Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 31 2013
By: Cowboy_TD First Son 1 posts

The Online ID is already taken...but not really?

5 replies 2247 views Edited Jan 31, 2013

So i've been trying to make a new PSN account with a specific user name (not posting the name for obvious reasons in case stolen lol). Well it told me the user was already taken when i tried to make it. But when i looked up the psn on the public trophy thing, no profile came up (which means it is not a taken name)

I also tried ADDING the account i was trying to make, and it even told me this PSN has not been registered

and yet even when i try to use the ID when making an account (tried both on ps3 and cpu) it says taken

what gives!

Message 1 of 6 (2,247 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
30304 posts

Re: The Online ID is already taken...but not really?

[ Edited ]
Feb 2, 2013

Cowboy_TD wrote:

So i've been trying to make a new PSN account with a specific user name (not posting the name for obvious reasons in case stolen lol). Well it told me the user was already taken when i tried to make it. But when i looked up the psn on the public trophy thing, no profile came up (which means it is not a taken name)

I also tried ADDING the account i was trying to make, and it even told me this PSN has not been registered

and yet even when i try to use the ID when making an account (tried both on ps3 and cpu) it says taken

what gives!

Welcome to the PlayStation Communtiy.

Sometimes ID's are not allowed for various reasons, sometimes they are reserved, sometimes because of the name, some are marked as not available by Sony, even if they show as available, you'll never know why, sorry.

Message 2 of 6 (2,246 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Moderator
4145 posts

Jan 31, 2013

Moved from PS3 general. :catembarrassed:

space_cape!!

Message 3 of 6 (2,238 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
49158 posts

Feb 1, 2013

In addition to what brit said someone may have made that ID and has just never synced their trophies with the servers.

Message 4 of 6 (2,204 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Apr 10, 2014

There's a problem with the psn registration, it links a name to the PS3 user as soon as the message :this ID is available pops up and you click OK. There is no limit to how many ID's you can link to the user. As long as you never finish registration on that user the names will be permanently locked to that user. If the user is deleted the names are gone forever. It is possible for one person to collect every untaken psn id to prevent anyone else from ever creating an account. Hope this helps    :smileytongue:

Message 5 of 6 (924 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Apr 10, 2014

I mean permanently locked to the e-mail address, and it's possible for a person to collect all ID's on one e-mail.

Message 6 of 6 (919 Views)
0 Likes