Highlighted
May 01 2013
By: Zedonus0 First Son 19 posts
Accepted Solution

Previously downloaded movies

9 replies 308 views Edited May 1, 2013

I got my new hard drive for my PS3, but I can't download my movies back onto this drive since PlayStation Store changed. I was able to download my movies from my download list before, but they aren't on the list anymore. I even backed them up & downloaded them, but I can't watch them. I only get a screen saying I have to renew the licence in PlayStation Store. How do I do that because I don't see an answer for this?

Message 1 of 10 (308 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
11942 posts

Re: Previously downloaded movies

May 1, 2013

Videos from the store are a one-time download. Once they're downloaded, they disappear from your list. Try giving Sony a call. They may take pity on you and renew your licenses.

Phone Icon
PHONE 800-345-SONY
Mon - Sun 6:00AM - 10:00PM Pacific
Message 2 of 10 (303 Views)
MVP Support
39470 posts

May 1, 2013

Zedonus0 wrote:

I got my new hard drive for my PS3, but I can't download my movies back onto this drive since PlayStation Store changed. I was able to download my movies from my download list before, but they aren't on the list anymore. I even backed them up & downloaded them, but I can't watch them. I only get a screen saying I have to renew the licence in PlayStation Store. How do I do that because I don't see an answer for this?

johngie above is correct, videos, movies & possibly TV Shows too are all one-time only downloads, you didn't know this but if you had you would have had the opportunity to have backed them up.

Do as johngie has said & give Sony customer support a call, sometimes they'll do a one-time only reinstatement of your licenses.

Good luck.

BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Message 3 of 10 (300 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

May 1, 2013
And before there's a "SONY SUCKS, IT'S ALL THEIR FAULT" response, when it comes to movies and television shows, the extreme licensing restrictions are set in place by the MPAA and the broadcasting companies which produced the TV Shows. They are the ones who told Sony "If you want to be able to sell these videos on your PSN Store, you must force the consumer to abide by these rules or we won't let you do it."
Message 4 of 10 (292 Views)
First Son
19 posts

May 2, 2013
Thanks guys for the help. I definitely won't be saying Sony sucks, they actually have helped me with some of my problems in the past. Microsoft banned my account & won't post their number anymore so when I looked to them for help, they made me message then a few times & still nothing was done. I just don't care for the updated PSN Store, but it does load much faster.
Message 5 of 10 (283 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jun 14, 2013
I will never buy a movie from Sony again I will go to Apple iTunes to buy movie. I had to reset my PlayStation and I lost my movie and they will not give me the movie back
Message 6 of 10 (269 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 26, 2014

harry potter wont open it opens the psn store to 'renew licence' how do i renew the licence?

Message 7 of 10 (226 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Support
5898 posts

Jan 27, 2014

bubbley888 wrote:

harry potter wont open it opens the psn store to 'renew licence' how do i renew the licence?

If this is on the PS4, go to Settings>PSN>Restore License>Restore

Thanks,

U--J

PlayStation Moderation and Support Guy @ www.playstationsupportforum.com
Message 8 of 10 (206 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
44 posts

Jan 29, 2014

Zedonus0

From what I understand (after reviewing my own Download List), is that videos are now re-downloadable at any time.  However, you need to be signed into the account that purchased the movies in order to use them.

Since you're not seeing them on your Download List, and are receiving a message indicating that you need to renew the licenses, this tells me that you're not signed into the account that purchased those movies. 

Message 9 of 10 (188 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Nov 21, 2015
LOL after looking at this now and seeing the improvement for just streaming purchased items I can definitely say I can look back and laugh at this. I'm thankful they allowed me to renew my license back then, and now I can just stream my movies through both my consoles and my TV. Great job Sony.
Message 10 of 10 (53 Views)
0 Likes