May 21 2013
By: OzDaddy62 PlayStation MVP 3195 posts

Fast & Furious Showdown (first drive from Oz)

[ Edited ]
5 replies 123 views Edited May 24, 2013

I found myself in possession of the new Fast & Furious Showdown game today, so why not, time to start it up and give it a whirl.  Just remember, everything written below is just my opinion, for whatever it's worth to you.

Now, if all you expect is an arcade crash and bash racer with basic but adequate graphics, and you are a fan of the film franchise, then you might have some fun with this game.  Don't go in with any high expectations other to have a bit of fun and a few laughs.  If you expect more from a racing game, like actual driving physics and anything resembling simulation, then all I will say is that I've played this game so you don't have to!

Side note, there's just one controller layout, no option to use a wheel (as if), and if you have a wheel plugged in then unplug it or your controller may not function as it should.

It's priced cheaper than most top line games, so there's a little tip.

Anyway, the game has 30 missions, 24 side challenges, and 50 trophies.  The game borrows from story lines and locations used in the film franchise, so those who have watched the movies will start to recognize them as you play through.  Cut scenes introduce each mission and the story (whatever it is and if you care).  I've done the first three missions, the first a timed exercise in destruction in Moscow, the second involved two cars towing a safe through the streets of Rio, you know just like you would if you had the chance, and the third was the first actual race in the game, along an LA freeway.  Each mission has a passing level, and secondary achievements that range from avoiding traffic to destroying so many bus shelters and all sorts of stuff in between.  Completing one mission unlocks the next.   Missions can be done over and over again to better your completion level and chase the secondary achievements.

Two side challenges have been completed, the first a speed trap test, with two combined times, the second an exercise in surviving the bad guys chasing you around the streets.  In some parts, like this second challenge, you get to choose if you want to be the driver or the gunman hanging out the window shooting at the bad guys, so the racing part goes out the window ( so to speak) there!   If you choose co-op mode, one of you gets to drive, the other gets to shoot and you can switch mid-event.  More challenges unlock as you go along.  Each challenge has a Bronze, Silver and Gold completion level

There is no online racing component, but you can judge yourself against the world and your friends on the leaderboards.  As of writing, remarkably, I hold the number one spot on the world ranking for the Buenes Aires Survival with a time of 12:30:94.  Come and get me guys!  :smileyhappy:

As you progress, XP are earned which unlock things like paint, rims, decals and performance mods, of which you can equip three at a time.  The leaderboard lets you see what mods everybody used.

The game indicates there are Bonuses to be won and cheat codes to be used but I haven''t come across those yet.

That's as far as I've gotten so far.  I'll add more as I progress, just in case anybody's interested  :smileyvery-happy:, but once Grid 2 arrives in a week, my time in this game might just be for an occasional bash and crash diversion and a few giggles.

If you play it, tell us what you think, but please, whether you like it or not, keep it friendly and informative.

See you on the track.

Oz

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 6 (123 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8666 posts

Re: Fast & Furious Showdown (first drive from Oz)

May 23, 2013
I am a big fan of the movies, so will def be picking this up.

~Fighting the Good Fight~
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 6 (97 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3195 posts

May 24, 2013

Played this a bit more.  Not a lot of actual racing in the next few missions, but I did learn how to hijack a truck by leaping from a moving vehicle, destroy enemy cars while driving a large tanker and also shoot at the real bad guys while flying in a helicopter.  All handy skills to have. :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 6 (87 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8666 posts

May 24, 2013
is it anything like NFS the run? That was about as close as I have got to a F&F game.

Hopefully this will drop in price, I'd love to pick up a physical copy from amazon for ~$10 :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 6 (84 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3195 posts

May 24, 2013

Well I did play The Run a while ago, so my recollection might be a bit rough around the edges.  In terms of overall quality, graphically etc.,The Run is better, but then F&F Showdown is a cheaper game.   Some similar concepts, as in get to the end of the event before the bad guys get you.  

You don't get the same hyperspeed effect that shows up in some NFS games.  When looking at the screen in F&F Showdown, the relative speed is believable.

As suggested, it's good for a bit of fun crashing about, and with missions and challenges that can be completed in little time, it's a game you can throw in for half an hour here and there.

If this was Christmas, I 'd say F&F Showdown was a good stocking stuffer, but maybe not the big present under the tree, if you know what I mean.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 6 (82 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8666 posts

May 24, 2013
awesome. thanks for the explanation Oz.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 6 (79 Views)
0 Likes