Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
First Son
6 posts

Re: The Official PS3 Wireless Stereo Headset: Problems With Interference

Jan 18, 2012

I loved mine. It worked great until the dongle got lost. Sony said no re[lacements available but I could buy one thatcame with a free headset

mrbang

Message 61 of 113 (1,786 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 30, 2012
When i play MW2 with my headset off i average 22 kills per game when i play with them on i average about 12 ... there is definitely something going on between the wireless headset and the controller because the type of lag i feel when this issue occurs is definitely not that of a bad connection (besides my signal is always at full strength during matches when i check) because the same type of late response happens when i'm on netflix using the headset ... i have to say that i got my headset in Dec 11' and this problem seems to have been occuring towards the end of Jan 12' ... SONY please fix this ******* crap, provide an update, recall the product, do something, cuz its unnacceptable for a product (the headset) meant specifically for the PS3 to be having this type of issue with other elementary components such as the damn dualshock controller ... Really ?
Message 62 of 113 (1,786 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
498 posts

Jan 30, 2012

I'm not real familiar with the Sony headset, but I always use a high quality bluetooth device, in my case a Plantronics. You really are better off with something like with high consumer reviews than the "branded" Sony headsets.

That said, I'm not sure if your issue isn't a general interference issue or not. There could be lots of causes that typically are worse in high density tennant buildings.

I'll explain the interference because I think it is important to understand the underlying issues when troubleshooting. Bluetooth and Wi-Fi use very different technologies. Bluetooth uses frequency hopping spread spectrum (FHSS) and modern Wi-Fi uses OFDM. Bluetooth creates narrow band interference with Wi-Fi, and the reverse is true as well. I believe it was the 1.2 Bluetooth specification that allows Bluetooth devices to avoid using frequencies that have high interference, which makes it much better at co-existing with Wi-Fi.

But in a crowded Wi-Fi environment, like in apartment buildings, most likely all channels are in use, so Bluetooth is going to have to choose the least interfering channel. It may be that the tenant that is above you has a stronger Wi-Fi signal, so your Bluetooth is avoiding his channel and using your Wi-Fi router's channel. It could be that there's so many Bluetooth devices running in the area that your headset can't pick a channel that doesn't avoid your own Wi-Fi. It's complicated and there are many, many possible situations.

I don't have this problem so I've never had to troubleshoot this exact issue. But you could try changing the channel on your Wi-Fi router, you could try playing with the power levels as well. Use your laptop to see what all kinds of Wi-Fi you have in your area. Sometimes it's actually better to choose the same channel as someone else if their signal is strong enough. It's counter-intuitive to pick the same channel as your neighbor, but it allows the channel access protocols to work so that you technically don't "interfere". The reason this sometimes helps is a lengthy explanation, but it's not so much your neighbor that you are trying to avoid, but your neighbor's neighbor. For example, if you are on channel 1, your neighbor is on 6, and another more distant neighbor is on 1, you can have interference with the other channel 1 that is just enough outside of range that the signal isn't always "receivable", meaning it is just noise", but it is close enough that the noise is detrimental. Now you aren't having any problem with the neighbor on 6, of course. But it 11 is also in high use, then you can't choose it either. Sometimes choosing 6 in this case is the lesser of all alternative evils, because it gets you off the channel 1 interference, while sharing channel 6 in a non-interfering way isn't as nice as having channel 6 all to yourself, but it's better than being on a channel that has lots of interference.

Message 63 of 113 (1,786 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
498 posts

Jan 30, 2012

Also, don't use things like "Super G" or other channel bonding features in your home Wi-Fi. Some people have multiple Wi-Fi APs in their home, and that can also create problems if you are using all the channels.

The basic thing is to summarize all this is that there is limited spectrum, and you can reach a point of overcrowding that these types of problems occur. Generally speaking these things (Bluetooth and Wi-F) work well together because they can avoid either other. But when all the spectrum is in use, all bets are off as to which channels (Wi-Fi) and which frequencies (Bluetooth) they will choose and how those will interact.

Message 64 of 113 (1,786 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Feb 5, 2012

I've had my PS3 Wireless Headset since last October.  I have some complains about the headset, but that's for another thread.  Thankfully, the sound was perfect.  I never had a single cutout, or digital blip.  Unfortunately, my PS3 phat suffered YLOD in December and I wasn't able to recover it.  I purchased a new PS3 Slim this week.  I plugged the same Wireless Headset into the console and now I'm getting cutouts and digital blips constantly.

What I'm trying to say here is that nothing except for the console has changed.  I went from a phat to a slim and now I have issues with the headset.  The only thing I can think of is that the console isn't shielded, or grounded as well as my old phat.

I will try the USB dongle extension 'trick', but I really think this is a poor excuse of a fix from Sony.  This problem, and the fact that my new PS3 produced a high frequency fan noise shows me that Sony has really cut back on their QA.  I am on the verge of returning the console.

I would be curious to know if the people having all these problems are all PS3 Slim owners.

Message 65 of 113 (1,786 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
118 posts

Feb 5, 2012

i got my playstation wireless headset and upgraded to a 320gb ps3 and my headset is working fine. didi you drop or damage the headset at any point in time? wats the extension remedy u r talking about? nm i saw what you guys were talking about. i always have my ps3 connected straight to my router. i never use a wireless connection if possible not to. i dont have any problem with my headphones either. try wiring your connection if possible guys.

Message 66 of 113 (1,786 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
249 posts

Feb 24, 2012

Our issue was the headset interferring with our wireless network. With the head set off the connection was fine. With the headset on the connection was all over the place. It was very consistent. Solid without the headset, very inconsistent with it on. The problem is definitely some kind of interference between the headset dongle and the PS3. I put on a 3ft USB extension that I already happen to have and the problems disappeared. This is definitely something that Sony needs to look into.

My wifi router is an Apple Airport Extreme. We had no issues with any other wireless device in the house. Just the PS3. And again the problem was definitely linked to the headset being turned on. I tested it many times to be sure. It was 100% consistent. I hope this thread will help others. It certainly was helpful for me. I was getting really frustrated with the issue after trying every setting on the router and PS3 that I could possibly try.

Message 67 of 113 (1,786 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Feb 27, 2012

Hi,

I had the wireless headset two weeks ago and faced same problem. Each time I connected the headset, my internet connection failed. I changed my router's channel, nothing happened. Then I connected wireless adaptor via an extension cable and placed it with a short distance from PS3 as Sony suggests. But the problem continued.

Finally I tried  turning off the "MEDIA SHARING SERVER" (setting>network settings>media server>disable) as Ash_Killem and Ironback sugessted. And  it worked. Last night I played MW3 with the headset for about an hour without any problem.. For those who had not tried it so far, I think it worths to give a try..

Thanks guys..

Message 68 of 113 (1,786 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
146 posts

Mar 9, 2012

Wow, a lot of people with the joystick problem. I have the same problem, when using the headset, it seems this one is making an interference with my joystick. So did anyone finally find a solution to this?

0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1237 posts

Mar 14, 2012

At first I didnt have a problem with my Headset, but later on once I turned my headset on it would completely interfefe with my WiFi. I recently changed the channel on my router and it seems to work but then at one point it late at night it seem to interfere  again.

I might buy a USB extension just to test if it improves anything.

Message 70 of 113 (1,786 Views)
0 Likes