Jan 04 2013
By: xtremeskier97 First Son 6 posts

Upgrade PS3 HDD

5 replies 198 views Edited Jan 4, 2013

I want to upgrade my PS3 hard drive, but I have a slight issue.  There are a few of my game saves that are copyright protected, so I cannot back them up individually to a flash drive (and I'm not paying for PSN just to be able to do this).  I also dont want to have to wait 5 hours for the system to backup to an external hard drive.

I've got a couple games downloaded to it (the 2 that you got to choose when PSN was hacked last year) as well as a bunch of DLC from games such as the Call of Duty series, Uncharted series, and BF3 that I've purchased.

So, I'm wondering, since copyright protected game saves will transfer with the system backup, can I delete everything except for the game saves, do a system backup, change the hard drive, restore the backup, and then redownload all of my DLC and 2 games?

Any help would be appreciated!

Message 1 of 6 (198 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Re: Upgrade PS3 HDD

Jan 5, 2013
Is no one able to shed some light on these questions?
Message 2 of 6 (187 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Jan 5, 2013

xtremeskier97 wrote:

I want to upgrade my PS3 hard drive, but I have a slight issue.  There are a few of my game saves that are copyright protected, so I cannot back them up individually to a flash drive (and I'm not paying for PSN just to be able to do this).  I also dont want to have to wait 5 hours for the system to backup to an external hard drive.

I've got a couple games downloaded to it (the 2 that you got to choose when PSN was hacked last year) as well as a bunch of DLC from games such as the Call of Duty series, Uncharted series, and BF3 that I've purchased.

So, I'm wondering, since copyright protected game saves will transfer with the system backup, can I delete everything except for the game saves, do a system backup, change the hard drive, restore the backup, and then redownload all of my DLC and 2 games?

Any help would be appreciated!

Wait, so... is there DLC/games you currently have on your system that you don't care to have restored right away?

Because yes, you could indeed delete your downloaded games, then do the backup, then re-download all your stuff.  But I severely doubt that would go any faster than just backing up everything.  Your local backup and restore is going to transfer data much faster than downloading things on PSN, even though you need to do one pass to backup and a 2nd to restore.  But whatever floats your boat.

Gonna suggest something to you, though: sign up for PS+.  It lets you back up ALL saves, including copy-protected saves, to the cloud.  This would prevent you ever having to do system backups in the first place.  I only signed up after my first PS3 failed (losing my Demon's Souls data forever), and I don't know how I lived without it before.

Message 3 of 6 (183 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 6, 2013

Yes, I would recommend deleting all the stuff you can re-download. The PS3 backup utility is amazingly slow. Even if you get it down to a few hundred megs, it ill still take an hour or so. Backing up only your saved games and redownloading only the saved games then re-downloading the PSN games would be the fastest IMO. Make sure you deactivate the system before you format it though, since your now locked to only two systems per D/L game. Gotta love when Sony tightens the already tight reigns.

Message 4 of 6 (169 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5911 posts

Jan 6, 2013

You don't have to deactivate when upgrading the HDD. New HDD does not = new system. It's the same system before and after the HDD upgrade.

Everyone thinks I'm psychotic (except my friends deep inside the earth).
Message 5 of 6 (159 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
6 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 7, 2013

But deactivating wont hurt, just in case, right?

I have a lot of DLC and 2 games on the system that I will want redownloaded almost immediately.  But like he said, the backup/restore is painstakingly slow, as I've done it in the past.  

So, I will be able to redownload all of the DLC and the 2 games with no problem?  

I'd rather redownload everything than sit through that again.  My internet is plenty fast to handle it.

Message 6 of 6 (151 Views)
0 Likes