Highlighted
Mar 01 2013
By: Demon_Skeith First Son 3 posts

Problems connecting to a wired modem

4 replies 267 views Edited Mar 1, 2013

Hello,

my grandma recently got herself a PS3 and I'm trying to get her set up for internet. She has the new super slim white PS3 and her ISP has already come and hooked up a wired broadband modem. She has no PC so the modem is connected directly into her PS3 and I every time I tried to get her connected it kept getting the IP address but failed to get a connection and gives a 80028EA8 error.

I have power cycled all the equipment and that didn't seem to help.

Only thing I can think of that is wrong that I may need to enter all the modem info manually (instead of using easy option). Can anyone here confirm that?

Message 1 of 5 (267 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18928 posts

Re: Problems connecting to a wired modem

Mar 2, 2013

Is this really for her or for you Smiley Happy Go grandma Smiley Tongue

|Welcome to the PlayStation Community Forums

We need more info: ISP name, the brand and model of the modem you are using.

Anyways, by the sound of it either: 1. your ISP is undergoing maintenance [Make sure that all the modem lights are on] Or 2. the way you are tackling the PS3 network setup is not working.

Do this and see if it works for you.

Go to: Settings/Network Settings/Internet Connection Settings

Select a Setting method: Do Not use the Easy option. Select Custom and move on.

Select a Connection Method: Select Wired Connection

Select the operation mode of the network device: Auto-Detect

IP Address Settings: Automatic

DNS Settings: Automatic

MTU: Automatic

Proxy Server: Do Not Use

UPnP: Enable   [If you have a combo box Modem/Router. If you have ATT or Verizon then you have a combo box.
                           Note, UPnP is not enabled at the router level then UPnP will not work]
            Disable  [If all you have is a modem. If you have Comcast you will have a modem]

Now save the setting and Test the connection.

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 2 of 5 (259 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Mar 2, 2013
Nope it's for my grandma, she's been with playstation since the PS1 days.

Her ISP is mediacom and they gave her a Cisco DPC2100 modem.

And I pretty much did what you listed.

Message 3 of 5 (254 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 2, 2013

I tried again today, and now I got DNS errror 80710102, so I'm wondering if the modem won't work with the PS3? Should I get the ISP to switch it out for a different model or maybe I need a router? what brand is best to use with PS3?

Message 4 of 5 (229 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18928 posts

Mar 3, 2013

Demon_Skeith wrote:

I tried again today, and now I got DNS errror 80710102, so I'm wondering if the modem won't work with the PS3?

Should I get the ISP to switch it out for a different model or maybe I need a router? what brand is best to use with PS3?

The solution for DNS issue you are not experiencing is to change your ISPs DNS IPs for a couple of reliable DNS. I always recommend the OpenDNS IPs 208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220  You will have to manually enter these on the PS3 under the IP settings. On the same screen you will be required to enter your IP, subnet mask, etc. Since you don't have a PC you will have to get these by calling your ISP.

You have not posted the results for the PS3 internet test.

|Anyways, if you want to do a little bit of troubleshooting then do the following.

|Using the PS3 web browser navigate to www.google.com If you see the google page then you have internet access and your ISP's DNS is working again.

|If the above didn't work then on the PS3 web browser navigate to 173.194.70.113 that is the IP address of www.google.com. If by navigating directly to the IP you are able to see the google webpage then this means that you have internet access but your ISP's DNS is down.

|If none of the above work then you've no internet access.

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 5 of 5 (220 Views)
0 Likes