Lombax Warrior
251 posts

Re: 64GB, 128GB, 256GB cards

[ Edited ]
Jan 28, 2013

The only system I hacked, was a PSP 2000, and only for Homebrew, Diablo, and Final Fantasy V before it became a PSOne classic, both games I physically own for the Playstation 1, and am able to play via Remote Play on the Vita.   I have 2 PS3's, 2 PSVita's, 2 PSP's, an Xbox 360, and a Wii U.

I am glad that you are also seeing the glaring problems I did with the Vita.    It's not that the 32GB card can't hold a lot, it actually has very good storage, the bigger culprit(Especially if you are a Playstation Plus member, and received a LOT of mini's and PS1 games free in 2010/2011, some of which are GOOD to play.   I also have a problem with some of the better Mini's and PS1/PSP games not fitting due to LiveArea Limits.   For example, I really love Puzzle Quest, Dynogems was another really good smaller game.   Not to mention, physical games for the most part, take up less than 100MB, and without patches, take up 2-3MB tops.   Square Enix and Capcom on the PSP were notorious for installing part of the game on the system, to reduce load times, but neither have been very active with the Vita.   Army Corps of Hell is easily skippable.   Street Fighter X Tekken and Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 are amazing fighting games, but only require a small amount of data for patches and DLC.

Using another memory card is annoying because of the changing locations of the icons.    Very annoying especially if you have 100 applications on both cards, and if you're anything like me, double dip on some applications or games.   The LiveArea limits, is also possible to reach with a 16GB card fairly easily, especially if you don't have bigger installs like Final Fantasy 7-9 on your Vita.

Unfortunatly, there will never be a fast way to back up your PSVita by yourself, unless they ever invent a multiuse to usb stick to put in the multiuse slot.   Even backing up to the PC and PS3 are slow.

The second PSVita is nice, however, you cannot play multiplayer games against each other with the same account.   Your wife would have to have her own account, with the same digital content, while you have the same digital content or a physical copy.    Unlike the PS3, you cannot have multiple users(Before the network breach, you could have 5, any content downloaded before then, is still subject to the 5 user limit), this is obviously done so Sony makes more money off you.    Now, if you are a Playstation Plus Subscriber, and have a physical copy of Wipeout 2048, or Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale(Which I know is not the case since you don't own a PS3 with the cross buy feature), you can do that.   I've tested this with Hustle Kings, does not work.    BShornock cannot play BShornock even from 2 different devices.

And honestly, I think Sony would do better in the future, to do like the PSP go, and have 64GB of internal SSD storage, popular on tablets, support HDMI out, because if the games aren't going to support more than 1 player, it's not a PS3 killer), and get rid of the LiveArea limits.   HDMI out and 3G=$399, Wifi=$299, both with 64GB of internal storage.   I can understand why they don't want the storage to be internal, because they want you to be able to hold more games, to buy more memory cards.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Please Subscribe to my Youtube page!
https://www.youtube.com/user/HollywoodShono?feature=mhee
Please use plain text.
Message 61 of 84 (1,106 Views)
Lombax Warrior
251 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 28, 2013

Having owned a Wii U for 2 days, I can clearly see a LOT of missed opportunity by the PSVita.    If Call of Duty and Tekken Tag Tournmament 2 are difficult to play on the gamepad, my opinion about it will change, but so far I am liking the bigger size of the gamepad, even though the buttons are much more easily accessible on the Vita.

I was playing Nintendo Land(Which came free with the deluxe edition), everything playable on the Wii U, could be done from the gamepad(Which is touchscreen, and a lot bigger and more comfortable than the Vita).    Of course, the PSVita had none of this in mind, they want you to buy their own games for the system, and have next to zero support for PS3 games.    I don't see how Remote Playing most PS3 games on the Vita, would kill the PS3, if anything, it would increase the sales for both systems.

I'm picking up New Super Mario Bros U, and Call of Duty Black Ops II in the upcoming days.....from what I hear, Black Ops II allows you to play co-op in full screen on both the gamepad, and the console(With player 1 getting the tablet, of course), and the campaign is supposed to have double screen support.

I understand the PS4 is in development, but they need to take Nintendo seriously, and rip off some of their ideas, because they are working.   I have been a Pro-Playstation fan, and can't stand Xbox, but have always been a Nintendo fan since the original Nintendo and the fact that a lot of their games, do not compete with the PS3.

Please use plain text.
Message 62 of 84 (1,104 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Feb 2, 2013

Internal memory + card slot could be a future option for Sony. Will be interesting to see how they link the Vita use to the new PS4. If they could make games streamable from the PS4 to the Vita...that could be full of possibilities!

Please use plain text.
Message 63 of 84 (1,054 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
251 posts

Feb 6, 2013

The thing I wonder is, will they actually release a new controller that incorporates the same touch features as the Wii U, or will they allow the Playstation Vita to work as the Wii U currently does.

It technically has the ability to do that right now.    The new consoles will be made to run at the new 3840x2160 resolution.   The Wii U uses FWVGA and also runs at a lower resolution than the Vita.   The Vita runs at 960x544(Which is essentially half of 1080p).   All games are meant to be playable at the Analog resolution of 480p on the TV, you obviously get a much clearer picture at 720p, 1080p, 2160p etc.

The Wii U was essentially built from the ground up, the Vita is new technology, so for the PS3 to be able to use that same technology, it has to be programmed into the Vita.   This is also why the gamepad does not work with Wii games.    So for people to be bashing Sony for no full remote play, you have no reason to complain until the PS4 fails to correct this flaw.

New games, if developers weren't so lazy, could do this for any new games released.    But with the Vita being an entirely separate gaming console, Sony does not want to go this route, and that's fine, since it's a console on the go.    The advantage the Vita has, is the fact that it can play games ANYWHERE, whereas the Wii U, you either have to play it from that specific console, or buy a 3DS(Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, does have cross play with the Wii U and 3DS, much like games like Wipeout 2048 and MLB 12 The Show do right now.

The Playstation 4 has time to incorporate ideas into their new console since the Wii U released their eighth generation console first.   The possibilities are endless how they treat the Playstation Vita.   If the Vita allows full Remote Play of Playstation 4 games, also working as a controller, you will see far more Vita's sell.

Nintendo has also successfully gotten dual shoulder buttons to work properly.   I honestly think when they revise the Vita, much like they did the PSP, they should make it bigger, and add in a real analog stick(that you can push in, like the PS3 controller), and give us our L2/R2 back.    The memory being proprietary storage is fine, it's better than built in internally that you cannot replace, like the PSP GO, even though I would like to see Internal memory at some point.

Sony did a poor job with establishing LiveArea limits, preventing people that want to make the Vita, their primary console from doing so, allowing people to dish out more money on memory cards so they don't have to delete/backup their games..   Also messing up people's bubbles so they have to re-create the database, and NOT place a 100kb file on the Vita, remembering the bubble locations, is lazy and poor code.

In many ways, the Vita is revolutionizing gaming, however, there are some things they can do better.

Please use plain text.
Message 64 of 84 (1,018 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
251 posts

Feb 12, 2013

Another thing that would be a nice thing to change.....the party format, to allow greater than 4v4 games in multiplayer.   It's fine for RPG's, it's NOT fine for shooters.

Please use plain text.
Message 65 of 84 (968 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
251 posts

Feb 13, 2013

Main post has been updated!

Please use plain text.
Message 66 of 84 (957 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
21 posts

Re: 64GB, 128GB, 256GB cards, LiveArea Limits(Main Post updated 2-13-13)

Feb 15, 2013

I purchased the 32GB Mem Card. Sadly, Sony is still doing the same thing they did with the PSP. They're making fans pay to have the same level of service Nintendo fans can get for half the cost. Think about it.

Vita (Wi-Fi) - $250
32GB MemCard - $100
Warranty (Optional) - $70

The Vita owner is paying about $350 for a portable system before they tack on a warranty. With the PSP, I bought mine for $200, then had to spend another $60 for a 8GB MemCard. That's $260 while the DSLite was going for $150.

I understand that the technology is better, but Sony needs to be more competative.

Here's a review I wrote on the PSP a few years back. The problem is still the same. Too much $$ to play on a Sony system.

http://www.epinions.com/review/Sony_Psp_3000_Radiant_Red_Need_For_Speed_Undercover_Console/content_5...

Get your Portable ID!
PS Reviews, Cheats, and More....
http://www.youtube.com/user/moralgamer

If you have to resort to demagaugery or personal attacks, you have already lost the argument.
Please use plain text.
Message 67 of 84 (942 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
251 posts

Feb 15, 2013

As far as the memory cards go, I think that they should've included it in all Vita's, and the proper pricing scheme.

4GB=$199($9.99 by itself)

8GB=$209($14.99 by itself)

16GB=$229($29.99 by itself)

32GB=$249($49.99 by itself)

64GB-$299($99.99 by itself)

128GB=$359($159.99 by itself)

I would like to see them actually add features to make 3G worthwhile, even if they did something like Club Nintendo did, 10% off all digital purchases, and $5 credit when you spend $50

Please use plain text.
Message 68 of 84 (939 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Feb 28, 2013

Hello,

First, there ARE 64GB high-speed SD cards. I have one in my Android phone now, and another in my Nintendo 3DS. Secondly, they cost maybe about $50. That's twice the capacity for half the price.

Second, I ONLY play games on my Vita, yet even with games only, and most of them are carts as well, there is plenty of space taken up by DLC, patches, etc. I have some downloaded games too. Believe me, I went WAY PAST 32gb months ago, and that's with most of my games on carts. Some game patches are 1 gig in size alone. Battle Royale for example.

Third, replacing a memory card is not easy. And there is nothing special about them either.

There is no reason Sony doesn't release a larger card, except to screw 'consumers', the same way Microsoft makes it impossible to put your own hard drive in a 360, yet refuses to sell you one larger than 330GB. If nothing else, why not have two memory card slots so I could put two cards in at once? But they really need to release larger and cheaper costing cards. This is a huge problem, and will KILL the Vita unless they change this.

Thank you,

Gino

Please use plain text.
Message 69 of 84 (818 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
251 posts

Feb 28, 2013

GCosta wrote:

Hello,

First, there ARE 64GB high-speed SD cards. I have one in my Android phone now, and another in my Nintendo 3DS. Secondly, they cost maybe about $50. That's twice the capacity for half the price.

Second, I ONLY play games on my Vita, yet even with games only, and most of them are carts as well, there is plenty of space taken up by DLC, patches, etc. I have some downloaded games too. Believe me, I went WAY PAST 32gb months ago, and that's with most of my games on carts. Some game patches are 1 gig in size alone. Battle Royale for example.

Third, replacing a memory card is not easy. And there is nothing special about them either.

There is no reason Sony doesn't release a larger card, except to screw 'consumers', the same way Microsoft makes it impossible to put your own hard drive in a 360, yet refuses to sell you one larger than 330GB. If nothing else, why not have two memory card slots so I could put two cards in at once? But they really need to release larger and cheaper costing cards. This is a huge problem, and will KILL the Vita unless they change this.

Thank you,

Gino

I have a 64GB Micro SD in my phone as well, I believe I paid $43.99 for it off Amazon.

I also spent $400 for a 64GB iPod Touch 5 because my 32GB wasen't enough.

Bought a 32GB Vita card at $100.

Lexar have 128GB SD cards out already, a 3DS's wet dream if you can use a card that big.

Wipeout HD DLC, as well as Call of Duty patches are not small either.

The typical excuse people will give you is:   Nobody will be playing all these games at once.    While this logic is true, what is the point of having to delete things to make room?

Yes, you can use Content Manager to free up space, and this is what Sony wants you to do, and their excuse NOT to release higher capacity cards, however, I'd rather give Sony money for a 64 or 128GB memory card, especially once they fix the LiveArea limits.

Replacing a memory card wouldn't be a big deal, if the icons didn't get moved all over the place.   If I want to play a PSP game or a Mini, I sure as hell do NOT want to be re-arranging bubbles or looking for something for 2 minutes.

As far as Xbox goes, you would think with Digital gaming being much more of a reality, they would release a larger hard drive, or at least let you use more than 16GB on a flash drive or a hard drive to store data on.   Even the Wii U lets you and encourages the use of an external hard drive.   The PS3 pretty much lets you use an external hard drive as an extra source for music, pictures, and videos, and that's fine, especially if you like to show off videos to friends.

The real problem with the Vita, is to get the proper size memory card, you are spending Wii U prices, or an Xbox/PS3 with 2-3 games already.   If Vita's came bundled with a 16GB card at $199($229 for 3G), or more importantly, advertised features that were actually delivered without the use of a hack, it would sell a lot more.

That's not saying the Vita isn't an amazing handheld, because it is, it just needs a couple more high profile shooters and turn based RPG's, like a localized version of Tales of Innocence, even Rainbow Moon would be well received on the Vita.

Please use plain text.
Message 70 of 84 (814 Views)
0 Likes