First Son
6 posts

Re: Definitive solution for your DNS error problems!!!!! (Works for all ISP's)

May 22, 2009
Dude, it worked beautifully, thanks alot
imaninjerr
Message 40 of 606 (849 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
409 posts

May 22, 2009

amstel78 wrote:

JaydaFoooah wrote:

this IS really crazy. i've just noticed since last thursday's update. wonder if it's the PSN network admin's fault? this is crazy never had a problem till these last 2-4 weeks. it's really actin up. sometime i can get on, others i have to reset the router. seems to work after that but barely but more often than NOT. so. **bleep** are they doing to the network? i hope they're upgrading it. i realize it's thursday and there's an update for the store, but it shouldn't have THAT much of an impact on me logging in just like before, it never has.

something's fishy man. i was good about a month or so ago. i fixed my moms' PC connection (upstairs for lack of range of connectivity) but other than that, the networks' been acting up on me. it's like my internet port for the PS3 has been getting faulty. I can still log on most of the time but it goes out in odd hours of the day. i'm not running a static ip and my PC is running PERFECT everytime my PS3 has an error.

i'm at a loss for words here. it used to run perfectly.

"ARE" they upgrading thier network or what? hit me up...

I thought it was the PS3 or Sony's network as well; that was before I actually spent the time testing things out.  Come to find out, it was the ISP.  Not Sony.  Sure, I'd love to blame Sony.  Who doesn't?  But in this case, it wasn't their firmware that fracked things up.  Chances are, it's an issue with your ISP's DNS server.  Try the OpenDNS addresses as I suggested.  If they work, good for you.  If not, at least you tried and it might be something else.

thnx for the imput and stuff but, though i haven't tried it YET, i'm wondering. why should i? i mean, i haven't had to before. i had flawless connectivity since about 3 weeks ago (to this day). i'm not saying it's the firmware. it's everytime they update the "store" i have problems. i really DO think they're expanding thier network. why else whould it act up like this?

i CAN'T go through another FULL REROUTING of my network. my head will explode, lol!

i will try what you threw out there but i doubt it'll do anything. cheers just in case..

love the help you bring btw. can't believe there's not one flame repl in here. LMAO!!!

Message 41 of 606 (849 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
657 posts

May 22, 2009
Yeah I hardly ever have problems with PSN... but I was just on it earlier today and now I keep on getting DNS errors... Im guessing it is on their end, so Im gonna wait it out... But rest assured if it is still "down" tomorrow I will be trying this work around
Message 42 of 606 (849 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
24 posts

May 22, 2009
wow that worked pretty much instantly. thanks for posting something so useful! its nice to see ps3 users help each other out instead of **bleep** all the time about things that are out of their control. good work!
Message 43 of 606 (849 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
174 posts

May 22, 2009

People can flame me for all I care; I'm just trying to help.

Maybe it is Sony's problem.  Why knows?  Maybe something in their netcode doesn't play nicely with a lot of ISP's?  It wouldn't surprise me; I've seen a lot of network products released to market with buggy code that often takes a lot of finessing to get to work properly.  I have a multi-thousand dollar amateur radio station that's software defined, and still has firmware issues.  Why should Sony be any different?

But look at it this way, if the solution I propose works then why look a gift horse in the mouth?  Another thing to consider is that if my solution works for you, then that should tell you something as all I'm suggesting is that you replace your ISP provided DNS addresses for these.  If the OpenDNS addresses work for you, then it's probably safe to assume then that it isn't Sony's netcode, nor is it the PSN network, but it's probably an ISP related issue.

But hey, it's a free country.  Do what you like.  My PS3 works right now and has so without fault since replacing my DNS addresses.

73 OM de K3JPS/2

Message Edited by amstel78 on 05-21-2009 10:20 PM
Message 44 of 606 (849 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
409 posts

May 22, 2009

amstel78 wrote:

People can flame me for all I care; I'm just trying to help.

Maybe it is Sony's problem.  Why knows?  Maybe something in their netcode doesn't play nicely with a lot of ISP's?  It wouldn't surprise me; I've seen a lot of network products released to market with buggy code that often takes a lot of finessing to get to work properly.

But look at it this way, if the solution I propose works then why look a gift horse in the mouth?  Another thing to consider is that if my solution works for you, then that should tell you something as all I'm suggesting is that you replace your ISP provided DNS addresses for these.  If the OpenDNS addresses work for you, then it's probably safe to assume then that it isn't Sony's netcode, nor is it the PSN network, but it's probably an ISP related issue.

But hey, it's a free country.  Do what you like.  My PS3 works right now and has so without fault since replacing my DNS addresses.

Message Edited by amstel78 on 05-21-2009 10:18 PM

i wasn't flaming you at all, i was just happy there wern't any flames. as far as the test goes, i tried it and i still didn't get anything. as of now, i can't connect so i'll reset my router....again....*sigh*

it's not your fault maynard. i think it's PSN messing arrouund with something. I HOPE TO GOD THEY'RE EXPANDING THE NETWORK.

that'll mean more stability and more faster signing in. hopefully it's a whole network workarround, and the "FINALE", (so to speak), will be on the next firmware update.

this is wierd. i'm kinda in a trance because of this. it's never done this before. if it was time warners' fault, i wouldn't be able to connect online on my pc either so....i dunno....i'm dumbfounded....

Message 45 of 606 (849 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9447 posts

May 22, 2009

amstel78 wrote:

JaydaFoooah wrote:

this is wierd. i'm kinda in a trance because of this. it's never done this before. if it was time warners' fault, i wouldn't be able to connect online on my pc either so....i dunno....i'm dumbfounded....

That's just it though.  With TW, I could still browse the net with the PS3.  I could also use any of my home PC's without problem.  The only time I ever encountered a fault was when trying to log into the PSN network using the TWC supplied DNS addresses.  Once I replaced those, the problem went away.

Think about it now.  If it was a PSN issue, the OpenDNS addresses woudn't have worked for me or anyone else here either.  But, since it did I think it's safe to say that the problem lies with your ISP.  Don't forget that alot of ISP's including Time Warner depend on 3rd party DNS hosts.  Just because you have TW, doesn't mean the DNS servers are owned and operated by them as well. 

Thanks for your original post! I've been having problems for weeks and this cleared it all up! I have one question though: Where/how did you figure this out? I'm not really worried about someone hacking my PS3 or anything, they won't really get much information, haha. I'm just wondering how you came upon this. Thanks again! 

Message 46 of 606 (849 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
174 posts

May 22, 2009

JaydaFoooah wrote:

That's just it though.  With TW, I could still browse the net with the PS3.  I could also use any of my home PC's without problem.  The only time I ever encountered a fault was when trying to log into the PSN network using the TWC supplied DNS addresses.  Once I replaced those, the problem went away.

Think about it now.  If it was a PSN issue, the OpenDNS addresses woudn't have worked for me or anyone else here either.  But, since it did I think it's safe to say that the problem lies with your ISP.  Don't forget that alot of ISP's including Time Warner depend on 3rd party DNS hosts.  Just because you have TW, doesn't mean the DNS servers are owned and operated by them as well.  Perhaps the DNS provider changed something in their routing tables preventing a connection with PSN.  There are ALOT of variables at play here...

That alone could be a reason why others have similar issues with different ISP's.  Maybe their ISP uses the same DNS host that Time Warner uses.  All you're doing by replacing the DNS address is simply using a different DNS provider; nothing else. 

Message Edited by amstel78 on 05-21-2009 10:33 PM
Message 47 of 606 (849 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
77 posts

May 22, 2009
i just put the numbers in manually, works perfectly, thank you sir. kudo'd.
Message 48 of 606 (849 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
174 posts

May 22, 2009

AngelofDeathLoki wrote:

Thanks for your original post! I've been having problems for weeks and this cleared it all up! I have one question though: Where/how did you figure this out? I'm not really worried about someone hacking my PS3 or anything, they won't really get much information, haha. I'm just wondering how you came upon this. Thanks again! 

I was a network engineer for several years.  Just had to think about it for awhile and did a little experimentation.

Message 49 of 606 (849 Views)
0 Likes