I recently sold my Xbox 360 and bought a PS3; and even though I have to restart my game collection I don't regret the decision. I'm not a very organized person, however, as my old Xbox games were scattered about the house (often in the wrong cases). So I've been thinking about forgoing physical copies entirely and purchasing only digital copies (a boon to the environment as well), but I'm not entirely sure how this works on the PSN. I will definitely be upgrading my HDD in the future (I love how the PS3 allows me to choose which HDD or SSD I want instead of locking it down and overcharging for an upgrade like Microsoft). Before I decide which version of Mass Effect 3 to buy, I have a few questions: 1) How permanent are Playstation Store purchases? Will games on the Playstation Store always be available to download from the Playstation Store? Will these games be supported throughout the lifecycle of the PS3 and throughout the lifecycle of the PS4? 2) Can I redownload games I've previously purchased if I delete the game from my PS3? 3) If I upgrade my HDD, can I redownload purchased content to my PS3? 4) If I get a new PS3, can I redownload purchased content? 5) If I get a PS4 a few years down the road, will I still be able to redownload content I purchase now? Or are these games only available for the PS3? Sorry if these questions are redundant, but I really like the idea of putting a 500 GB SSD hybrid in my PS3 and having an extensive digital video game library. I just want to make sure that there isn't any sort of restrictive DRM nonsense.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Welcome to PlayStation and the PlayStation Network. Here are some answers to your questions:
1. When you purchase an item from the PSN it goes to your download list and you can download it over and over again to your console. As far as games staying on the PSN, I've only seen two or three get taken down but that's because the licenses to those games expired and the publishers weren't allowed to sell it anymore (TMNT Turtles in Time Re-Shelled is an example) and your purchases will go for the life of the PS3. I don't really know as far as the PS4 goes it's still too up in the air for that.
2. Yes you can redownload the games if you delete them because your every purchase is logged in purchase history (indicated by a download icon in the PS Store).
3. Yes you can redownload if you upgrade your Hard Drive on your PS3.
4. This is a tricky one. Per the terms and conditions you are allowed to have content downloaded on TWO PS3s at any given time. Anything beyond that and you can't download the content again onto the third PS3 however there is a way to deactivate any past systems should you forget to do one but you can only deactivate all consoles once every six months.
5. I can't say for sure because I don't know how the PS4 is going to operate or function.
Just remember that you can only download content on TWO activated consoles at one time. I hope this helps.
Exactly, your content is tied to your PSN ID and as long as you don't exceed the two console activation limit you will be just fine. Oh I also should let you know if you purchased a game, and it is later taken down in the store, you still have access to the game through your download list. I'm glad I could help.
Ah... I didn't mean for that to come out as a Wall-O'-Text. Doesn't look like I can edit it either.
If you look next to your original post, at the top of the page, under Actions, there should be an edit post as an option. If you hit that on any of the topics you created you can edit them that way.