Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sep 18 2013
By: Crazy-MoFo-024 Splicer 45 posts
Accepted Solution

New PS3 owner = more dumb questions lol

11 replies 246 views Edited Sep 18, 2013

Ok I have another question that is probably a stupid one...

I prefer to use a headset while gaming so I don't disturb the household...   So I went out and bought a PS3 gaming headset  (Dreamgear brand, cheap)  and it says to hook the USB to the PS3, and the R/W audio jacks to the TV's audio out... 

So I have it set up exact like the pics show... HDMI cable from PS3 to TV.. USB from PS3 to headset... R/W audio jacks from TV's audio out to the headset...

Yet no matter what I do I can't get the sound to come out of the headphones at all.. It's still being routed through the TV.

Am I missing an option in the PS3 settings somewhere or what?   

Message 1 of 12 (246 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3918 posts

Re: New PS3 owner = more dumb questions lol

[ Edited ]
Sep 18, 2013

Crazy-MoFo-024 wrote:

I prefer to use a headset while gaming so I don't disturb the household...   So I went out and bought a PS3 gaming headset  (Dreamgear brand, cheap)  and it says to hook the USB to the PS3, and the R/W audio jacks to the TV's audio out... 

So I have it set up exact like the pics show... HDMI cable from PS3 to TV.. USB from PS3 to headset... R/W audio jacks from TV's audio out to the headset...

Yet no matter what I do I can't get the sound to come out of the headphones at all.. It's still being routed through the TV.

just curious but did you go to XMB and set up the audio for mic and test it there? Because there is a level indicator that flows into the red if your voice can be heard and projected over headset?

Message 2 of 12 (240 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
346 posts

Sep 18, 2013

Crazy-MoFo-024 wrote:

Try changing your audio output on your PS3. I believe it's in the Settings XMB.

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan.
Message 3 of 12 (216 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
45 posts

Sep 18, 2013

Try changing your audio output on your PS3. I believe it's in the Settings XMB.

Yeah that's what I've been fiddling with...

There are 3 options for audio output settings...

HDMI - sound comes through the TV, nothing through headset

Optical Digital - No sound at all

Audio Input Connector / SCART / AV MULTI - Sound comes through TV... but only when Audio Multi Output is on - still nothing through headset

For HDMI and Optical Digital the Audio Multi Output has no effect.

Message 4 of 12 (209 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
128 posts

Sep 18, 2013

If its hooked up the correct way, I would make sure the headset is turned up and not on mute. It sounds dumb I know but have seen this happen to a friend. Never used a headset with PS3, so wish you luck.

Message 5 of 12 (204 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
14049 posts

Sep 18, 2013

Not a dumb question, if it is about something you really need to know about. You can set up your mic under PS3 settings, but in all honesty your not going to ge tthe best quality with a 3rd party brand. So, if you have an extra $25, just go buy Sony's wired PS3 mic.

Multisystem owner. PS Plus member:Legendary status.GAP member with a launch PS3 & PS4.

Message 6 of 12 (200 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
4691 posts

Sep 18, 2013

Crazy-MoFo-024 wrote:

It seems to me like this is the problem.  You say it goes through to the TV, so the TV isn't outputting to your headphones; check the TV settings.

Message 7 of 12 (191 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
938 posts

Sep 18, 2013

I got a really nice 3rd party mic actually.  It works very well.  I got it because I use the PC as well so I wanted something I would use after  I sold my ps3.  You can get it for 50 dollars on amazon, instead of using the TV to have a second audio stream it hooks into the ps3 via the AV adaptor, has two volume controlls on it, one for each line so you can turn down chat seperate from the game.  A nice feature for sure.

The surround sound is pretty awesome, several times it saved me in COD because I would hear someone behind me before they started fireing

http://www.amazon.com/Gioteck-Multi-format-Headset-PlayStation-3-63062006305700/dp/B005LN5U42/ref=pd...

Message 8 of 12 (186 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
938 posts

Sep 18, 2013

Crazy-MoFo-024 wrote:

I know with my headset I had to change some settings, in particular there was one for multiple outputs, which allowed for mulitple audio streams which you might need for your USB connection to send a line of audio to your headset.

Message 9 of 12 (182 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
49161 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 18, 2013

Is this the style of headset you got?

If you set all the audio to go to the headset instead of the TV, in that settings menu you have already found on the PS3, it should fix your issue.........when you do this do NOT have the av cables hooked from the TV to the headset though, it should all come out of the USB at that point.

Message 10 of 12 (168 Views)
0 Likes