Splicer
54 posts

Re: Rubber wearing off of the analog sticks after just 2 weeks, anybody else having this problem?

Nov 30, 2013

I've owned three Dualshock 4s and within just two weeks of use, two of them have shown wear on the left analog stick, though not as bad as in the picture above.

I've also had problems with sticking L1 buttons on all three controllers.

Love the new design of the DS4 but these quality issues are just shocking.

Message 41 of 358 (3,424 Views)
Monster Hunter
44 posts

Re: Thumbstick grip on left stick already worn smooth after 4 days of play.

Nov 30, 2013

Some people are putting Krontrol Freeks or silicone thumbsticks over them. I think this needs to get addressed soon but it's probably worrisome to Sony if all their controllers have this as a "defect". I don't know how easy it will be to replace the thumbsticks as i haven't taken apart the controller yet (even though they made them more accessible than before).

Message 42 of 358 (3,079 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Re: Rubber wearing off of the analog sticks after just 2 weeks, anybody else having this problem?

Dec 1, 2013

I wanted to try the chat option but it always says it's closed even though it says it's open until 10PM PST, it's usually like 4-8pm PST when I check. Might give them another call but I heard even if I do get it replaced I will have to pay to ship the controller to them. I have a friend that works at gamestop so he might be able to exchange it for me, I lost the reciept but he said the last 5 transactions are tied to my powerup rewards account. 

Message 43 of 358 (3,379 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1761 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 1, 2013

The_Eldrazi wrote:

I wanted to try the chat option but it always says it's closed even though it says it's open until 10PM PST, it's usually like 4-8pm PST when I check. Might give them another call but I heard even if I do get it replaced I will have to pay to ship the controller to them. I have a friend that works at gamestop so he might be able to exchange it for me, I lost the reciept but he said the last 5 transactions are tied to my powerup rewards account. 

just go buy one, then stick the p.o.s. one in the box adn take it back in like an hour and tell them when you toook it out of the box and used it for a few minutes it just fell apart if they look, and you'll just stick with the single controller that came with the system for now.  lol  It'll still get shipped back to sony, and you get your $60 back and a replacement. From what i read in another thread Sony's trying to charge people $22 to ship back a controller, a CONTROLLER. But they're not charging us for bricked PS4's??? seriously what the hell.....

Maybe if enough get sent back that're like that, Sony'll realize someone used some cheap **bleep** **bleep** on their analog sticks and fix the problem........

Message 44 of 358 (3,348 Views)
PlayStation MVP
3940 posts

Dec 1, 2013

We noticed wear of the rubberized coating on the left stick of one of our DS4's after a day with the system. Only one was bad, or so I thought. I've been mostly using that one.

I went to look at both we have, one from the system and one add-on, BOTH had bad symptoms. The other one is split so you can see the hard stick without even touching it. It's loose from the edge or the ridge downward, more left to upward side.

The first one, the rubber coating is severely worn down and there is a cut into the middle, like a knife or a fingernail did it. Neither could be the case. It got that way from regular play.

I knew we'd need replacement caps eventually, when I first looked at them day 1. So fast though? No. I could, at the least, partially take the one DS4 rubberized coating off, very easily. I don't want to, it might just self-remove sooner-than-later.

There are 5 users, with 2 of us being the main users who've logged long play, and we are the ones who just play and don't ruin things easily, take care of things more. This is very frustrating. Playing it's annoying to feel the splits and peeling while playing.

The rubberized coating is a nice feel, but not if it so easily moves and wears down. Plain wear would be one thing, but splits and peeling are totally worse. Both my controllers L-analog are in different stages of wearing down:

• The one that is split on the ridge has the least wear and use.

• The one with the split in the middle has more wear down and use, but is only split in the middle, the coating is solidly fastened on that one.

Message 45 of 358 (3,294 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 1, 2013

Same problem here. Played 6 hours of FIFA yesterday and it's already starting to wear/peel.

Image here: http://i.imgur.com/d8PRnCt.jpg

Message 46 of 358 (3,188 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Dec 1, 2013

Same here, on the left thumbstick like everyone said. Does Sony sell a pack of these rubberized coatings? I'm willing to just buy a pack and replace them as I wear them down. Never had this issue with the DS3 though.

Message 47 of 358 (3,182 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1761 posts

Dec 2, 2013

Maybe they'll come out with something like this for the DS3s  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005D7G3LA/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 , but for the PS4's controller. That would be a permanent fix.  I hope Sony sees threads about this and fixes this junk before the summer when I'm gettign my PS4...

Message 48 of 358 (3,218 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
164 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 2, 2013

Saw this picture about 1-2 weeks before the PS4 release, honestly I just can't believe this... I have had a DS4 weeks before the PS4 was released and used it for 10 hours a day on my computer, my DS4 has over 300 hours of use (Used for PC games, PC navigation, and now my PS4) and the analog sticks still feel brand new.

My only problem is the L1 and R1 get stuck when pressed on the corner but I believe this can be fixed by cleaning the controller out.

Message 49 of 358 (3,068 Views)
First Son
6 posts

Re: PS4 Controller is Wearing..

Dec 2, 2013

I'm having the same problem happening to both of my controllers.  After the 1st week of playing I noticed the black shavings and knew exactly what was happening.  By the end of the 2nd week, I noticed a split in one of the controllers joystick silicon cover.  By the end of the 3rd week both controllers had split and some of the silicon had ripped off completely.  Also the splitting had receded further.  And no, I do not play often.  My 2 year old limits my time to actually play, but I have a buddy that comes over once a week to play.

I had the same thing happen to my xbox 360 controller, but only after about a year or two (not 2 weeks)...just as a comparison.  I'll admit we're not exactly gentle on the joysticks, but I never had this problem so soon with my xbox 360 controller.

Message 50 of 358 (2,978 Views)
0 Likes