First Son
5 posts

Re: Definitive solution for your DNS error problems!!!!! (Works for all ISP's)

May 22, 2009

Thank you again! I was about to call the Time Warner, but you saved me the trouble.

I find it odd that this only occured when the Infamous demo came out. 

Message 50 of 601 (479 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2134 posts

May 22, 2009
THANK YOU! I kept randomly getting this problem and had Roadrunner. I Kudoed you. Honestly I would have never thought of that since I'm dumb with networks.
Message 51 of 601 (479 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
409 posts

May 22, 2009

AngelofDeathLoki wrote:

amstel78 wrote:

JaydaFoooah wrote:

this is wierd. i'm kinda in a trance because of this. it's never done this before. if it was time warners' fault, i wouldn't be able to connect online on my pc either so....i dunno....i'm dumbfounded....

That's just it though.  With TW, I could still browse the net with the PS3.  I could also use any of my home PC's without problem.  The only time I ever encountered a fault was when trying to log into the PSN network using the TWC supplied DNS addresses.  Once I replaced those, the problem went away.

Think about it now.  If it was a PSN issue, the OpenDNS addresses woudn't have worked for me or anyone else here either.  But, since it did I think it's safe to say that the problem lies with your ISP.  Don't forget that alot of ISP's including Time Warner depend on 3rd party DNS hosts.  Just because you have TW, doesn't mean the DNS servers are owned and operated by them as well. 

Thanks for your original post! I've been having problems for weeks and this cleared it all up! I have one question though: Where/how did you figure this out? I'm not really worried about someone hacking my PS3 or anything, they won't really get much information, haha. I'm just wondering how you came upon this. Thanks again! 

well, that's just great. now all i need are the OTHER ones to fill in. here's where the **** hits the fan.....

i just tried again and filled in the primary and 2ndary dns with those 2 ip's u gave, and it wouldn't let me proceed unless i filled in the 1st slot (forget the name of it) and i can't sign in worth crap otherwise. i was just online about an hour ago playin Rockband 2 and it was all gravy. **bleep**. it's been like this, like i said, for a couple weeks or so. i really don't think it's time warner dude. i think it's psn, but help me dawg. lol i'm fienin.....

Message 52 of 601 (479 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
409 posts

May 22, 2009

ok, i got it. i missed the 4th or 5th option for DNS input. i thought it wasn't in there at 1st, but i looked at the "menu setting title" and came across it.

IT WORKED!!! kudoed!!

Message 53 of 601 (479 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
174 posts

May 22, 2009

JaydaFoooah wrote:
I just tried again and filled in the primary and 2ndary dns with those 2 ip's u gave, and it wouldn't let me proceed unless i filled in the 1st slot (forget the name of it) and i can't sign in worth crap otherwise. i was just online about an hour ago playin Rockband 2 and it was all gravy. **bleep**. it's been like this, like i said, for a couple weeks or so. i really don't think it's time warner dude. i think it's psn, but help me dawg. lol i'm fienin.....

What do you mean by "first slot"?

Replacing DNS addresses is just that; it shouldn't interfere with the rest of your ISP's settings. 

You should have the following common settings depending on whether or not you're wireless or wired:

1.  IP address (issued by your router)

2.  subnet mask (again, normally issued by your router)

3.  Default router or gateway (this should point to your router's IP; i.e. 192.168.1.1)

4.  Primary DNS: (replace with OpenDNS 1)

5.  Secondary DNS: (replace with OpenDNS 2)

The rest like MAC address, Proxy, UPnP, et al are router dependant.

Message Edited by amstel78 on 05-21-2009 11:04 PM
Message 54 of 601 (479 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
128 posts

May 22, 2009
Thank you...your my herooo.KUDOS
Message 55 of 601 (479 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
449 posts

May 22, 2009
YOU'RE A GENIOUS. It worked! You relieved me of a great deal of stress, thank you.
Message 56 of 601 (479 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

May 22, 2009

Brrriiiilllllliiiiiiiiaaaaaaaannnt!         

owe you a 12 pack and 20 sack...

Message 57 of 601 (479 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
252 posts

May 22, 2009

thx got it working again

until sony figures it out ill use this

Message 58 of 601 (479 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
174 posts

May 22, 2009

wU-sOLdiEr210 wrote:

thx got it working again

until sony figures it out ill use this

I don't think it's a Sony issue unless:

1.  they changed something with PSN's network addresses causing a mismatch with your DNS providers lookup tables

2.  the netcode used in the latest firmware is wonky, which is highly unlikely

I bet it's your ISP's DNS provider.  Again, this is why a majority of respondents who have had DNS problems and tried this solution haven't reported back with additional issues.

BTW, my status says I'm a firble now.  What the hell is a firble?

Message Edited by amstel78 on 05-21-2009 11:37 PM
Message 59 of 601 (479 Views)
0 Likes