Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Lombax Warrior
251 posts

Re: 64GB, 128GB, 256GB cards

Jul 27, 2012
Yes Tunnelrat, you can have 110 bubbles in your Livearea, 11 per screen, 10 screens.

This is a major detractor to higher capacity cards, even if you do your downloading digitally, it's very easy to fill that 32GB with Mini's, or low capacity PSP games like Puzzle Quest, Final Fantasy Tactics, Class of Heroes, and other games that don't clock in at 200MB. Add to that, a lot of the social apps don't even use 20MB. Wait till PSOne support comes out, you will run into nearly the same problem as Mini's.

Physical games will also suffer because when you install a physical game onto your Vita, there ar esome games that don't even take up 10MB of space.

As of right now, the main advantage to a higher capacity card, is being able to store a bunch of movies and/or music onto the Vita. Unless you plan to download EVERY game digitally, buying physically it will be tough to hit the 32GB limit. Though there are some good digital only games out right now.

32GB is plenty if you do all your games physically. The higher capacity will definatly come into play, once PSOne support comes out. PS+ members already have about 50 games free, if you've been supporting it since May 2010.

As the Vita is going deeper into it's lifecycle, the bigger problem is LiveArea, not a 32GB memory card.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Please Subscribe to my Youtube page!
https://www.youtube.com/user/HollywoodShono?feature=mhee
Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 84 (1,450 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
390 posts

Jul 27, 2012

I am sure that it will never be an issue for me but it sounds like something that can be changed with a firmware update in the future. I was just wondering but not really a worry for me as I never keep games for long after I beat them. I keep my game consoles the same way I keep my PC lean so they perform better. Although I have regretted deleting certain game data in the past as it transfered over to the next game in a franchise like Mass Effect did and Borderlands will.

Baptism's of Fire
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 84 (1,448 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
251 posts

Jul 27, 2012

Not to mention that most game data is so small it would really only matter to delete files on a console if you own a 20GB, 40GB, or 60GB system, where games could install upwards of 5GB alone.

Everyone has different ways to play and store content and every way is suited to the person doing it.

That 110 bubble limit of LiveArea would be much better if it was handled like iPhone and Android Phones, allowing you to pick and choose what games or applications to have on those bubbles, and then having all the games categorized in a drop down menu similiar to the Movies or Music App, or in XMB format, for quick picking.   It could be done, and it would solve any of those issues, especially for people who like to keep all their games on the system.

There is no wrong way of doing it, I just know that the consoles are only limited by storage space, as well as PC's, even the PSP had no limit other than storage space.

Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 84 (1,446 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
481 posts

Jul 28, 2012
I just wish that they would create folders like the iPhone has. You know, when the iPhone first came out, it originally had the problem that we experience now with the Vita and the 110 app cap. Apple fixed that I think with iOS 4.0 with the creation of folders. It may take a bit of time before we're able to see that on the Vita since it Apple 3 years to do something about it.
Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 84 (1,443 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
423 posts

Jul 30, 2012

BShornock wrote:

As of right now, the main advantage to a higher capacity card, is being able to store a bunch of movies and/or music onto the Vita. Unless you plan to download EVERY game digitally, buying physically it will be tough to hit the 32GB limit.

I read this, Chuckle to myself, and remember this quote.

"No one will need more than 637 kb of memory for a personal computer." ~ Bill Gates

Ahh the good ol days. More is always better. However I agree about the livespace thing. Personally, I wouldnt mind an app drawer or lil more like Android to sort this out better.

~Battlez-avec la Mystique?~
Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 84 (1,423 Views)
Lombax Warrior
218 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 31, 2012

McL0v1n_UR_M0M wrote:

I agree the price is outrageous, not to mention on the 32 gig, 2 gigs are gone, what are those 3 gigs used for? I think i will post that question to see why. But the logistics of a 256 gig card will be astronomical, like 800 bucks, thats even more than solid state drive, which i though was high.

This is speculation but the high price is not do to the storage space. It's do to the fact it only works for one device. The Vita. There are a very limited number of Vitas out there (~2 million *shrug*) and each Vita is designed to work with one memory card at a time (i.e. The cards are not designed to be removed from the unit on a regular basis). Since far more will be made than sold with many being returned to Sony do to units not being sold. And compared to the cost of game cartridges for the Vita (which are probably 2 to 8 GB in size) the Vita's memory cards are no where near as expensive. 

Like I said it's speculation. 

Stop complaining about the price. Sheesh. You buy these *only* for the Vita. Buy one and sell you current one online for $10-20. That right there will cut the price of a 32GB unit. Of course if it won't sell you'll understand the risk Sony is taking shipping these to and from retailers. 

As for the space limititation. Well... if you manage to reach the maximum application count, you are going to have to make some sacrafices, I suggest removing unwanted PSP apps first since saved data isn't removed when you delete the bubble icon (game saves and such are stored elsewhere). If you need to delete Vita games, back the ones you plan to delete to a computer or PS3. This will insure any saved data is preserved. 

Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 84 (1,418 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
251 posts

Jul 31, 2012

They probably figure that the average person who owns a Vita, will have no more than 10 games on it, and probably 3-4 windows full.

There are 30 something Vita games out right now, if you buy all the physical ones, and the dozen digital games out there, you will still have plenty of room on your card.

What really makes it easy to fill out the bubbles, are the extra content, the PSP games, the Mini's.   And I see it being a serious problem once PS1 games are able to be played on the Vita.   But it will be sweet.

Now, if only they could release a version of Angry Birds, Bejeweled 3, Tetris, Dungeon Defenders, Rainbow Moon, Wizardry Labryinth of Lost Souls, and some more REAL RPG's(Without having to import Tales of Innocence R from Japan like I did), I would be happy.   I bet Dark Souls would be able to sell a million Vita's easily.   I bet people would pay $49.99-59.99 to be able to play Skyrim on the Vita.   Transfer your saves from PS3 and you're good.   Map out L2/L3/R2/R3 to the back touchpad.

TV tuner would also be sweet since they put a 42" TV at my work.

Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 84 (1,407 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
251 posts

Jul 31, 2012

One of the reasons I bought a PSP, was because of all the good RPG's on it.   Yes, I could buy digital copies and play them on the Vita(And I would love to play Tactics Ogre on the Vita)

Please use plain text.
Message 28 of 84 (1,406 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Re: 64GB, 128GB, 256GB cards, LiveArea Limits(Main Post updated 7-27-12)

Aug 26, 2012

I am tempted to sell my Vita. Let's face it this isnot the biggest problem the system has.

Please use plain text.
Message 29 of 84 (1,299 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
421 posts

Re: 64GB, 128GB, 256GB cards, LiveArea Limits(Main Post updated 7-27-12)

[ Edited ]
Aug 30, 2012

You guys need to think about this? 1st buy one or two 32GB Vita Memory Cards for your games and save data only. That Vita memory card is for only your games. Take the 2rd Vita card if only you borught 2rd memory card and use it for only movies, music, and ect. 

Make sure to logo in with that 1st vita memory card only and don't do anything else until this. Then make sure to do back-up 1st from the first vita memory card before uploading anything onto it. Take your 2rd memory card and restore it with the back-up. Then your'll all done then. Both memory cards are tire to your main account only and can be change when the system is off for things you can do. 

I plan to make video on how to do this trick and it does come in hand when you want to play game or watch movies. Video i'll make will make it more easy then writeing it down. 

PS: Hope it make sense and you understand what i meant by this. Its been working for me up to now perfectly without problems. 

Please use plain text.
Message 30 of 84 (1,272 Views)
0 Likes