Nov 04 2013
By: Malacoda77 First Son 6 posts

having issue with controller not working with the PS3

6 replies 251 views Edited Nov 4, 2013

I have two controllers the won't connect to the PS3 properly. 

Started having problems with the origional one a few months ago.  I looks like it's fully charged, but when i hit the (PS) button, it does nothing.  I only seems to work when it's plugged directly in, but doesn't connect wirelessly.

Ran to the store and got a new one.  Worked for a while, but just yesterday it also stopped connecting to the PS3.  It also doesn't work properly plugged in.  Always scrolls all of the way to the left in the menu.   It also locks up while its plugged in until it gets to the main menu.  Tried to use it with windows 8 without success.

Updated to v4.50

rest the controllers, no result

any ideas?

Message 1 of 7 (251 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7318 posts

Re: having issue with controller not working with the PS3

Nov 4, 2013

Can you rmember what happened up to when the new controller you bought stopped connecting? So far, it sounds like your Bluetooth receiver is dying. Try connecting a Bluetooth headset to your PS3. If it won't connect, it's probably a safe bet that your Bluetooth receiver is dying inside your PS3.

soco signature

bhd clan site
mvp terms
forum rules
Message 2 of 7 (242 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Nov 4, 2013

the new controller was working fine until i tried to use it with windows 8.  i think the buttons somehow got scrambled.  it respond plugged in as if the left d-pad button is constantly pressed down and the right thumb buttons do nothing.

the bluetooth reciever could also be dying too, the old controller works fine plugged directly in (except that when i tried to type something in the cursor would perpetually delete anything typed). 

Message 3 of 7 (232 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Nov 4, 2013

I also noticed that nothing happens when i hit the (PS) button on either controller.  aren't the lights on the back supposed to light up when that button is first pressed?

Message 4 of 7 (228 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
7907 posts

Nov 4, 2013

Malacoda77 wrote:

I also noticed that nothing happens when i hit the (PS) button on either controller.  aren't the lights on the back supposed to light up when that button is first pressed?

Yes they are.  All four should blink until a link is established with the PS3.

** Engage brain before putting mouth in gear **
Playstation Signature photo Signature-1.jpg
MVP Terms and Conditions ____________(=^‥^=)____________ Forum Rules of Conduct

================== SONY Customer Service ==================

Message 5 of 7 (224 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Support
5402 posts

Nov 5, 2013

Here are a few things that may help:

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/444/

Thanks,

U--J

PlayStation Moderation and Support Guy @ www.playstationsupportforum.com
Message 6 of 7 (213 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 6, 2013

tried it already

no dice

also, attempted to enter the wep key for the wireless and noticed that i couldn't enter any characters.  it was as if the square button was repeatedly being pressed and deleting the characters.  this is on the older controller.

i find it good timing that this unit could work for all this time and right when the ps4 is due to arrive, all of the sudden my controller doesn't work and the new controller fails immediately.  is that good timing or what?!

Message 7 of 7 (210 Views)
0 Likes