Splicer
66 posts

Re: Definitive solution for your DNS error problems!!!!! (Works for all ISP's)

May 22, 2009
Thanks, you fixed my DNS problems
Message 60 of 602 (372 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
657 posts

May 22, 2009
Ok I got DNS error then I get back in, DL some stuff watch a movie and when I'm done with the movie, I cant sign in again, but it is still DL the stuff?  **bleep**?  DEF has to be on PSN side of things.  I normally dont have any problems with PSN, this just started happening today.
Message 61 of 602 (372 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
174 posts

May 22, 2009

Hank3434 wrote:
Ok I got DNS error then I get back in, DL some stuff watch a movie and when I'm done with the movie, I cant sign in again, but it is still DL the stuff?  **bleep**?  DEF has to be on PSN side of things.  I normally dont have any problems with PSN, this just started happening today.

What are your DNS settings?  Are you using the OpenDNS addresses or are you still on your ISP's-provided DNS machines?  It may be something localized to your setup as well.  I've been online with the PS3 all night and have not had one problem.

Message Edited by amstel78 on 05-21-2009 11:48 PM
Message 62 of 602 (372 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Re: Solution for DNS error (Roadrunner customers)

May 22, 2009
Man baby boy you my new ps3 jesus. I got to see what your skills like on the network. Gta4? Army of two? Res 5? Tekken 5, Soul Calibre 4, Kane and Lynch. I will do the leg work and send you the request. Seriously though you are a life saver on this one and I must apologize to Sony cause I was a'ready to tar an feather.!!
BIGmufuchinLaw
Message 63 of 602 (372 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
657 posts

May 22, 2009
Im about to try your work around... but before I do that... I had to reset my router recently... do you know which ports I am supposed to forward?  And if you do could you be specific cause Ive only forwarded my ports once before.  Its a linskys router.
Message 64 of 602 (372 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4505 posts

May 22, 2009

amstel78 wrote:

JaydaFoooah wrote:
I just tried again and filled in the primary and 2ndary dns with those 2 ip's u gave, and it wouldn't let me proceed unless i filled in the 1st slot (forget the name of it) and i can't sign in worth crap otherwise. i was just online about an hour ago playin Rockband 2 and it was all gravy. **bleep**. it's been like this, like i said, for a couple weeks or so. i really don't think it's time warner dude. i think it's psn, but help me dawg. lol i'm fienin.....

What do you mean by "first slot"?

Replacing DNS addresses is just that; it shouldn't interfere with the rest of your ISP's settings. 

You should have the following common settings depending on whether or not you're wireless or wired:

1.  IP address (issued by your router)

2.  subnet mask (again, normally issued by your router)

3.  Default router or gateway (this should point to your router's IP; i.e. 192.168.1.1)

4.  Primary DNS: (replace with OpenDNS 1)

5.  Secondary DNS: (replace with OpenDNS 2)

The rest like MAC address, Proxy, UPnP, et al are router dependant.

Message Edited by amstel78 on 05-21-2009 11:04 PM

First let me thank the OP for this info!  I'm in Austin, TX and use TW RR and have also been experiencing these DNS error messages... but only occasionally and only since the last few weeks so I'm not sure why this has only been a problem recently.

As for the quoted messages, I  suspect the reason JaydaFoooah is having a problem being able to get to the next screen is that it isn't exactly clear which options to select in the PS3's Network Connections options, and if you don't do it right you can run into the problem he reported... as I ran into it as well, but with some trial and error I figured it out. It's further complicated by the fact that the first "Manua" choice is actually for the IP Address Seting, which if you choose "Manual" you'll get the screen that  JaydaFoooah mentioned, which requires you put in the IP address as well as the DNS addresses.

So for those like JaydaFoooah who may be having trouble, if you choose the following options in the PS3 menus you should have no trouble using this fix:

"Internet Connection Settings"

"Do you want to continue": Yes

"Select a method": Custom (not Easy)

"Select a connection method": Wired or Wireless

"WLAN Settings": Scan or Enter Manually

(Enter Manually is easier as you won't have to put in the security key, just keep pressing the right D-pad button until the IP Address Setting menu comes up)

"IP Address Setting": Automatic (not Manual)

"DHCP Host Name": Do Not Set

"DNS Setting": Manual (not Automatic)

(now put in the two Open DNS address that the OP gave: 208.67.222.222 or/and 208.67.220.220)

Then keep pressing the right D-pad button until you see the final Settings List

Press X to save settings and you are good to go.

You can also then test the connection if you want to be sure everything is correct.

I hope this helps, and thanks again to the Op for this much needed fix. 

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 65 of 602 (372 Views)
Wastelander
657 posts

May 22, 2009
Also that being said... I was online all today... around 6pm it started giving him this error.
Message 66 of 602 (372 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
174 posts

May 22, 2009

Hank3434 wrote:
Im about to try your work around... but before I do that... I had to reset my router recently... do you know which ports I am supposed to forward?  And if you do could you be specific cause Ive only forwarded my ports once before.  Its a linskys router.

If you use the OpenDNS addresses, you shouldn't have to port-forward anything on your router.  In fact, you shouldn't have to touch any router settings at all unless you want to apply the OpenDNS addresses to every machine on your network.  Otherwise, just replace your ISP's DNS addresses in your PS3, and you should be good to go.
Message 67 of 602 (372 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
657 posts

May 22, 2009
See as I write this I am able to sign back in... so weird and frustrating. 
Message 68 of 602 (372 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1051 posts

May 22, 2009

Really wish I had seen this before spending 3 hours on hold with Time Warner... Dude you are my personal Forum hero.

Oh, btw have I mentioned how much I HATE TW, 7 years of comcast not one problem, TW basically takes over an intact company and drives it to RUIN. Anyway OP, I love you.

Message 69 of 602 (372 Views)
0 Likes