Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apr 26 2013
By: ChrisInfurna Splicer 80 posts

PS Vita Cross-Play/Save

7 replies 1423 views Edited Apr 26, 2013

I've read other threads pertaining to Vita cross-play and cross-saves. Though, I'm still a bit lost. I get that to cross-save you need a cloud storage and cross-play is essentially multiplayer and/or co-op intertwined between both the consoles. Now, I still question:

1. How do the trophies work? Like, I've seen/read you can have double and then I've read that if you unlock an achievement on one console it will automatically be unlocked on the PS3 version. Though for me, that hasn't happened. So basically, I'm confused as to how this all works still. 

-I've only played Sly Cooper: Thieves in TIme on my PS Vita and that's it. I got the download from the cross-play deal from the PS# version (gave a digital PS Vita download). 

-I've only save/overwrite my updated/most recent updated save over to cloud as it would in the game itself. So when I overwrite the save in the Vita, I do the same over Cloud. 

2. If I were to load the save on my PS3, would the trophies automatically pop or would I have to work for 'em again. Then if they happen to do so, would the times that they were earned be the same as the times they were earned on the Vita...or no?

Also, I've a question about cross-play specifically. Now, if I were to play, Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale on my Vita and cross-play it  (with the PS3, of course):

1.Would my save be sent automatically to the PS3, including the trophies? Or would it act normally, like the progress on the Vita will stay on the Vita and won't be updated as if it was played on the PS3?

Thanks. 

Killzone-Shadow-Fall-Edit
Message 1 of 8 (1,423 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11258 posts

Re: PS Vita Cross-Play/Save

Apr 26, 2013

Only certain games support Cross-Save. To get it to work, all you need is a copy of each version of the game. The cloud-saving is built in. For Sly Cooper, I believe the games share a trophy list, meaning when the latest save-data is downloaded from the cloud to the game, all trophies associated with that save should be unlocked. 

I don't entirely understand your Allstars question. Cross-playing it with your PS3, using the same PSN accounts on both consoles, is not possible. Your save data is linked to your PSN ID, so whatever console you played on most recently would have the latest save data.

I'm just curious: What was stopping you frrom trying these out yourself? 

R.I.P. Off-Topic.                  "Eerrrm."   -BRIT-KO, on the topic of 'johngie'.
04/09/2014 - Never Forget

Message 2 of 8 (1,407 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
14845 posts

Apr 26, 2013

You have a few misconceptions about how Cross-Play and Cross-Save work, how trophies work, and the difference between the Playstation Plus "cloud", and the Cross-Save Cloud.  I'll try to sort it out for you.

The PS3 and Vita versions of a Cross-play or Cross-save game are different games.  Games the support Cross-Save generally have a common trophy set between the PS3 and Vita versions, although there may be some trophies that are unique to one version.  Cross-Play games can have completely different trophy sets for the two versions.  For Cross-Play, which just means that PS3 and Vita users can play together online, there is no coordination of trophies at all.  If you are playing on a Vita, then you can only earn the Vita version's trophies.  If you are playing on a PS3, then you can only earn the PS3 version's trophies. 

Trophies are not part of the game save data. If you earn a trophy, you still keep the trophy even if you don't save your game after that. Trophies are managed in the Trophy Collection of each console, separately from save data.  The only place the trophies ever move is between the Trophy Collection on the console, and your PSN profile online.  Cross-Save has nothing to do with trophies.  You can earn the same trophy on multiple consoles if you don't synchronize your Trophy Collection with the server regularly, but a given trophy will only be added to your PSN online profile one time, no matter how many consoles you play the game on.  If you earn the trophy on one console, and synchronize the console's trophy collection with PSN; then you can have the trophy on any other console by synchronizing its Trophy Collection with PSN. You never have to earn that trophy again once it is in your PSN online profile. Downloading Cross-Save data within the game does not synchronize the Trophy Collection, and does not update trophies on the console.  You have to do that yourself in the Trophy Collection.

The cloud storage used by Cross-Save games is completely separate from Playstation Plus online storage, and requires no subscription.  The save data is kept on the game servers, and can only be accessed from within the game. You can't access Vita online storage from a PS3, and you can't access PS3 online storage from a Vita, so online storage would not work for Cross-Save. Save data is not automatically sent to the cloud in Cross-Save games.  That is an online storage feature.  You have to manually upload and download save data from the Cross-Save cloud.

By the way, when you buy a PS3 game, and get the Vita version for free, that is Cross-Buy, not Cross-Play.

GKP
Message 3 of 8 (1,401 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
80 posts

Apr 26, 2013

gkpama00 wrote:

You have a few misconceptions about how Cross-Play and Cross-Save work, how trophies work, and the difference between the Playstation Plus "cloud", and the Cross-Save Cloud.  I'll try to sort it out for you.

The PS3 and Vita versions of a Cross-play or Cross-save game are different games.  Games the support Cross-Save generally have a common trophy set between the PS3 and Vita versions, although there may be some trophies that are unique to one version.  Cross-Play games can have completely different trophy sets for the two versions.  For Cross-Play, which just means that PS3 and Vita users can play together online, there is no coordination of trophies at all.  If you are playing on a Vita, then you can only earn the Vita version's trophies.  If you are playing on a PS3, then you can only earn the PS3 version's trophies. 

Trophies are not part of the game save data. If you earn a trophy, you still keep the trophy even if you don't save your game after that. Trophies are managed in the Trophy Collection of each console, separately from save data.  The only place the trophies ever move is between the Trophy Collection on the console, and your PSN profile online.  Cross-Save has nothing to do with trophies.  You can earn the same trophy on multiple consoles if you don't synchronize your Trophy Collection with the server regularly, but a given trophy will only be added to your PSN online profile one time, no matter how many consoles you play the game on.  If you earn the trophy on one console, and synchronize the console's trophy collection with PSN; then you can have the trophy on any other console by synchronizing its Trophy Collection with PSN. You never have to earn that trophy again once it is in your PSN online profile. Downloading Cross-Save data within the game does not synchronize the Trophy Collection, and does not update trophies on the console.  You have to do that yourself in the Trophy Collection.

The cloud storage used by Cross-Save games is completely separate from Playstation Plus online storage, and requires no subscription.  The save data is kept on the game servers, and can only be accessed from within the game. You can't access Vita online storage from a PS3, and you can't access PS3 online storage from a Vita, so online storage would not work for Cross-Save. Save data is not automatically sent to the cloud in Cross-Save games.  That is an online storage feature.  You have to manually upload and download save data from the Cross-Save cloud.

By the way, when you buy a PS3 game, and get the Vita version for free, that is Cross-Buy, not Cross-Play.

Oh, ok. Thanks. :smileyhappy:

Message 4 of 8 (1,395 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
80 posts

Apr 26, 2013

johngie wrote:

I just got a Vita, so I'm still trying to understand some things, specifically the cloud save, cross play, etc. Now, it's cleared up though. 

Message 5 of 8 (1,394 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11161 posts

Apr 26, 2013

gkpama00 wrote:

I'm not entirely sure I'm reading you right or not. It sounds llike you're saying you can't unlock a Trophy in the Vita version of the game if you unlock it on the PS 3 and transfer the data over.

The only game I have bought that has the cross save function is Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time. There are 2 separate Trophy lists for it. The Trophies are identical. I would play mostly on my PS 3, so often I would earn the Trophies first on my PS 3. I would then upload the save to the cloud and download on my Vita, unlocking the same Trophies. I have 2 Platnium Trophies in my Trophy Profile for Sly Cooper Thieves in Time.

Message 6 of 8 (1,377 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11258 posts

Apr 26, 2013

ChrisInfurna wrote:

johngie wrote:

I just got a Vita, so I'm still trying to understand some things, specifically the cloud save, cross play, etc. Now, it's cleared up though. 

Enjoy your Vita!

R.I.P. Off-Topic.                  "Eerrrm."   -BRIT-KO, on the topic of 'johngie'.
04/09/2014 - Never Forget

Message 7 of 8 (1,373 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
8294 posts

Apr 27, 2013

PapaWarlock wrote:

gkpama00 wrote:

I'm not entirely sure I'm reading you right or not. It sounds llike you're saying you can't unlock a Trophy in the Vita version of the game if you unlock it on the PS 3 and transfer the data over.

The only game I have bought that has the cross save function is Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time. There are 2 separate Trophy lists for it. The Trophies are identical. I would play mostly on my PS 3, so often I would earn the Trophies first on my PS 3. I would then upload the save to the cloud and download on my Vita, unlocking the same Trophies. I have 2 Platnium Trophies in my Trophy Profile for Sly Cooper Thieves in Time.

It depends on how the developers set up the trophies.  According to Sanzaru, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time was supposed to be a shared, single trophy list, but somehow, that didn't translate to reality and it turned out to be two separate trophy lists.

Guacamelee, on the other hand, is a cross-buy/cross-save title, that does, in fact, have a shared, single trophy list.  As does Knytt Underground.

Message 8 of 8 (1,363 Views)
0 Likes