Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apr 13 2013
By: Jdurg I Only Post Everything 926 posts

Why Are Instruction Manuals Removed From Digital Download Games?

4 replies 147 views Edited Apr 13, 2013

This is something that is really frustrating me, and is making me reluctant to purchase software from the PSN.  I love how games are being made available via DDL for quick access.  The problem is that NONE of them include a digital instruction booklet.  As a result, I am left fumbling about with controls and having no idea how to get things done.  This is especially true with regards to games that have complex control schemes or complex story lines.

Sony, PLEASE start including instruction manuals for ALL games you sell on the PSN, or provide a link to manuals on your website here.  

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 5 (147 Views)
PlayStation MVP
11165 posts

Re: Why Are Instruction Manuals Removed From Digital Download Games?

Apr 14, 2013
The majority of games on the PS Store are not Sony's, so they have no obligation to do anything in that regard. However, a number of Sony's games do include digital manuals (PS Allstars jumps to mind as one), and every downloadable Vita game includes a manual.

If you want digital manuals to be standards, like on the Vita, you'll likely have to wait until the PS4. Until then, contact various publishers and let them know what you want.

As well, 99% of manuals nowadays are just barebones instructions. If you're missing out on something in a story, a wiki is a better place to look than a manual. And the vast majority of games include a controls overview in their Settings area, as well as often including a tutorial.
R.I.P. Off-Topic
04/09/2014 - Never Forget
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 5 (144 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
48576 posts

Apr 15, 2013

Jdurg wrote:

This is something that is really frustrating me, and is making me reluctant to purchase software from the PSN.  I love how games are being made available via DDL for quick access.  The problem is that NONE of them include a digital instruction booklet.  As a result, I am left fumbling about with controls and having no idea how to get things done.  This is especially true with regards to games that have complex control schemes or complex story lines.

Sony, PLEASE start including instruction manuals for ALL games you sell on the PSN, or provide a link to manuals on your website here.  

I saw a new tab in my game menu last night for "Instructions" for games.    I'm not sure if it was from the game disc I had in or something new.

Either way if you buy a game digitally in the store it should come with a PDF file or some kind of digital instructions, even if basic, so have a kudos!

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 5 (132 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Apr 15, 2013

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

Jdurg wrote:

I saw a new tab in my game menu last night for "Instructions" for games.    I'm not sure if it was from the game disc I had in or something new.

Either way if you buy a game digitally in the store it should come with a PDF file or some kind of digital instructions, even if basic, so have a kudos!

Very, very true.  I did contact Sony support, and while they were polite in stating that it is something they are looking into for their own first party games, for third party games they stated that there is nothing they could do.  Most recently, I had purchased Dante's Inferno, and therefore I would need to get in touch with EA.  Well, it appears as if EA has gotten rid of their "contact us" e-mail so the only way to get in touch with them is to either call them and be on hold for an hour or two, or make a post on their forums and hope that somebody there (who doesn't work for EA) will answer.  

It's a sad trend and I while it would be ethically nice for Sony to tell 3rd party developers that if they are going to provide games for DDL they must provide an instruction manual in .pdf form for the purchaser, I doubt they would do that.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 5 (127 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
14461 posts

Apr 15, 2013

Sony is not going to mandate manuals in PDF format, because the PS3 doesn't even have a PDF viewer.  It will be in a form that can be viewed on the console.  There is no standard for PS3 documentation.  Some games build it into the game software, but it is more common for the publisher to provide the manual as a web page on the Internet.  The PS3 is designed to run the web browser at the same time as the game, so the game manual is usually a web page for digital, and recently even retail, games.  PS1 Classics, and PS2 Classics, have a standard documentation format built into the game; and so do Vita games, as mentioned earlier.  Games in those formats are always available for download, so the issue of what to do about a manual was addressed with developers in advance.  On the PS3 it was assumed that the manual would either be printed, in-game, or on the web.

Game developers are moving away from producing manuals at all.  Many gamers are no longer inclined to read a manual, so these days it often just includes basic safety information, and how to start the game.  In-game tutorials and text give the player the information that used to be in the game manual, without their having to read a document. I expect that trend to continue and expand.   

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 5 (110 Views)
0 Likes