Apr 22 2013
By: YogurtStorm I Only Post Everything 993 posts

getting a new(er) Vita

6 replies 113 views Edited Apr 22, 2013
hi! I am about to get a new vita. Trading my Black model for a White model.

If we both unmatch our PSN accounts from our vita's AND we keep our respective cards, can we put our cards back in our newly-traded Vita's, assign our accounts to our new vitas and keep doing our things from where we left off?

thanks Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 7 (113 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
4062 posts

Re: getting a new(er) Vita

Apr 22, 2013

This might work, just take your card out, deactive the older PS Vita. Then on the newer PS Vita put it back to Factory, sign in with your PSN ID and then put your card in. It SHOULD  work. SHOULD, but if it doesn't, I sure hope you do have a backup to work with. Smiley Happy

You really should have BACKED UP your present PS Vita (Content Manager to PS3 or PC)

Then you take your memory card out of the PS Vita.

THEN you de-activate your present PS Vita, back to factory.

(You can then use Content Manager to put your Backup onto the same PS Vita or another one.)

You can do all of that on both PS Vita's then you can use the newer PS Vita, start it up, setup your PSN ID, get to the home screen, choose Content Manager, and connect to where you back up is, and restore your PS Vita.

Now as for your card, the back up has the stuff off of it, so you can just put the card in and restore, or whatever. See the thing about it is that the card is linked to one specific account so it should work to put it in after, but if it doesn't then the full restore from backup should replace the content entirely on your card.

-------

I say this with some cofusion since I can't find excact info to point you to about it, and my true experience with it was using backup to restore my PS Vita with a larger new card. So I wasn't worried about wiping my card, I had an empty card in my PS Vita when I Restored my backup.

So if you have done a satisfactory backup, you can decide what to do, try the restore without the card, put the card in after that, see if that works. If not you can format the card and restore again with the card in.

Sounds very complicated. --- it's not really that complicated when doing it.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 7 (109 Views)
I Only Post Everything
993 posts

Apr 23, 2013
Thanks Crazy-Maizy :-)

I will go ahead and try my luck with my method. I ASSUME that since the mem cards are linked to PSN accounts (rather than the actual System), they should tunction if we reassign our PSN ID's thank you!
Message 3 of 7 (102 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10701 posts

Apr 23, 2013

YogurtStorm wrote:
Thanks Crazy-Maizy :-)

I will go ahead and try my luck with my method. I ASSUME that since the mem cards are linked to PSN accounts (rather than the actual System), they should tunction if we reassign our PSN ID's thank you!

I don't know of anyone that has tested this, but it should work.  PS3 hard drives are linked to the PS3 that created the data, I'm not sure the same thing would happen with an easily swappable memory card.

Message 4 of 7 (100 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
27127 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 23, 2013

You can certainly back up the data from your current Vita to a PC or PS3, and then restore it to any new Vita that you buy.  The white Vita is no different than the black ones, except for the case color.  Sony doesn't state whether swapping memory cards between different Vitas will work.  It isn't guaranteed to, but I seem to recall that at least one person with two Vitas tried it, and it did appear to work.

GKP
Message 5 of 7 (99 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
993 posts

Apr 23, 2013
FOR ANY INTERESTED PARTIES:

It worked without a hitch ! Smiley Happy we backed up in case, but it was absolutely unnecessary if following the steps:

1. Close Vita. Remove Card
2. "Factory Reset" Vita
3. Tie PsN account to New Vita
4. When at menu, close Vita, pop in your mem Card, power on Vita and BAM! Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 7 (89 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4062 posts

Apr 23, 2013

YogurtStorm wrote:
FOR ANY INTERESTED PARTIES:

It worked without a hitch ! Smiley Happy we backed up in case, but it was absolutely unnecessary if following the steps:

1. Close Vita. Remove Card
2. "Factory Reset" Vita
3. Tie PsN account to New Vita
4. When at menu, close Vita, pop in your mem Card, power on Vita and BAM! Smiley Happy

So glad to hear it worked for you! 

And now that you did backup, you know how to do it, and I'd advise you to backup every so often, just in case in the future something happens ... 

Message 7 of 7 (76 Views)
0 Likes