Highlighted
Mar 15 2013
By: Rellings First Son 4 posts

PSN Account Hacked & Recovered

2 replies 246 views Edited Mar 15, 2013

Hey guys, early Thursday morning someone gained access to my email and psn account and proceeded to change the password and make a purchase on the psn store.

I immediately ran a Security Essentials scan, followed by a Malwarebytes scan.... both which came up clean.

I reset all passwords for email, psn, and sony network.

So far  I have not seen any more emails popping up with someone trying to reset anything else.

My question is... should I contact the PSN customer support and report that someone gained access to my account and made some purchases but I have since regained the account, or just monitor my emails and only contact if somehow he is able to to this again?

I am not looking to jump through hoops to get a refund, the purchase was relatively minor ( a 3 month $17.99 subscription to psn plus). My only worry is that somehow they see someone has accessed the account somwhere else and somehow get my account frozen.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 3 (246 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
28768 posts

Re: PSN Account Hacked & Recovered

Mar 15, 2013

A PSN account is not like a credit card.  Sony doesn't pay any attention to where your account is being accessed from, and your account won't be "frozen" for that reason. You are responsible for maintaining the security of your password, and you are responsible for anything that is done on your account if your password is compromised; including purchases.  You are not eligible for a refund anyway. Resetting your passwords was the right thing to do, and should work, unless your PC is being monitored.  There really isn't any point in notifying PSN support.  There is nothing for them to do now. Even if someone is able to get into your account again, there is nothing for PSN support to do that you could not do.  You only need to contact support if you are unable to regain control of your account by yourself.

GKP
Message 2 of 3 (227 Views)
First Son
4 posts

Re: PSN Account Hacked & Recovered

[ Edited ]
Mar 15, 2013

Thanks for the information.

Message 3 of 3 (224 Views)
0 Likes