Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
May 27 2010
By: etempest Treasure Hunter 5985 posts

PSN+ Coming Soon

20 replies 74 views Edited May 27, 2010

Source - http://www.neowin.net/news/paid-psn-details-coming-soon-says-sony

President of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, Andrew House, has confirmed in an interview published on the Playstation website that a premium PlayStation Network service is coming to the PlayStation 3, with details expected "soon" - likely at next month's E3. House also confirmed that the current PSN "as you know it" will remain free and unchanged.

According to a report from Joystiq, the new service is going to be called "PSN+" and will give subscribers access to a rotating list of PSN content such as PSP Minis, PSone Classics, exclusive DLC content for games, discounts on the PlayStation Store and "first hour demo access to full retail titles." The report also says that subscribers may get additional warranty protection for their PlayStation, access to the much desired cross-game voice chat, a cloud-based saving system and the ability to auto-patch recently played games.

Games PS1 (100+), PS2 (140+), PS3 (100+), PSP (34+)
My PS3 Website - http://sites.google.com/site/etempestps3/
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 21 (74 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1832 posts

Re: PSN+ Coming Soon

May 27, 2010

etempest wrote:

Source - http://www.neowin.net/news/paid-psn-details-coming-soon-says-sony

President of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, Andrew House, has confirmed in an interview published on the Playstation website that a premium PlayStation Network service is coming to the PlayStation 3, with details expected "soon" - likely at next month's E3. House also confirmed that the current PSN "as you know it" will remain free and unchanged.

According to a report from Joystiq, the new service is going to be called "PSN+" and will give subscribers access to a rotating list of PSN content such as PSP Minis, PSone Classics, exclusive DLC content for games, discounts on the PlayStation Store and "first hour demo access to full retail titles." The report also says that subscribers may get additional warranty protection for their PlayStation, access to the much desired cross-game voice chat, a cloud-based saving system and the ability to auto-patch recently played games.

What exactly is a "cloud-based saving system"? 

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 21 (74 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7781 posts

May 27, 2010

I think a cloud-based system is like a network drive that can be accesed by users with authorization.  It will most likely be a bunch of network drives mapped together for the premium users save their content (game content maybe?) online so that they won't have to transfer it to a physical device.  This is kinda like Verizon's contact list that updates to a their account via internet.  That way when a phone is lost, their contacts are stored and saved online where they can access them at any time.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 21 (74 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1439 posts

May 27, 2010

etempest wrote:

I highly doubt charging us $50 will fix PSN.

PSN will still be full of silent walking zombies,uncooperative squadmates, and people who are getting too competitive....

$50 won't fix the midocre community. It will just be a mediocre community with great service.

There is practically no reason to stay in PSN if the competition has a better deal

and to those saying "you don't have to if you don't want to":

Sony's goal is to force you to get it...it's not just something extra they'll provide for those willing to pay

-exclusive DLCs?

-cross game chatting(that's something we wanted when PSN was free!)

PSN+ will be the death of PSN, well atleast the price is really nice with a free PSN game monthly for a year....

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 21 (74 Views)
Wastelander
799 posts

May 27, 2010

+1 Reshin. Well said. ----^

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 21 (74 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7781 posts

May 27, 2010

Kudos Reshin.

My take on PSN+ is good and bad... I am fully supportive of adding more features to PSN, for free, or for charge.  Every cause has an effect though.  What I am fearing is that PSN+ may split up the PSN network, which would be tragic to Playstation gamers, the community, and ultimately the Playstation 3.

I wouldn't mind if PSN+ adds in early demos, exclusive store content on a monthly basis, etc.  But if it decides who gets to interact with who... then we have some major problems ahead.

Like Reshin said, there will always be those who you may not like to play with, no matter what service bracket you fall into.  I just hope the implementation of PSN+ doesn't divide the community.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 21 (74 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
883 posts

May 27, 2010

i personally think this will be neat. it wont fix psn, no. but ti will provide mor efund that can be used for programmers, advertising, purchasing of rights..... increases in money always reflects well in services, just like a giant loss of money is reflected as well (poor Sega, R.I.P. Dreamcast)

with the growing population of psn, the community is bound to change. what makes the other box users use mics more? on the ps3, you cna use any brand of mic that you can get almost anywhere. versatility is there. as well, each day i see a new thread from someone who just switched over, or, now owns both. why would that person continue to have proper etiquette on one service, and not the other?  and really, you WILL always find someone who wont use a mic. 

currently, psn is more like a joke. not too many of us take it too seriously. we dont pay for, and though we like it, we dont feel pressed to use it. its just a nice feature. the XBL users pay for their time, especially if they grab a monthly pass instead of a year. this leaves people with a pressing feeling of needing to make use of their service. If psn was capable of inciting something like that in those willing to pay for it, then the money could get put to good use. considering we would all be on the same servers, we would all benefit from the stability increases that come with it!

it would be nice to see a giant change in things in the future. there is not likely going to be a real downside. XGC doesnt count as a loss, because we dont have it, and the 'box users pay for it. Sonys not going to begin advertising to us. they already state they will only ever contact you through you actual email address. i also doubt publishers will pay people to set up ps3's and start sending ad mail to random psn's. . maybe they will advertise more in that little scroll in the top corner, but i think thats about it.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 21 (74 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
103 posts

May 28, 2010

What I am really looking for is the Cloud based service because I would like to be able to just store all my save games on a server because I have two ps3s and it gets old having to always copy and paste saves from ps3 to ps3.

Also I don't know how many of you have noticed but Sony is really pusing the new ps3 slims so when i go buy one to replace my fat I get home and try to copy my data over and it turns out a lot of my games are copy protected which means all the time I spent on those games were wasted. Sony keeps pushing these new ps3 slims but yet they are starting to have more games copy right protected (save locked). Some of the games I have that are saved locked are Dragon Age (which I have 100+ hours in), Heavy Rain, KZ2, and probably some more.

Also people that get ylod and have to send it off for repair and get a new ps3 will lose all their save data when they get the new ps3 from Sony.

So I think I would get PSN+ just for the Cloud service alone.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 21 (74 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

May 28, 2010

....................................................................... am I the only person thats aware that the PSN+ service will be new and along side of the PSN FREE service that we have now??

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 21 (74 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28975 posts

May 28, 2010
No your not.
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 21 (74 Views)
0 Likes