Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 06 2013
By: PhotoGraphics First Son 7 posts

Why did I get charged for a game labeled "free"?

6 replies 234 views Edited Feb 6, 2013

I was looking through the "All Deals" page and noticed Final Fantasy VIII was labeled "free"! Wow, they're giving away a free game for the Final Fantasy 25th Anniversary! So I clicked on it and there was no "add to cart" button, only a "download" button. So I clicked to download it, and it started downloading right away as if I had previously purchased it (I didn't).

It seemed odd that there was no cart and no purchase confirmation, and I noticed afterward that I couldn't view the amount remaining in my wallet. So I logged in to my account through the Sony Entertainment Network website and noticed that $4.99 was deducted from my wallet for Final Fantasy VIII. I had no intention of buying that game, but thought I'd give it a shot since it was "free". 

How can Sony charge me for a game labeled "free", that I never added to my cart, and that I never confirmed?

PS. I also never received an e-mail receipt for my purchase!

Message 1 of 7 (234 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Re: Why did I get charged for a game labeled "free"?

Feb 6, 2013

Same as Topic creator, saw it was free, then saw I was charged for it when I looked at my bank activity. 

Message 2 of 7 (211 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Feb 6, 2013

Same thing happen to me. PSN listed the game as free and was charged $4.99. Really don't want to pay for that game.

Message 3 of 7 (190 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Feb 6, 2013

Same here, got chaged for something that said free next to it...

Message 4 of 7 (179 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
4692 posts

Feb 6, 2013

When I checked the store (about 5 hours ago) it was not marked as free, but if there actually was a mistake, contact Sony and you will likely get a refund.

Message 5 of 7 (171 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Feb 8, 2013

Called Sony and was told they would refund me. Just got an email, saying that it was denied due to all sales being final, no refunds. 

Message 6 of 7 (105 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
4692 posts

Feb 8, 2013

AbsinthesDad wrote:

Called Sony and was told they would refund me. Just got an email, saying that it was denied due to all sales being final, no refunds. 

In that email, there should be a phone number for you to call and a request # for you to follow up.  You will probably have better luck talking to a person, but as I said, I can't confirm whether this actually was an error since it showed up fine for me.

Message 7 of 7 (102 Views)
0 Likes