First Son
2 posts

Re: Rubber wearing off of the analog sticks after just 2 weeks, anybody else having this problem?

Dec 2, 2013

I probably have about 35+ hours on the DS4 (primarily on NBA2K14 and BF4) and the rubber has peeled away on the lip on from the 6 o'Clock to the 9 o'Clock position of the L stick. Its where my thumb rests the most.

The R stick is perfect. 

I figure we have a few options. Right now it's not terrible, but I'm not too thrilled that this can potentially be an issue where all of the coating can come off...

Those of us who have the issue can just warranty it. Although I don't really want to be out of a controller for a week.

We can by "caps" or covers for the sticks.

We can buy another controller...

OR we can dissasemble and switch the sticks...although IDK id that's even possible.

Anyway, I have no other complaints with the system or the controller, just this little problem...however if it continues, the rubber coating won't last a few months, let alone 5+ years.

Message 51 of 358 (2,267 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
88 posts

Re: Rubber wearing off of the analog sticks after just 2 weeks, anybody else having this problem?

Dec 2, 2013
I don't think they will warranty it. It's part of wear and tear they say. I think someone tried to ask for a replacement and Sony said that couldn't be done.
Message 52 of 358 (2,251 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

Dec 2, 2013

My controller is fine , I play FIFA, BF4, KZ, COD and NBA.. Played alot with my DS4 and no wear yet.. Why are these pics displaying so much sand like it's been filed down to the bone..lol

One pic obviously has been filed down and wiped around the edges and stilll shows sand/dust..

If your a man , then you must know we all got sanders to smooth our stuff like wood and file things down.. This doesn't look natural to me.

Either that or you got really dry alligator skin.

Please try harder. 

Message 53 of 358 (2,244 Views)
First Son
22 posts

Dec 2, 2013
Kudos to you..I saw this before launch too..

So much drama before launch was solely created by MS and their hardcore bunch of nerds. Tell them to try harder.
Message 54 of 358 (2,243 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Re: Dual Shock 4 Joystick Rubber Wear...

Dec 2, 2013

I'm having the same problem happening to both of my controllers.  After the 1st week of playing I noticed the black shavings and knew exactly what was happening.  By the end of the 2nd week, I noticed a split in one of the controllers joystick silicon cover.  By the end of the 3rd week both controllers had split and some of the silicon had ripped off completely.  Also the splitting had receded further.  And no, I do not play often.  My 2 year old limits my time to actually play, but I have a buddy that comes over once a week to play.

I had the same thing happen to my xbox 360 controller, but only after about a year or two (not 2 weeks)...just as a comparison.  I'll admit we're not exactly gentle on the joysticks, but I never had this problem so soon with my xbox 360 controller.

Message 55 of 358 (2,221 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Dec 2, 2013

I've noticed similar posts on this same subject and have been replying to all the same...

I'm having the same problem happening to both of my controllers.  After the 1st week of playing I noticed the black shavings and knew exactly what was happening.  By the end of the 2nd week, I noticed a split in one of the controllers joystick silicon cover.  By the end of the 3rd week both controllers had split and some of the silicon had ripped off completely.  Also the splitting had receded further.  And no, I do not play often.  My 2 year old limits my time to actually play, but I have a buddy that comes over once a week to play.

I had the same thing happen to my xbox 360 controller, but only after about a year or two (not 2 weeks)...just as a comparison.  I'll admit we're not exactly gentle on the joysticks, but I never had this problem so soon with my xbox 360 controller.

Message 56 of 358 (2,257 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
110 posts

Dec 2, 2013

my NA ps4 launch controller that came with the ps4 just started wearing down on the left and a bit on the right also r1 sticks didnt know about that till seeing a guy on utube showing it

theres a big thread ovder at neogaf with users reporting this post number 1392 talks about sony replacing the DS4 under warranty

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=711160&page=28

Message 57 of 358 (2,255 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Re: Dual Shock 4 - Material Flaking Off of Sticks

Dec 2, 2013

I've noticed similar posts on this same subject and have been replying to all the same...

Message 58 of 358 (2,267 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
34 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 2, 2013

I've had similar problems although my wear has been spread over 3 different controllers so none have gotten quite so bad.  I'm a bit curious if it has something to do with crappy uv wear on the material they have used.  My controllers have turned a noticable shade of grey instead of the original black that they started with, and I do have a very sunny living room where when I'm not playing the PS4 the controllers probably get a decent amount of sunlight. 

My DS3 controllers (all 4 of them) sit out in the exact same spot and are flawless even after 5+ years of play time, they may be slightly smoother than when they started life but nothing like I'm seeing with the DS4. The top of the thing is totally flat now and I'm starting to see a bit of hard plastic showing through the outer layer.  I probably have logged 15+ hours per controller (as a guess) and to see this kind of wear is insane.  Normal wear and tear does not apply, this is obviously a manufacturing defect and sony needs to make it right.  For those folks that are calling in, don't take no as an answer get the problem escalated to a manager at least because 2 weeks in and having the coating wearing off already is just insane regardless of how many hours of use.  The 5+ years I've used my DS3 controllers I've logged TONS of time on them and they are still great.

Message 59 of 358 (2,214 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
79 posts

Dec 2, 2013

This thread is attempting to track model numbers and associate them to the problem.  It may be that only a specific model or batch has this issue, but a LOT of people are experiencing the same thing - some with only a couple of hours under their belt:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=90489569#post90489569

Some people have suggested these pads from Amazon as a replacement for their wearing rubber:

http://www.amazon.com/Grip-iT-Analog-Stick-Covers-PlayStation-4/dp/B003NSLGW2?tag=viglink129408-20

Message 60 of 358 (2,208 Views)
0 Likes