Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 30 2013
By: NormalNormy First Son 10 posts

Unfair Problem

10 replies 161 views Edited Mar 30, 2013
I was connected to my friends wifi for a while and then my brother moved from downstairs to an upstairs room(next to mine) and now my wifi wont connect. His PS3 connects and does not lag at all but when I try to connect it keeps flashing from "Connecting to access point" to "Exchanging key information" and everything I look up does not explain how my brother is able to connect. Even when he moved upstairs I was connected for about 3 weeks then I got disconnected. I live in a condo and my brother didn't connect his PS3 to the wifi until after he moved upstairs. This is very confusing for me but I really need to connect as I use the web browser for college work and job applications and games on my free time. It seems unfair that he gets to be connected and only uses it for video games and nothing else truely progressive.
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 11 (161 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Re: Unfair Problem

Mar 30, 2013
As a side note he is 5 years older than I am and still focuses on just games(and getting drunk). I think it's just a sign that I need to get school done somehow and move away from this place fast!
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 11 (156 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29112 posts

Mar 30, 2013

Does this 'friend' know you & your brother are using his wifi?

If so perhaps you could speak to him about it to see if they can help?

BRIT-KO

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 11 (143 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Mar 30, 2013
Well of course he does I use to pay him 20 bucks a month for using it. He doesn't know much about any of that I started thinking he may have blocked my connection but he told me himself that once he got it installed he has only touched the reset button because he doesn't want to mess anything up so I don't know. It's a Belkin and I know Belkin and PS3 don't mix too well. Ugh
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 11 (136 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
7464 posts

Mar 30, 2013

My belkin and PS3 work just dandy together :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 11 (124 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Mar 30, 2013
Well you must have a lucky rabbits foot at hand then.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 11 (120 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Mar 31, 2013
Ok I feel like I have a little clue on the problem but I need 3 questions answered. Does the system name have anything to do with the connection? If it was connected and the name was erased would that cause anything to happen? Under "Settings and Connection Status List" is Security supposed to say "WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK" and flash to "WPA2-PSKO(AES)" after about 30 seconds then flash back after 1 second? I hope I didn't sound confusing but can someone help me out please!
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 11 (101 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Mar 31, 2013
I meant "WPA-PSK(AES)" without that "O" in there. Typing with this phone is a pain.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 11 (100 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18679 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 31, 2013

NormalNormy wrote:
Ok I feel like I have a little clue on the problem but I need 3 questions answered.
Does the system name have anything to do with the connection? If it was connected and the name was erased would that cause anything to happen?
By "system" are you taking about the PS3 System or the Access Point you are connecting to?

Anyways,

-No, changing the PS3 system has no effect on connectiong to the internet.
-Yes, changing the Access Point name or SSID will have an on the devices connecting to it. This can only be changed at the router level.

Under "Settings and Connection Status List" is Security supposed to say "WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK" and flash to "WPA2-PSKO(AES)" after about 30 seconds then flash back after 1 second?

The security protocol must match the one being used by the router for otherwise the PS3 will not be able to decrypt/encrypt the transmission between it and the router.

I hope I didn't sound confusing but can someone help me out please!

Talk to your friend and ask him to give you all the network info again and re-do your PS3 network setup.

There is also the possibility that your friend has set his router to only have a limited amount of IP available for automatic leasing [DHCP].  For example, my DCHP IP pool has only 10 IPs. You can by pass this by doing a manual network setup and assigning your PS3 a different IP.  For example, 192.168.1.150

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 11 (90 Views)
First Son
10 posts

Mar 31, 2013
Thank you for being helpful I really appreciate it. I was talking about the PS3 name. The router name has not changed and if it is limited wont I be able to connect if my brother were to leave with his PS3? I copied his system setting and put in the IP address from his after a while but it didn't work. My PS3 can connect to any other access point just not this one I was thinking of restoring my PS3 after I move the data to yet another one that I plan on buying. Anyways well how can I make the status list stay as just "WPA2-PSK(AES)" instead of flashing between that and the other one that I said? When I scan his access point says it has the WPA2 security but on the status list it flashes back and forth like I said in my previous post. Has this ever happened before at all? I use an old phone to browse the web so I can't exactly get as much answers as I would on a PC.
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 11 (80 Views)
0 Likes