Apr 25 2013
By: TheSageStone420 First Son 5 posts

GT5 Hosting and Bandwidth Cap

3 replies 103 views Edited Apr 25, 2013

I have a pretty simple question to those that might know.  A while back I had Comcast Cable and incurred significant overages by hosting GT5 lobbies with my own tracks for grip and drifting. I definitely take pride in my courses as I put time into making them really challenging yet intuitive and fun. 

For a while I was using Time Warner and had no such Cap on my bandwidth and could freely host day in and day out without issue. But now I'm using AT&T (Only provider my apt. allows) and they have a similar bandwidth cap as Comcast. 250gb monthly with ridiculous overages. 

My question is this, "Am I still able to host without worrying about overages? What's the best way to share bandwidth with all my lobby players? Should I use Fixed Host, or Non Fixed Host?"

I think I was using Fixed Host back when I was on Comcast, but if I use NON Fixed Host...will that prevent an overactive bandwidth eating monster?! 

Thanks in advance. 

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 4 (103 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
538 posts

Re: GT5 Hosting and Bandwidth Cap

Apr 25, 2013

If you have a 250GB per month data cap, you can leave your PS3 on all the time while hosting a room and not be anywhere close to your cap.   I highly doubt you went over because of a game more than likely it was due to netflix/youtube or downloading torrents.   That's a serious amount of data, hosting a room on GT5 for a month  goes nowhere near 1/4 of that.  

The only thing that can help you with your overages would be to find the real reason it happened.   There's no way possible GT5 is the reason you went over 250GBs a month.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 4 (98 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Apr 25, 2013

thanks for the info. It could have been a mixture of Youtube, Torrents, Netflix, GT5 and WoW I guess. It was only the one time and it was only while hosting GT5. It's possible my router got hacked too. That was a pretty shady neighborhood with a bunch of punk a** little teenagers who always got into trouble. I wouldn't be surprised if they hacked my router. I'll monitor my bandwidth on my account and host some games this week and see. Thanks for the information. Good to know GT5 isn't a bandwidth hog. 

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 4 (96 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
40752 posts

Apr 26, 2013

Racing games typically use tiny amounts of data.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 4 (89 Views)
0 Likes