Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 20 2013
By: Brrnout PlayStation MVP 5698 posts

What Would you Define as a Next Generation Racing Game?

8 replies 277 views Edited Mar 20, 2013

So with the announcement of the PlayStation 4 and Driveclub I started wondering what people would consider a next generation racing game. Especially now with graphics getting close to the end of the rope, what would you expect in a game to stand out as next gen quality?

Personally: graphics are not really needed as games are already amazing. Sure, Driveclub looks jaw dropping, but that's not really what I will be looking for. More integration of the toys that the PS4 will bring. Sure it will have the share button, but what can a dev do with that? I guess only time will tell.

For me to call it a next gen racer I would expect better integration of online and community and far deeper gameplay.

Cheers, Brrnout

PS MVPs: Motivated. Vigilant. Passionate.
Proud to be an MVP and serving our community since June 2010
Message 1 of 9 (277 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
42255 posts

Re: What Would you Define as a Next Generation Racing Game?

Mar 21, 2013

Anyone who drove any of the famous PS2 racing games or sims can prove that jaw-dropping graphics aren't needed to have a good game or to have fun. We will not be visiting that era again, so graphics are not a problem. I don't need to see the nap of the cloth seats and, quite frankly, I would be disappointed to see any effort put towards that kind of nonsense vs other necessary things, such as good menu design, good coms, flawless hosting, and better game technology.

What we really need is a big expansion beyond the 8-12-16 car-max limitations that console sims seem to always be governed by. The network has to be improved to the level that SONY promised the PS4 would get. If the console sims can't host as many drivers as some PC sims, then something will be very, very wrong. Yes, the PC sims have their problems, too, but surely a good network can host more drivers at once.

Project CARS will improve the sim technology within the PS3's limitations, so it will be challenging for them to do much with the upcoming release, but they are showing that better quality PS4 sims are on the horizon.

Message 2 of 9 (270 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6484 posts

Mar 25, 2013

MastrGT wrote:

Anyone who drove any of the famous PS2 racing games or sims can prove that jaw-dropping graphics aren't needed to have a good game or to have fun. We will not be visiting that era again, so graphics are not a problem. I don't need to see the nap of the cloth seats and, quite frankly, I would be disappointed to see any effort put towards that kind of nonsense vs other necessary things, such as good menu design, good coms, flawless hosting, and better game technology.

What we really need is a big expansion beyond the 8-12-16 car-max limitations that console sims seem to always be governed by. The network has to be improved to the level that SONY promised the PS4 would get. If the console sims can't host as many drivers as some PC sims, then something will be very, very wrong. Yes, the PC sims have their problems, too, but surely a good network can host more drivers at once.

Project CARS will improve the sim technology within the PS3's limitations, so it will be challenging for them to do much with the upcoming release, but they are showing that better quality PS4 sims are on the horizon.

I agree with you,  24, 32 to  42 plyer on  course is hard to do, but  it has to happen

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 3 of 9 (247 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3472 posts

Apr 2, 2013

I think for me next gen would be a lot more interactivity with the track.  Motorstorm apocalypse for instance had some intereseting elements, if kind of a boring setting, in having dynamic tracks.  

But it didn't take it nearly far enough.  It was mostly just window dressing.  When driving through a tornado, or hurricane, or whatever it was I kept hoping some huge wave would come crashing over the course onto your car, which would drastically change the track with debris and surging water everywhere.   There was another course called rising waters or something like that.  The course did change with water but felt like there was a disconect.  There randomly was water when there wasn't before.  I think it would be a lot more fun to try and outrace, by racing off onto higher ground, a flood caused by a tsunami, where water would be rising around you and nipping at your tires.   

Having all of the events affect the cars control and steering would of course be important as well.  If your driving in a thunder storm with a high wind and rain, you should be able to feel the wind pushing your car around.  

Those types of things would make a next gen racing game for me.  Truly dynamic tracks.  Whether it is motorstorm insanity, or a fantasy racing game where you have to drive inbetween unicorns shooting rainbows out of their horns, or something more serious like Gran turismo, dynamic tracks that have much more of an impact that what we've seen so far.

Yes! No! wait...what was the question again?

Message 4 of 9 (215 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Apr 10, 2013

Gran turismo handling and realism, with free-roam in a massive open world. Possible world travel (track) mode and 1000+ different CARS not 1000 different trim-levels of 300 cars (shakes fist at polyphony)

Maybe real-world audio sampling to get 100% accurate car sounds, the sounds in gran turismo are to say the least sub-par.

Performance customization using real manufacturers to tune say; size of turbo, brand and type of BOV, tire manufacturer, body mods and materials for those mods which would change weight\durability of the car, different exhausts for different sound ie. borla duals on a z06 sound different than flowmaster 40's on a z06

More extensive interior modifications such as racing seat brands\materials to again affect the weight, carbon dash, race displays etc.

More in-depth paint/graphics wizard, something along the lines of a midnight club/need for speed layout

Just me spitballing ideas.

Message 5 of 9 (193 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
5698 posts

Apr 11, 2013

Gcustoms_ wrote:

Gran turismo handling and realism, with free-roam in a massive open world. Possible world travel (track) mode and 1000+ different CARS not 1000 different trim-levels of 300 cars (shakes fist at polyphony)

Maybe real-world audio sampling to get 100% accurate car sounds, the sounds in gran turismo are to say the least sub-par.

Performance customization using real manufacturers to tune say; size of turbo, brand and type of BOV, tire manufacturer, body mods and materials for those mods which would change weight\durability of the car, different exhausts for different sound ie. borla duals on a z06 sound different than flowmaster 40's on a z06

More extensive interior modifications such as racing seat brands\materials to again affect the weight, carbon dash, race displays etc.

More in-depth paint/graphics wizard, something along the lines of a midnight club/need for speed layout

Just me spitballing ideas.

It's actually funny cause despite people complaining I would always take 1000 roughly designed cars over 300 perfectly designed cars.

Cheers, Brrnout

Message 6 of 9 (181 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
122 posts

Apr 23, 2013

Brrnout wrote:

So with the announcement of the PlayStation 4 and Driveclub I started wondering what people would consider a next generation racing game. Especially now with graphics getting close to the end of the rope, what would you expect in a game to stand out as next gen quality?

Personally: graphics are not really needed as games are already amazing. Sure, Driveclub looks jaw dropping, but that's not really what I will be looking for. More integration of the toys that the PS4 will bring. Sure it will have the share button, but what can a dev do with that? I guess only time will tell.

For me to call it a next gen racer I would expect better integration of online and community and far deeper gameplay.

Cheers, Brrnout

Good to see you still active after all these years Brrnout!! 

Driveclub is definitely impressive visually. I LOVE the idea of viewing your car in First Person and being able to enter that car. The integration with mobile devices and spectating features are great too. However, what followed didn't impress me at all. 

The game is still heavily menu based. Even in the demo, we say several features tucked away in an intrusive menu, and this comes at a time long after Criterion has been able to incorporate most social features in a pop up menu (with 1/20th the amount of RAM).

I'm also not crazy about the fact that the first person perspective is in, but the open city concept is not.

Now, don't get me wrong. Good tracks help to make a good racing game. Especially ones with authentic tracks and vehicles available. But, with the power available to developers next gen, those two concepts should be merged (IMO), and Driveclub hurts the genre more than it helps. The reason being, those quality models will now become standard, and to accomplish that will sacrifice other content that can help make in the immersion of the experience. Here's some things I'd like to see. It may be a pipe dream, but it's what I would personally love to see...

1. First-Person perspective with a home base (maybe even an actual home) where you can socialize with friends and have your in-game trophies displayed.
2. An extremely deep and authentic tuning experience, with authentic parts and upgrades, car dealerships, garages, and more available in an open city you physicaaly drive through from your base location in the city.
3. Vehicle damage that's realistic and helped along by real world physics is a must.
4. To add to #2, Tracks should be a destination.
5. Creating a club and driving in teams should be optional, not mandatory. Have faith that something like that will occur naturally.
6. Over one thousand cars should be made available (ie: Gran Turismo at its peak) including older and used models.

7. Compatibility with racing wheels (including G27) <--- It's a real shame that Logitech dropped out of this market.

8. NPC's in an open world to provide challenges and races for the single player experience.

^ That's just off the top of my head. But, I'm sure you get the picture that I expect far too much. LOL! 

Message 7 of 9 (149 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
1586 posts

Apr 24, 2013
I was thinking something like a massive multiplier online racing title. Of course it will have to look beautiful, but it will also have to seem realistic. To me that is the logical next step for the next gen.
 photo 2013_Forum_Sig.jpg
Message 8 of 9 (144 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
5698 posts

Apr 30, 2013

CyberOcelot wrote:

Brrnout wrote:

Cheers, Brrnout

Good to see you still active after all these years Brrnout!! 

Driveclub is definitely impressive visually. I LOVE the idea of viewing your car in First Person and being able to enter that car. The integration with mobile devices and spectating features are great too. However, what followed didn't impress me at all. 

The game is still heavily menu based. Even in the demo, we say several features tucked away in an intrusive menu, and this comes at a time long after Criterion has been able to incorporate most social features in a pop up menu (with 1/20th the amount of RAM).

I'm also not crazy about the fact that the first person perspective is in, but the open city concept is not.

Now, don't get me wrong. Good tracks help to make a good racing game. Especially ones with authentic tracks and vehicles available. But, with the power available to developers next gen, those two concepts should be merged (IMO), and Driveclub hurts the genre more than it helps. The reason being, those quality models will now become standard, and to accomplish that will sacrifice other content that can help make in the immersion of the experience. Here's some things I'd like to see. It may be a pipe dream, but it's what I would personally love to see...

1. First-Person perspective with a home base (maybe even an actual home) where you can socialize with friends and have your in-game trophies displayed.
2. An extremely deep and authentic tuning experience, with authentic parts and upgrades, car dealerships, garages, and more available in an open city you physically drive through from your base location in the city.
3. Vehicle damage that's realistic and helped along by real world physics is a must.
4. To add to #2, Tracks should be a destination.
5. Creating a club and driving in teams should be optional, not mandatory. Have faith that something like that will occur naturally.
6. Over one thousand cars should be made available (ie: Gran Turismo at its peak) including older and used models.

7. Compatibility with racing wheels (including G27) <--- It's a real shame that Logitech dropped out of this market.

8. NPC's in an open world to provide challenges and races for the single player experience.

^ That's just off the top of my head. But, I'm sure you get the picture that I expect far too much. LOL! 

First off thanks for the greeting :smileyhappy:

Most of the features you mention were found in Test Drive Unlimited 2 and as we know that was not a very good game. Perhaps because it simply tried to do to much. I like realism, but I never cared the most about driving to a home and buying furniture for that home. I get a driving game to drive, not to play a home decorating simulator. 

At this point I don't know what to make of Drive Club. It doesn't seem the freshest of ideas, but doesn't look utterly old either. There is however a lot of room to screw up. Test Drive Unlimited 2 relayed way to much on online to run its game and released with crippling servers. I can only hope that Sony is not that stupid. DRM has never proved to work and my hope is that Sony will not follow Microsoft's suicide route of an always online new gen console. I am also relaying on the sanity from Evolution Studios to prevent this on Drive Club. All their games have been solid which is why I am not to worried.

As for authentic content such as damage, tracks and parts: I am not to sure about the damage as most games with high end cars have danced around the concept of full damage models; and for a reason. Most manufacturer do not like the idea of seeing their vehicles smashed to a 1000 bits on a screen; even if it is a digital one. As for tracks and parts: I see no need in this being another Gran Turismo, it seems another one may be just around the corner so it would not make sense to make two similar games and then release around the same time frame. That would simply be foolish. So we must presume that it will not be very similar to GT6, which would make sense.

Cheers, Brrnout

Message 9 of 9 (121 Views)
0 Likes