Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apr 17 2013
By: GrayGargoyle PlayStation MVP 11172 posts

Will there ever again be a compelling racing title?

3 replies 143 views Edited Apr 17, 2013

I'm not saying there already aren't quality racing games out there, but for me personally the racing genre hasn't been able to shift my gears into drive toward wanting something from it. Of all the racing games seen over these last years nothing really stands out anymore. Nothing really excites me.

The last PlayStation 3 racer I've played was Split/Second back in 2010, and before that I think was 2007's MotorStorm. MotorStorm is really the only racing game I've fully wanted to play in this generation. Compared to Drive Club from the same team at Evolution, I look at the game and think of it as just some generic driving game where club members come to compete. The thought of the game being something original and intriguing just isn't there.

Over the years my feelings toward kart racers has also waned. The last I bought and played was Mario Kart DS on the Nintendo DS. Mario Kart 3DS looked like more of the same... with paragliders. I didn't want it for that reason. I haven't wanted LittleBigPlanet Karting either. Do I really desire a knock-off of ModNation Racers that was already a game that didn't have much attraction?

Simulation racing has never really done it for me. Arcade and kart-style racing has been the best of where it's at. However, not all types of these games are able to sell me on the product. Grid 2 is part of a franchise that doesn't spark any candles, for starters. In watching the preview trailers, what I'm seeing is realistic cars driving around a track. What's so great about that?

Basically though I'm wondering if there will ever be something, anything, that will regenerate the charge to put my foot down to the pedal and once again want a drive around the racing block? It's been years since I've last stepped out of the car and am afraid there will never come a time when there will be a racing game that I can imagine would rev my engine.

Message 1 of 4 (143 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
25164 posts

Re: Will there ever again be a compelling racing title?

Apr 17, 2013

GrayGargoyle wrote:

I'm not saying there already aren't quality racing games out there, but for me personally the racing genre hasn't been able to shift my gears into drive toward wanting something from it. Of all the racing games seen over these last years nothing really stands out anymore. Nothing really excites me.

The last PlayStation 3 racer I've played was Split/Second back in 2010, and before that I think was 2007's MotorStorm. MotorStorm is really the only racing game I've fully wanted to play in this generation. Compared to Drive Club from the same team at Evolution, I look at the game and think of it as just some generic driving game where club members come to compete. The thought of the game being something original and intriguing just isn't there.

Over the years my feelings toward kart racers has also waned. The last I bought and played was Mario Kart DS on the Nintendo DS. Mario Kart 3DS looked like more of the same... with paragliders. I didn't want it for that reason. I haven't wanted LittleBigPlanet Karting either. Do I really desire a knock-off of ModNation Racers that was already a game that didn't have much attraction?

Simulation racing has never really done it for me. Arcade and kart-style racing has been the best of where it's at. However, not all types of these games are able to sell me on the product. Grid 2 is part of a franchise that doesn't spark any candles, for starters. In watching the preview trailers, what I'm seeing is realistic cars driving around a track. What's so great about that?

Basically though I'm wondering if there will ever be something, anything, that will regenerate the charge to put my foot down to the pedal and once again want a drive around the racing block? It's been years since I've last stepped out of the car and am afraid there will never come a time when there will be a racing game that I can imagine would rev my engine.

See, here's the thing; there's a lot of different kinds of racing. Now, when I say racing I mean actual RACING. There's point to point rallying, touring cars, classic rallying, drag racing, NASCAR, Indy car, Formula 1, GT, Can Am, hillclimb, etc. "Arcade/Kart" isn't going to appeal to really racing enthusiasts, and would be a smaller part of any racing type of game. The Grid series is actually interesting, and because it invovles a lot of different discinplines and it does them very well. It lies somewhere between simulation and arcade. Split/Second is not what I'd call a "racing" game. It's more of an action game. 

To appreciate racing you kind of have to be a car guy. If you appreciate automotive engineering, then racing games are going to appeal to you more. My favorite discipline is actually touring cars and classics. I find it interesting because the engines are capped at 2 liters, and they start out as stock production cars. The racing isn't as fast, but it's more competitive and it relies more on driver skill than sheer horsepower.

My suggestion is to give GRID a try. Yeah, it may look boring, but when you're in a heated battle for position, you'd be surprised how focused you become. And it's a good introduction to many different types of racing that you may not be familiar with. If you're a PC user, you can get Race On fairly cheap. It's also a great introduction to touring car racing.

Message 2 of 4 (138 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
538 posts

Apr 18, 2013

It's on the way...  Project CARS

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 3 of 4 (123 Views)
MVP Support
41946 posts

Apr 24, 2013

GrayGargoyle wrote:

There are simulation racing "games" and then there is everything else. You are either interested in the challenges simulation offers or you are not. There really isn't much that can be done about that. At least I can't see anything breaking down that barrier in the near future.

The fun of sim racing comes from the challenges of reality and from the communities that support the games, so if this does not interest you, if you just want to escape reality when playing games rather than create art in your driving, then I don't see simulations helping you stay entertained.

However, if simulation does turn your crank, the PlayStation platform is still a great place to be. If you look closely, we  at least can get enough variety to keep us happy or content. What we get may not be the most up-to-date, complete or accurate compared to, say, some PC titles, but they are good at what they can offer within the PS3's many limitations. Hopefully, the PS4 will change that, too.

Message 4 of 4 (97 Views)
0 Likes