Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
First Son
6 posts

Re: Second dualshock 4 controller broken!

Feb 16, 2014

Why is Sony shipping trash accessories with their console? It really makes me think I need to sell my ps4 before it also dies on me like all of my previous ps3s. I've had to fix them  myself because Sony wanted $150 after they conveniently broke right after warranty ran out. These things are designed to last as long as your warranty. 

Same thing has happened to me and anyone else that bought their ps4 with the intention of actually using it. I guess Sony figured most people just wanted their console as a showpiece.

I can do nothing with my console because my controller is almost unusable. Right after the 30 day warranty ran out my R2 hinge broke. How convenient? I thought assassins creed does use r2 a lot so I figured I just over used it or pushed too hard. I played assassins creed 1-3 on ps3 and my ps3 controller is still in good condition after years.  So I was broke because I had just dished out $500 for a brand new console and had no way to buy another controller.

The R2 button wasn't really important enough for me to worry about because I have games that don't use the R2 button as much such as Contrast and Resogun and Killzone. Mostly I didn't want to wait a month or 2 on my controller to be evaluated and maybe not even get a replacement. The button was so bad that I really couldn't play Assassins Creed, my favorite game, I have.  The R2 button sticks and he will be stuck in run mode. Shooting a gun is terrible because I have to manually pull the R2 button in place every time I want to shoot. After playing Resogun, Contrast, Killzone, and Don't Starve the other buttons have started messing up. Triangle sticks so bad I can press it maybe once a second because I have to  wait for it to pop back out. the square and x button still work but they have a delay no doubt. The left analog stick is rubbing off and I'm sure the right one would soon if i could still bear using the broken controller. 

Please use plain text.
Message 61 of 361 (693 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Re: PS4 dual shock R2 trigger broken on 2 controllers in under a month

Feb 21, 2014

Just had the same thing happen today with the R2 trigger. After looking the issue up online this appears to be a major widespread problem. This is my first controller and I've had it for about two months. I really don't want to have to go through this again considering the only options are to pay for return shipping and wait for a replacement through Sony or buy a new controller and return the broken one. Considering I mainly play FPS I can expect this will happen again and again until Sony replaces the plastic hinges.

People are also complaining about the rubber on the joysticks shredding off. I looked at mine after seeing this and there is a small tear on the left joystick which will eventually lead to the whole thing falling apart.

Please fix this problem Sony!

Please use plain text.
Message 62 of 361 (3,292 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 25, 2014

Same with mine, the R2 hinge on the controller has broken. I had no intention in sending the controller for repairs as I don't personally see the point of the wait and complications of incompetent customer service (Although time to time, great) just to be told that the break was my fault from wear.

Taken the controller apart to inspect the design and construction of the controller - all I can say, cheap Chinese nonsense of poor build quality. The price that these controllers are marketed at are ridiculous and are not worth it.. The plastics used on the most important mechanisms in the controller are weak/cheap.

The use of ABS plastic would of been extremely beneficial to the construction of these parts and would of still been cheaper than using forms of metal etc as other alternatives. 

I will NOT be buying another Playstation 4 controller until these errors are resolved.

At end of the day, cheap construction and materials used - in all, an accident waiting to happen.

Sort the issue out Sony, sadly I will not be able to get my controller replace but I would personally rather re-build it my self to a standard that it wont break from lightly grasping it.

EDIT: After further reading the comments made about the controller, the rubber is also coming apart off my controller too.

The stupid thing of all this is that I don't even play it that much, total of around 6-8hours playtime since owning the PS4. I work all day everyday, don't have much time to play but if I am going to spend a small fortune on a 'renown' product - I do not expect it to break within weeks and of minimal use. 

I am also a light player, not heavy on the controller at all and everything is put away safely at night/not in use to avoid damage.

Sort the issue out, for the time being I will be resolving to a construction of my own once I have gotten everything sorted/needed.

Please use plain text.
Message 63 of 361 (2,910 Views)
First Son
2 posts

Feb 26, 2014

Same here, DS4 R2 trigger broken after 50h of BF4 play. also the L thumbstick rubber is broken.

I guess sony should change DS4 L/R 2 triggers and L/R thumbsticks covers design.

Please use plain text.
Message 64 of 361 (2,833 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Feb 26, 2014
Im joining at this club angry as all the people here how sony can made this parts so cheap or weak they have to test like "others" did the controller it is a important part of gaming my facts:....i have only one controller, i imported your console, i have to pay for shipping, i paid for plus membership and i cant play because, i have to wait almost 1 month to receive a new one and its going to have the same problem because you didnt stress or test the controller in normal situations causing this hardware failure i know that this is going to grow please sony fix this because we trust on your launch hardware because we cant paid another 65 bucks for a controller that is going to be broken in the first 2 or 3 months...
Please use plain text.
Message 65 of 361 (2,829 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Feb 26, 2014

First PS4 controller lasted less than a month after purchase. I sent it to sony and they fixed it. The same controller broke again last night. So the R2 trigger has broken twice in less than four months. I've beat the crap out of my ps3 controllers and they still function perfecetly. I do not abuse my PS4 contollers, and they break under normal game play. What a joke. I guess I'll buy another one at best buy and get the warranty. So i can take it their and exchange it for a new controller every time it breaks. At this rate I'll be getting a new controller ever two months.

Please use plain text.
Message 66 of 361 (2,825 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Replacement r2 button

Feb 26, 2014

Please use plain text.
Message 67 of 361 (1,595 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5911 posts

Re: Replacement r2 button

Feb 26, 2014

What about it?

** Engage brain before putting mouth in gear **
Playstation Signature photo Signature-1.jpg
MVP Terms and Conditions ______(=^‥^=)______ Forum Rules of Conduct

Please use plain text.
Message 68 of 361 (1,295 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13100 posts

Re: Replacement r2 button

Feb 26, 2014

The PS4 warranty explanation’s opening paragraph on SCEA’s website suggests the DualShock 4 is covered for a year, but even if it’s 90 days, anyone who bought the system on November 15th is still covered.

Please use plain text.
Message 69 of 361 (1,279 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Feb 27, 2014
I've been hearing this all over the web regarding DS4 controllers breaking very easily.

Tonight my R2 button is sticking thus unable to play BF4, after only 3 months of use this shouldn't be breaking! I guess I'll be contacting customer support to issue a replacement asap under the warranty however this obviously will not be a long term solution as I hear of players purchasing 2nd or 3rd DS4 controllers.

I WILL NOT PAY £60 for the pad to break again, sort this problem by designing a new controller otherwise you'll lose people to XB1.
Please use plain text.
Message 70 of 361 (2,501 Views)