Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 08 2011
By: supercliff First Son 1 posts

Wireless Stereo Headset won't charge

54 replies 20269 views Edited Dec 8, 2011

I've tried to charge my new wireless headset from my PS3, laptop (all ports), and my Iphone charger.

I can't get the red light on the microphone to light up. I just got the headset yesterday and it came 1/2 way charged so I was able to use it today. I was hoping that it would charge once the battery was low. Still no luck.

Anyone else out there have this problem?

Message 1 of 55 (20,269 Views)
First Son
2 posts

Re: Wireless Stereo Headset won't charge

Jan 13, 2012

having exactlt the same problem - anyone have any idea about a fix? did you sort yours supercliff

Message 2 of 55 (20,267 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jan 29, 2012

Same problem here!  Worked fine for two days and now nothing!  I only got to charge it once.  I received this as a gift and don't have a receipt or the box anymore, so I am not getting any help from Sony of the store where it was purchased.  So pissed.  Sony's answer to my problem: "since it will not power on, there is nothing we can do."  FML.

Message 3 of 55 (20,267 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Apr 27, 2012

You must use the original USB cable that came with your Dual Shock controller and you must plug it into one of the two front PS3 usb ports (or a similar high powered usb charging station).  Most USB ports on cheaper usb charging stations, DVD players, HDTVs, computers, etc... allow you to draw up to 5 volts and 500 mA (milli amps). Your PS3 wireless stereo headset draws something like 800 mA, which is why the red light will not turn on and stay solid.  It cannot get the current (amperage) it needs. The USB cable that came with the Dual Shock controller also allows greater current to flow which is the second part of the equation.  So you must have the right cable and the right type of high powered usb charging port.

- Jay (yes, I am an EE)

Message 4 of 55 (20,267 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Oct 31, 2012

So though my computer was able to charge my headset fine for more than five months, even while being used, i now have to use my ps3 to charge it?

That sounds a tad fishy, regardless of any perspective.

Either way, my ps3 is completely toast, it's power cord died jsut yesterday and i don't have the money to replace it, so if that's the only way to charge it, i might aswell toss teh headset out, seeing as how the headset blinks on for only one second to be charging, yet when i try to use it, it won't turn on. Ever.

Honestly... When i replace my headset i'll most likely jsut get something from another company, nothing has worked like that for me, and Yes. I am quite annoyed by this as i am currently unable to do any of my youtube series' At All.

But yeah... I need to charge it on my ps3 when my pc did fine for five months.

Message 5 of 55 (19,876 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Nov 4, 2012

I contacted Sony having experienced the same problem with my head set after owning for about 8 months. Sony was very helpful and told me to reset the head set. You do this by going to the back of the left side of the headset and hitting the button in the tiny pinhole. It is hard to find the pinhole but its there, very small.

Message 6 of 55 (19,855 Views)
First Son
2 posts

Dec 1, 2012

I tried doing that, but its still dead? Do you have to hold it for any time duration? 

Message 7 of 55 (19,702 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

May 26, 2013

I have the same problem i plug it in with the charger from the "New Owner's Kit" yet the light still is on but does not charge. It has been a week that it is charging and still doesnt turn on???

Please help me.

Message 8 of 55 (18,176 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

May 27, 2013
Mine stays red for like 2 seconds then the color goes away. Any help? I've tried it using my computer and my ps3 with the USB cord it came with and no luck. The ps3 now makes the light flash red and it was working two days ago. All help is appreciated
Message 9 of 55 (18,160 Views)
First Son
1 posts

May 29, 2013
I'm having the same problem as mclovin (the post above).

Plugging my headset into multiple different locations and USB cords the light stays on for two seconds then goes away. If I plug into my ps3 it flashes red like the controllers when charging, but the headset doesn't take a charge that way.
Message 10 of 55 (18,107 Views)