Highlighted
Feb 18 2013
By: drags_ First Son 8 posts

Refund on movie rental that won't download or stream?

7 replies 2796 views Edited Feb 18, 2013

I went to rent The Dark Knight Returns tonight and after the purchase it asked how I wanted to play it, I selected Stream and it gave me a 403 error, tried downloading it and got the same error. I eventually gave up and just rented it on Telus on demand, so I am not even interested in trying to download it now. I spend about $30-$40 a month on PSN games so I will be quite upset if I can't get my $6 back, seeing that I am a very loyal Playstation member and have never had a problem like this before. So can I get my money back since this error was not my fault?

Message 1 of 8 (2,796 Views)
MVP Support
40582 posts

Re: Refund on movie rental that won't download or stream?

Feb 18, 2013

Generally all sales from the PlayStation Store are final & no refunds are given, you could try contacting Sony customer support to see what they say, the number Is below.

Phone Icon

PHONE 800-345-SONY
Mon - Sun 6:00AM - 10:00PM Pacific

BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Account & billing Support -1-877-971-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri 8am - 8pm PST
Message 2 of 8 (2,783 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Feb 19, 2013

Funny, I had a similar problem Saturday night when I ordered a movie. It was so slow, 3% downloaded in 1 hour so I contacted PSN CS and the agent said they don't refund, even though PSN couldn't deliver. Movie finally finished around 20 hours later. You could not even watch it as it was downloading because it was so slow.I figured it was a $6.00 lesson learned.

There are some on this forum who are nothing but apologist's for the PSN and can't give any real solutions because the PSN does not care how long it takes or even if you get what you paid for. They will tell you it's your fault that PSN can't handle the load on their system. It's your fault that PSN does not have enough bandwidth to deliver what they sell. They are the type of people who take whatever they are given without any reasonable expectation of getting what you paid for. They cheer  the mediocre service that PSN provides with unbridled enthusiasm . These people will order their food the way they like it but will take whatever comes out of the kitchen because they don't feel like they are worthy to expect what they paid for. These are the PSN boot lickers, no back bone or guts. Don't listen to them. If PSN won't refund your money, dispute it with your credit card company. The plebes who roam this forum  will threaten you with kicking you off the forum if you dare to take back what's yours. That would be a blessing from what I've been reading. These  lackeys are faceless bullies who are nothing in real life. It's funny and sad to read their pathetic replies about how the PSN can do no wrong. It's your fault. 

Message 3 of 8 (2,762 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
30099 posts

Feb 19, 2013

You seem to be reading a different forum than then one that is actually posted here, but you are entitled to your opinion.  The reality is that Sony has no control over the quality of service, or capability, of the Internet. No one does, in terms of being able to guarantee any specific level of service.  All of the data flows over multiple networks, owned by different companies, with almost no coordination, and only the most basic level of mutual obligation.  It is inherently unreliable, and was in fact designed to be.  The Internet, which was originally created by the US military as ARPAnet, was designed under the assumption that most of it would be destroyed in a war.  The main design goal was to ensure that whatever pieces of the network remained intact would still be usable.  It does that.  It doesn't do much else. The IPv6 protocol updates the Internet for the way that it is used today, but it will take many years for all of the network equipment and devices to be updated to the point where people actually start using it.  For now, service quality on the Internet remains unreliable.

Currently you can buy whatever Internet access you want, and still access PSN.  Sony has no control over your choice.  Some people are making choices that are frankly ill-suited for accessing a lot of PSN content, especially downloads that are tens of gigabytes in size, or HD streaming video. Some people live in areas where they don't have a suitable choice, so they are using whatever they have available.  That is fine if you are using them at your own risk.  It is not fine if you are using them at Sony's risk, which would be the case if Sony gave a refund for any content that you can't download successfully, or stream satisfactorily; on your tethered mobile phone, Mi-Fi connection, your neighbor's unsecured wireless router, or whatever else you are using. Given the vagaries of the Internet, it is unreasonable to expect Sony to guarantee your ability to download content over networks that Sony has no control over.  Certainly no more reasonable than Sony expecting you to buy better Internet access, even if it means moving closer to a large city. If Sony had to do that, the company would probably stop offering video sales in the Playstation Store entirely.  It isn't a particularly profitable business, and certainly not worth the trouble of getting content providers to agree to such generous customer policies.  That wouldn't benefit you, and it certainly wouldn't benefit the millions of people for whom the current system works just fine almost all of the time. 

If you have better alternatives, by all means use them.  If you don't, then your complaints mean little. What Sony is doing is reasonable, and typical of online content delivery.  When a cable company offers on-demand video, it owns and controls the entire network including your set top box.  If the content can't be delivered, that can't be anyone else's fault; so you get a credit if you can't watch your video.  The Internet is an entirely different story, and only a fool would guarantee anything about it.

GKP
Message 4 of 8 (2,755 Views)
First Son
8 posts

Feb 19, 2013

Well I finally got through after a 15 minute wait, she submitted it to the refund review so hopefully I can get my money back for their screw up... don't disappoint me Sony!

Message 5 of 8 (2,740 Views)
First Son
9 posts

Feb 20, 2013

Hmm, funny but my internet speed is 10 Mbs download consistently on my cable modem. Never a problem downloading movies from Netflix. Although there is not much of a choice for newer movies on Netflix, I can stream  movies almost instantly. Netflix is on the internet, right? So trying to blame me and my choice of internet  providers and making it my fault PSN can't deliver their content does not cut it. If you read my previous post then you would know that you fit the bill of the type of person I was describing. Perfectly. 

Message 6 of 8 (2,732 Views)
First Son
2 posts

Jun 15, 2016

So basically we cant  get a refund or even complain about a terrible service that sony can so call provide? I just tried watching deadpool, but so far 5 mins in and had to restart the ps4 4 times already! basic trade and standards in the uk, if a product fails to meet the basic standards set,  then a full repacement or refund should be given, even if it is stted as a "good will gesture"  (not excact wording but off the top of my head)

I've had both good and bad experiences off sony in the past with the original PS3 which was worth it's weight in gold! but the PS4 and services it offers, i'm sorry but i'm headed to the darkside and xbox will be the way ahead, at least you expect some hiccups with that system, and from what i've heard, better customer service.

With the PS4 i cant even download the movie to watch in full 1080p at a later date, i have to stream, but error....error.. unable to download due to limited bandwidth!! what the holy **bleep** sony!!! i have a download speed average of 111.6Mps over WiFi

Keep this up and you will go the way of SEGA but without the gifted inheritance!

Message 7 of 8 (536 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
9603 posts

Jun 15, 2016

And the moral of the story is.......

NEVER buy or rent a movie from the Playstation Store. See it in theaters, buy the DVD or wait for it to come on Netflix or HBO. Smiley Indifferent

g

Here's symbols to copy & paste into your friends list comment. ℡ № ª
⇒⇔ ¹ ² ³ ® ™ ‰ © ½ ¼ ¾ ←↑→↓ψ † ‡ ※♪♭♯★ ☆▲▼△▽◆ ◇ ○ ◎ ● ■ □ 回 〓 √∞♂♀ 웃 유
Ω ①②③④⑤⑥⑦⑧⑨⑩⑪⑫⑬⑭⑮⑯⑰⑱⑲⑳ ㎎ ㎏ ㎜ ㎝ ㎞ ㎡ ㏄ ≒ Æ æ η α β ε α₩£ ≡ » « ¶ † εïз ∵
∴ #’〈 〉《 》「」『 』【 】〔 〕ミ 彡 ッ シ!#@ $ %
&()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz[\
]^_`{|}~¢£ㄻ ㄼ ㄽ ㄾ ㄿ ㅁ ㅂ ㅄ ㅅ ㅆ ㅇ ㅈ ㅊ ㅋ ㅌ ㅍ ㅎㄱ 을 ㄺ卍∃⊥ ∀ Ξ Σ Π 文 ≒≠ ≡≦
≧ⅠⅡⅢ Ⅳ Ⅴ Ⅵ Ⅶ Ⅷ Ⅸ Ⅹ ⅰ ⅱ ⅲ ⅳ ⅴ ⅵ ⅶ ⅷ ⅸ ⅹ¬ ̄ ±∂∩∀∇∠∧∨∩∪∫∬⊂⊃⊥⊿⌒─│┌┐└┘├┤┬┴┼─
━│┃┌┏ ┐┓└┗ ┘┛├┝┠┣ ┤┥┨┫┬ ┯ ┰ ┳ ┴ ┷ ┸ ┻ ┼ ┿ ╂ ╋
Message 8 of 8 (531 Views)
0 Likes