Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
May 13 2013
By: Renokk2 First Son 2 posts

PS3 NAT TYPE PROBLEM!

2 replies 140 views Edited May 13, 2013

Hi,

SO basically whats happened is that my PS3 is connected to my Laptop with an ethernet cable. Which then uses the Laptop WiFi and shares my connection to the ps3. Only problem is when i do a connection test I get a NAT TYPE 2 with the message :your router may not support the use of IP fragments, Restrictions to playing some games".. and so on 

I've tried bridging my PS3 to my laptop but then the Ip address times out!

I really need help as im VERY far back from the house and i only get 20% signal from the ps3 and 70-80 from my laptop

thanks!

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 3 (140 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13615 posts

Re: PS3 NAT TYPE PROBLEM!

May 13, 2013

NAT type 2 is actually adequate for nearly all PS3 games.  NAT type 1 basically means that you are using no NAT router at all, but then you could not have your PS3 and your PC connected to the Internet at the same time.  Internet connection sharing in Windows is a very basic router, but most PS3 games won't have a problem with the packet fragmentation limit.  For online play, most netcode only sends small packets that would not need to be fragmented anyway.  There is probably a better way to go about this.  You could use one or more Wi-Fi Extenders so that you can boost the Wi-Fi signal to the point where the PS3 can use it directly.  Depending on how the building is wired, you may also be able to use a power line networking kit to connect your PS3 to the router using the electrical wiring and Ethernet cables.  

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 3 (130 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
47333 posts

Re: PS3 NAT TYPE PROBLEM!

[ Edited ]
May 13, 2013

Renokk2 wrote:

Hi,

SO basically whats happened is that my PS3 is connected to my Laptop with an ethernet cable. Which then uses the Laptop WiFi and shares my connection to the ps3. Only problem is when i do a connection test I get a NAT TYPE 2 with the message :your router may not support the use of IP fragments, Restrictions to playing some games".. and so on 

I've tried bridging my PS3 to my laptop but then the Ip address times out!

I really need help as im VERY far back from the house and i only get 20% signal from the ps3 and 70-80 from my laptop

thanks!

I would suggest getting some really long wires and running your PS3 hardwired or moving your router closer to the PS3.  Routing it through your laptop will hurt your gaming experience and some games will not let you do this as its an easy way to alter your connection (IE people do it to cheat so many games try to program a way to detect this and not let you game that way)

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 3 (127 Views)
0 Likes