Mar 30 2013
By: Bamboo4You First Son 7 posts

How to use an American Express prepaid card to add funds to wallet?

3 replies 3182 views Edited Mar 30, 2013
I purchased a prepaid American Express gift card from Giant grocery store. I checked online and for some weird reason it has $49 balance. First of all, **bleep**? I was charged a $5 fee for the card already now they want to charge me another $1 for what?

Second of all, i do not know how to redeem the card. I tried entering the code in the redeem gift card/promotion code on PSN and that didn't work out. You see, this card is like a credit card and looks like one, but it has a 15 digit code on the front. 4 digits, then 6 digits, and then 5 digits. The PSN code accepts only 4 digits 3 times.

I have NEVER used a card like this before and it is very frustrating for me. I have no idea what to do Smiley Sad. Can anyone help me out here?
Message 1 of 4 (3,182 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
39468 posts

Re: How to use an American Express prepaid card to add funds to wallet?

Mar 30, 2013

Bamboo4You wrote:
I purchased a prepaid American Express gift card from Giant grocery store. I checked online and for some weird reason it has $49 balance. First of all, **bleep**? I was charged a $5 fee for the card already now they want to charge me another $1 for what?
The $1.00 charges are when Sony is checking the card to make sure it is valid, has funds, is registered & not solen etc, it's basically a security check & the $1.00 fee(s) wil be returned to your card in a day or so.

Second of all, i do not know how to redeem the card. I tried entering the code in the redeem gift card/promotion code on PSN and that didn't work out. You see, this card is like a credit card and looks like one, but it has a 15 digit code on the front. 4 digits, then 6 digits, and then 5 digits. The PSN code accepts only 4 digits 3 times.
The pre-paid card is indeed like a credit card, I am not certain that pre-paid credit cards can be used on PSN very successfully, personally you would be better using your card to purchase a PSN card, in any event the card details need to be added to your account using account management, the 1234-1234-1234 area for inputting codes is for PSN cards & promotional codes ONLY.

I have NEVER used a card like this before and it is very frustrating for me. I have no idea what to do Smiley Sad. Can anyone help me out here?

BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Message 2 of 4 (3,167 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Dec 2, 2015

I received a small pile of AMEX gift cards as well... and haven't been able to redeem them on the PS Store.  You know where they do work?  Steam.  Though they lock your steam wallet for a week or two after entry to "verify" your card is on the up and up. 

Has anyone been able to find a workaround for the PS Store?

Message 3 of 4 (1,768 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2741 posts

Dec 2, 2015
Yea, buy pre-paid PSN cards. A pre-paid credit card is not like a PSN card, so try the "redeem code" option will never work. Generally, pre-paid credit cards do not work. You could try registering the card and using the same address as you did on your PSN account but, it may not work.
Message 4 of 4 (1,764 Views)
0 Likes