Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 27 2013
By: LicantroLeo First Son 16 posts
Accepted Solution

So Paypal method won't work from other countries? (Complain).

9 replies 5979 views Edited Jan 27, 2013

I've tried several times but PSN will cancel my attempts to add funds via paypal even when I have plenty of funds in my paypal account. I'm  a foreign player using an USA psn account (As other milions of people do too), so apparently PSN won't allow transactions from foreigners even when you've pruchased many titles (using voucher codes) for several years now. I'm able to purchase from hundred of places in the web via paypal, but not the psn, specially when they finally allowed paypal (my primary income), that it's frustrating.

It baffles me that PSN restricts this exchange method due stupid policies when I repeat, millions of people from all other countries also have USA PSN accounts to have the option to purchase from different PSN stores. Specially when most people still don't have an linked STORE to their country, my case.

I really hope the policies changes in the future but so far this is really disappointing.

Message 1 of 10 (5,979 Views)
Welcoming Committee
6471 posts

Re: So Paypal method won't work from other countries? (Complain).

Jan 27, 2013
Well, sony doesn't want people creating accounts in countries they do not live, it's in the rules. It's the same for credit cards, the card must match your address, so it's not surprising that Paypal does the same. PSN only accepts funds in the currency from the country as well. So I wouldn't expect this to ever change.
Message 2 of 10 (5,975 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Community Manager
243 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 30, 2013

LicantroLeo wrote:

I've tried several times but PSN will cancel my attempts to add funds via paypal even when I have plenty of funds in my paypal account. I'm  a foreign player using an USA psn account (As other milions of people do too), so apparently PSN won't allow transactions from foreigners even when you've pruchased many titles (using voucher codes) for several years now. I'm able to purchase from hundred of places in the web via paypal, but not the psn, specially when they finally allowed paypal (my primary income), that it's frustrating.

This is correct, US PSN accounts must be filled with US PayPal accounts. I'm sorry that you're disappointed by this, but that's the way the system works.  

I'm a little confused as to what you mean when you say you don't have a linked Store in your country? Being from the US, I'm not familiar with what you're referring to. 

Message 3 of 10 (5,933 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
36 posts

Jan 30, 2013

Hello cheshire__smile,

This restriction, of making mandatory consumers to have a billing address registered on the seller's service, in this case SEN, goes against the core of Paypal's concept, which is trusting your billing info ONLY to them and making purchases from stores locally and all over the globe without the need to share delicate personal info.

So this restricion makes Paypal 100% useless - why would I checkout with Paypal if I MUST have that very same credit card registered on Paypal, registered also on the SEN account anyway? - assuming I use only 1 credit card for online purchases.

If I'm not a American studying abroad or a foreign consumer using an US account? If I'm just a paranoid consumer, who doesn't trust most companies my billing info online (especially since Sony got hacked in 2011), that only add funds to my account by purchasing PSN cards at Wallmart or Target? Imagine how happy I'd be to be able to refund my SEN account through Paypal without worrying about having my billing info exposed again. Now imagine how I'd be frustrated if I become aware that, regardless of having Paypal as a option or not, I MUST register my billing info also to SEN to refund my wallet without a fisical PSN card.

That's not "the way the system works", if you think so, you should get the facts straight and be aware that through Paypal transactions, only them have to worry about your billign info, not the seller. This' just a flawed Paypal implementation and refusing to give more consumers flexibility to spend money on your service. 

Foreign consumers like me will still keep spending our money on or beloved content, by buying inflated US PSN cards' codes American people purchase at Wallmart or Target to sell on eBay or, at least we hoped for, by doing it the best and right way by using Paypal, as we do for several other online purchases from stores throughout the world.

Please keep in mind that I'm just stating facts here and don't intend to offend anyone. I hope the team responsible for these features make this right.

Message 4 of 10 (5,905 Views)
First Son
16 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 2, 2013

Reply to Cheshire_smile

Well, If I'm not wrong there are only four psn Stores:  North America, ASIA, Japan and Europe. So if you happen to live in a country where those services don't apply (Say China or Latin America) you won't have store, you can still play games online tough. But with your local Country PSN ID while attempting to get into the store it'll prompt "this service isn't available in your region".

So when saying my local PSN accunt doesn't have a linked store, I meant that. And that's why most foreign user create USA PSN accounts and into other PSN stores regardless of the place where they live. 

The main problem with all of this is that we're forced to be purchasing PSN CARDS  that are inflated because of money exchange, physical format and local revenue from the sotres where they are sold. Online store sell voucher-codes without the physical card but they still have the revenue cost add on, ex: A PSN $50 card code are usually sold between $56 and $60 US Dollars (Just check ebay).

So you can see how fruttrating it is to realize that after the introduction of paypal that could avoid al that **bleep**, not to mention the waiting time of ordering a code and wait for hours if not days - is to see that still I can't pruchase a code for exactly what they cost.

I hope you can understand our dilemma :/ and disappointment.

PS: DanieL_Caldas, thans for your input Sr. I couldn't have said it better.

Message 5 of 10 (5,842 Views)
First Son
9 posts

Feb 6, 2013

Getting the exact same issue here.

It’s a global world and people change address all the time.

If sony can’t face it or adapt to that, I honestly think it might be time to say farewell.

I am currently a playstation plus subscriber and I’ve been a PS3 gamer for several years now, but I am about to leave Sony’s ship behind for the next generation, or even this one, besides all the money I invested so far.

Patience, care and love only go so far, if it’s not both ways.

I am very tired and frustrated with SONY, whose politics are tiring my very soul.

Despite the hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars invested in SONY and it’s PS3 so far, I think it’s time to steam up my life.

All my friends who have done so don’t show any signs of regret.

Sony is loosing this long loyal consumer.

When I go away - and I think the moment is very near - it will be for good.

Message 6 of 10 (5,771 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Mar 2, 2014

and how can I make paypal money back

Message 7 of 10 (3,641 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
272 posts

Mar 3, 2014

You can buy PSN Cards from Amazon. They allow any country tro buy it and you recieve the code instantly.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
My PS3 Trophies - Seu Ranking Definitivo
Message 8 of 10 (3,626 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jun 10, 2014

I agree with the comments above : guys we are in 2014. People are moving worldwide now and having to recreate a full account each time we change continent is simply not acceptable.

The irony in my case, is that I am a game developer and I cannot even play online on your console some games I have been working on, just because I have moved to a new studio.

You have to find a solution for it

Message 9 of 10 (2,527 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Jul 28, 2014

Well I had the same question and it doesn't work at the PlayStation manager guy above said. My work around is to have an Amazon account (I use the same for all regions meaning US, UK, Spain) and buy PSN Codes (Digital) but you need an American address. I used my friend's P.O. Box (I live in Spain btw) and just get the codes in my e-mail from Amazon. That way I can buy awesome stuff on the American store. I wanted to try adding funds to my PayPal wallet and as many know, you can have it convert to another currency. So will I be able to using USD ($) from my PayPal wallet to add funds to my PS Store wallet? We'll see. If not I could try making an American PayPal account and see if it accepts my Spanish bank account.

Message 10 of 10 (1,896 Views)
0 Likes