Jan 03 2014
By: n1ckn4m3 First Son 7 posts

PS4 / Dualshock 4 Permanent Input Latency

[ Edited ]
3 replies 854 views Edited Jan 3, 2014

I have seen a lot of threads on the forum about intermittent DS4 latency, or latency that occurs when you plug in a headset -- this post is NOT about those issues.

I have noticed that the DS4 on the PS4 has considerable input latency vs the DS3/SixAxis on the PS3.  It is most notable in precision timing games such as Zen Pinball or Pinball Arcade, where hitting the flipper button noticably lags before the action occurs on screen.  As pinball is based primarily on timing, this makes the DS4 useless when playing pinball games as I end up having to lead the ball with the flipper press, which is imprecise and frankly silly considering they re-did the wireless on the DS4 to be 'lower latency'.

If the PS4 had any level of backwards compatibility, throwing in a game like Frequency or Amplitude would make this obvious -- if Rock Band Blitz ever gets ported, I think it will also be a cut and dry example of this latency.

Before anyone asks, yes, I have checked to make sure my TV is not doing any 120hz/240hz upconversion nonsense which introduces lag, the TV is the same TV that works fine on the PS3 and I'm using the same input and the same configuration when using the PS4.

The other thing that's odd about it is that if I connect my Vita to remote play, the lag still exists but is *FAR* less noticable.  How is it that my Vita can transmit control data wirelessly faster than the DS4, designed solely to do just that?

Is this a firmware issue that can be sorted by a system update and a controller firmware update?  Or is this just another in a long list of bad design decisions for the DS4?

Additional information:

PS4 connects via HDMI to a Denon AVR-3310CI receiver, which connects via HDMI to my 73" RPDLP TV.  Tonight I am going to try cabling directly to the TV and removing the receiver to see if there's some kind of HDMI signalling issue that is introducing latency in the receiver, and also am going to try to cable the DS4 directly to the PS4 and see if the lag is different, as I'm to understand the DS4 can act as a wired controller when plugged in (which is how it works with PCs and Macs).

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 4 (854 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3501 posts

Re: PS4 / Dualshock 4 Permanent Input Latency

Jan 3, 2014

Weird, I am just not seeing this with my setup at all while playing PInball Arcade.

PS4 TO HDMI AV RCVR TO HDMI PROJECTOR

It would make me bonkers if there was flipper lag in PA.

Have you tried more than one DS4?

The truth will set you free... But it may sting a bit...
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 4 (839 Views)
First Son
7 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 7, 2014

Thank you for the reply -- it turns out I was being an idiot.

I rechecked all of my cabling and realized that the PS4 had been going through the receiver to the TV, vs the PS3 going to the TV directly.  I re-cabled the PS4 directly to the TV with optical audio to the receiver and the lag was gone.

This was a case of me thinking I had tested something one way and fooling myself.

Now, figuring out why my AVR-3310CI seems to be introducing noticable HDMI lag ... that's a project for another day.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 4 (810 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Apr 8, 2014
Sounds like your have input lag coming from your TV.. Most tv's come with game mode which is made to trade I/P speed Vs. Quality.. & if you still experience Lag then you just need to upgrade to monitors..
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 4 (488 Views)
0 Likes