Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 16 2013
By: mmmitchy First Son 6 posts

Paid $54.99 for a game that I can't download due to insufficient space.

[ Edited ]
10 replies 388 views Edited Feb 17, 2013

So... just bought Ni no Kuni, was really pumped to finally play it. I wasn't aware until 5 minutes ago that PSN requires double the space of a game for it to install, which is now causing me massive problems.

I have one of the original 40 GB models. After system software is installed, my available space drops to 37 GB. Ni no Kuni requires 21.9 GB of space, and since Playstation needs twice that space to install something correctly, i'm left with needing 43.8 GB of free space. I have 0 games left on my PS3, my Game Data Utility folder consists of a Mass Effect 3 patch and a ModNation Racers patch. I have no music. I have no pictures. The only thing left on my PS3 are save files... that's it. At the moment, my System Information says "27 GB / 37 GB Free Space"

So yeah... is there any way I can get the game I payed $55 for?

EDIT: Just got off the phone with support, they put in a case file which is going to take 10-15 days to determine whether I am elegible for a refund. For those who find this post later through Google, call support -- they will work with you.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 11 (388 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
371 posts

Re: Paid $54.99 for a game that I can't download due to insufficient space.

Feb 16, 2013
I don't see how you have survived for that long with such a small hdd. Why don't you upgrade your HDD?
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 11 (361 Views)
First Son
6 posts

Feb 16, 2013
Because I don't play my PS3 anymore. Prior to this game, it's been 11 months since the last time I turned it on. I'm a PC gamer, but this game is only available for PS3. 11 months ago, games were 5-10 GB a piece, so I could put a decent amount on it before having to delete stuff.

To add to my original post, I deleted Playstation Home and a massive amount of saved files and it only bumped me up to 30 GB / 37 GB, freeing up 3 GB. Still not enough space... I don't know what else to do.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 11 (359 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28434 posts

Feb 17, 2013

mmmitchy wrote:
Because I don't play my PS3 anymore. Prior to this game, it's been 11 months since the last time I turned it on. I'm a PC gamer, but this game is only available for PS3. 11 months ago, games were 5-10 GB a piece, so I could put a decent amount on it before having to delete stuff.

To add to my original post, I deleted Playstation Home and a massive amount of saved files and it only bumped me up to 30 GB / 37 GB, freeing up 3 GB. Still not enough space... I don't know what else to do.

Get a bigger HDD.

BRIT-KO

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 11 (339 Views)
Splicer
63 posts

Feb 17, 2013

I agree, get a bigger HDD, but be away this will cost you about $50+ more (in addition to what you've already spent on that game).

Sorry, otherwise going with whatever customer service says seems to be the only option. 

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 11 (335 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
371 posts

Feb 17, 2013
What was the point in deleting all that stuff if you knew it wasn't going to fit?
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 11 (332 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13592 posts

Feb 17, 2013

The 40GB PS3 was never designed to download Blu-ray PS3 titles. There weren't any in the Playstation Store back in 2007. There are lots of PS3 games that are too large to install on that hard drive.  If you plan to start buying full PS3 games in the Playstation Store, then you need to upgrade your hard disk drive.  It is as simple as that.  Otherwise, you should have purchased the game on Blu-ray disk.  The Playstation Store terms-of-service specifically states that you are responsible for ensuring that you can download any content that you purchase in the Playstation Store.  Sony isn't responsible for whether or not you have enough disk space, or a clean enough network connection, to download the content.  Therefore you are not eligible for a refund.  You may get one anyway, but don't be surprised if customer service says no.

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 11 (332 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Feb 17, 2013

"The Playstation Store terms-of-service specifically states that you are responsible for ensuring that you can download any content that you purchase in the Playstation Store. "

The Playstation Store shows the game being 21 GB, were it truely just 21 GB, I would have plenty of room; 9 GB remaining in fact. But what got me was the game needing double the space temporarily -- that information was no where to be found when purchasing.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 11 (326 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7760 posts

Feb 17, 2013

I was going to link to a 250GB HDD for less than $50, but you can get a 500GB HDD for just a few dollars more...  would probably be your best bet in any case.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 11 (304 Views)
First Son
6 posts

Feb 18, 2013
That's actually the one I have bookmarked in the event they decline my refund. Thanks. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 11 (275 Views)
0 Likes