Jan 15 2013
By: chwder21 First Son 3 posts

Renew license to access a game

4 replies 1195 views Edited Jan 15, 2013

Hi, I recently recovered an account on my ps3 and activated it and downloaded a game that I have purchased. When  i try to play the game it gave me ann error saying that i need to get/renew the license to continue. So i got ot playstation store and it wants me to buy the game again. I went on the the official playstation website and it said I have to buy it again or i can log into the purchasers account, load the game, and start the game on the account i wanted to play it on, but only if the game did not use NDRM (which it obviously doesnt). This fixed the problem, the game ran fine and i was able to play multiplayer. When i tried inviting my brother and some other friends to the game, the friends list said im not playing any game, therefore they could not join me. I restarted my ps3 and tried to laucnht he game again but it wants me to renew the license again. I didnt want to go through long process of completing this each time after i turn my ps3 off. I went to playstation live chat but no one could help me (as usual) and they sent me here. The game im reffering to is Grand Theft Auto 4. I shouldnt have to buy the game twice just to play it on another account.

Thank you

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 5 (1,195 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
25947 posts

Re: Renew license to access a game

Jan 15, 2013

chwder21 wrote:

Hi, I recently recovered an account on my ps3 and activated it and downloaded a game that I have purchased. When  i try to play the game it gave me ann error saying that i need to get/renew the license to continue. So i got ot playstation store and it wants me to buy the game again. I went on the the official playstation website and it said I have to buy it again or i can log into the purchasers account, load the game, and start the game on the account i wanted to play it on, but only if the game did not use NDRM (which it obviously doesnt). This fixed the problem, the game ran fine and i was able to play multiplayer. When i tried inviting my brother and some other friends to the game, the friends list said im not playing any game, therefore they could not join me. I restarted my ps3 and tried to laucnht he game again but it wants me to renew the license again. I didnt want to go through long process of completing this each time after i turn my ps3 off. I went to playstation live chat but no one could help me (as usual) and they sent me here. The game im reffering to is Grand Theft Auto 4. I shouldnt have to buy the game twice just to play it on another account.

Thank you

Welcome to the PlayStation Community.

Purchases are tied to the purchasing account, however if the other account is a sub-account on the same PS3 as the purchasing account then you would probably be able to play.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 5 (1,184 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
45121 posts

Jan 15, 2013

chwder21 wrote:

Thank you

Did you try re-downloading it from the PS store yet?  There is a menu called "view downloads" where you can re-download anything you bought on your account for no charge.

If you did try that did you try it from a sub account instead of the main account?

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 5 (1,182 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jan 15, 2013

Me and my brother have ps3's but his stopped working, so he needs to play on mine. So i recovered his account but now he cant play his game on my ps3 even if he is on the purchasers account. Is there no possible way of being able to play it

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 5 (1,171 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jan 15, 2013

Yeah i downloaded it from the sub account today and the game worked but on the friends list it says in not playing any games. So i cant play with my friends

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 5 (1,170 Views)
0 Likes