scroll through the options and leave all your previous settings the way they were or automatic until you come to "DNS Settings"
Step 8: Select "Manual"
Step 9: Enter the Primary DNS: 8.8.8.8 ; Secondary DNS: 8.8.4.4

Message 3 of 5 (254 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Jan 26, 2013

I'm having the same problem and sadly the DNS solution didn't work.  I was able to download the playstation firmware update lightning fast, and all generic internet use is working as it should...  however attempting to download patches/game updates is a no go.  The system recognizes that there is an update, asks me to download it, and after I say "yes" will load the progress bar...  but then the download just sits there until it ultimately fails and gives me the generic error code.  

Frustrating doesn't even begin to cover this issue.  It's bad enough that games need to be installed and take forever to install... then psn games require multiple large updates that (when they work) take forever...  Now they won't even load?  Unforgivable.  Meanwhile over on XBL my updates are miniscule and are loaded in seconds... not minutes.. not hours.

The game in question I'm struggling with is Gran Turismo (XL edition).  I purchased it today and after 3 hours of trying to get an update I have still yet to even see a title screen.  

I guess the positive lining to this is that this is a nice reminder as to which new next gen system to purchase first this fall...  and it's not the sony branded machine. I love my PS3 for it's blu ray and media server capabilities, but as a games machine Sony really dropped the ball.

G.A.P. Member:
Crash 'N Burn Beta Tester (PS2)
BattleField: Modern Combat Beta Tester (PS2)
Jak X Combat Racing Beta Tester (PS2)
God of War: Chains of Olympus Beta Tester (psp)
Call of Duty 4: Modern Combat Beta Tester (360)
Message 4 of 5 (205 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jan 27, 2013

thanks.... this brought the download time down to 4 minutes which is much better but i still don't get it this download should (and downloads of this size have always) take a few seconds... 

Message 5 of 5 (177 Views)
0 Likes