Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 11 2014
By: Find_the_Door First Son 4 posts

Packet Fragmentation following "maintenance"

4 replies 681 views Edited Mar 11, 2014

Immediately after having to relogin today (following maintainece) I curiously ran a connection test (on PS4).  Everything went fine, but then on NAT type test it hung for quite sometime.  Then it proceeded to finsih the test as normal - then I immediately noticed that at the bottom it gave the "The router in use might not support IP packet fragmentation" error.  

Couple of things....

I own: 

1) Netgear Nighthawk

2) Motorola SB 6141 

Both hardwired through CAT6e (3 ft'rs to make sure cable runs are as short as can be)

I immediately started tinkering with my router (best consumer router available) as that's what the error  was blaming (router).  Then after no settings changed a **bleep** thing I proceeded to factory reset my router and rebuild my PS4's database.... all to no avail..... I tried setting up my internet connection via "easy" and "custom" to no success......

Then I said ___ it and competely removed the router from the equation.  Turned off the PS4 competely, rebooted my cable modem and re-ran the test............... ONLY TO GET THE SAME ERROR!!!!  

This never happened before today' - and it's irritating.

Anyone else experiencing this when they run a connection test?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 5 (681 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4476 posts

Re: Packet Fragmentation following "maintenance"

Mar 11, 2014

welcome to the forums!

yep, this is one of the inherent "risks" of online gaming, or using anothers online service. this can happen when they do back-end server maintenance/changes. they might be trying to make the majoritys connection better, but it can cause others to have problems depending on your set-up.

this explains packet loss - http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/generic-routing-encapsulation-gre/25885-pmtud-ipfrag.ht...

and doing a google search for "the router in use might not support IP packet fragmentation" will bring up tons of articles on how to fix it, including a bunch of threads from this site.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 5 (669 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Mar 11, 2014
Realized only thing I haven't done is DMZ it. DMZ'd this morning and is now working like a charm.

What the heck is the reason for this? I had virtually every firewall setting disabled.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 5 (663 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4476 posts

Mar 11, 2014

Find_the_Door wrote:
Realized only thing I haven't done is DMZ it. DMZ'd this morning and is now working like a charm.

What the heck is the reason for this? I had virtually every firewall setting disabled.

no idea off the top of my head. like i said earlier, they can make changes on the backend that affect the front end, as in, us connecting well or not depending on our set-ups.

honestly, it's one of the hardest things to try to help people with, as soon as there is an issue, most people automatically blame the console or sony, when in reality, it's usually an issue with their own network or an issue with their ISP. comcast & at&t u-verse are notorious for causing connection problems.

usually it's the same line of "my network is great! all of my other devices, (which aren't playstations, on different networks) work fine"...and so on...

anyway, sorry i couldn't tell you the cause, but i'm glad you got it sorted!

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 5 (655 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Mar 11, 2014

Just for others who might come across this thread when trying to figure out the packet fragmentation error / warning...

I have my PS4 in a DMZ and still get the message after running an internet test. Other threads will show the same results so it doesn't appear that DMZ is the solution. 

The warning / error is basically stating that your router is sending information to the PS4 in larger packets than it is capable of handling. Alot of people have had success by changing the MTU settings (usually defaulted to 1500) to an optimal (lower) number. 

This error so far has had no effect on my multiplayer / party or any other psn experience. It also is not consistent (one day I get it, another day I dont). 

I haven't tried chaning any settings (on PS4 or router) - but may mess with the MTU value if it does become a problem. 

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 5 (648 Views)