Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 02 2009
By: aquastorm I Only Post Everything 1185 posts

RE5 = FAIL?

27 replies 7 views Edited Feb 2, 2009

I've been playing RE games since the very first one way back since the first one orginally came out and it seems to me like Capcom has forgotten what made RE so cool with that first one.  The controls were always bad but one thing I noticed about the demo for 5 is how claustorphobic it feels your partner constantly is in your way and then the way the camera is set up with all of the close quarters rooms/ hallways the whole thing felt WAY too confining.  Secondly the game seems to be so dumbed down where it's just wave after wave of zombies and nothing else really to speak of in the demo atleast. Capcom needs to get back to what made RE so cool in first place which was the atmosphere and puzzles.  RE 1 and 2 were RE at it's best and Capcom would be wise to go back to those games and study them and go from there.  

Message Edited by aquastorm on 02-02-2009 02:45 PM
Message 1 of 28 (7 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1451 posts

Re: RE5 = FAIL?

Feb 2, 2009
Ding ding ding ding ding!!! We have a winner!!! You my friend have just earned yourself 1000 points to do what you wish with.
">
Message 2 of 28 (7 Views)
Splicer
46 posts

Feb 2, 2009

i guess you haven't played RE 4 then, have you? after RE 3 and CV Capcom decided it was time for something new. the result was RE 4 which was a huge success. now they're sticking with it the same way they stuck with the original RE mechanics for 5 games (RE, RE 2, RE 3, RE CV, RE 0). i fail to to discover any fail in that.

i take it you'll not buy RE 5, then.

Message 3 of 28 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
467 posts

Feb 2, 2009
yes seriously if u dont like it dont buy it...it will make things much easier for me 2 finde a decent co-op player...WOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO
PS3 games: KILLZONE 2... RESIDENT EVIL 5... prince of persia... dead space... dynasty warriors 6... Fifa 09... stuntman ignition... gta 4... naruto ultimate ninja storm... orange box... metal gear solid 4... little big planet... army of two... lost planet... soul calibur 4... burnout pradise... warhawk... wipeout hd... pain... age of booty... joint strike 1945... pixeljunk: monsters... super street fighter 2 turbo hd remix...linger in shadows... crash commandos... mortal kombat 2... street fighter alpha... battlefield 1945... crash bandicot... fat princes
Message 4 of 28 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5715 posts

Feb 2, 2009
I understand where you's are coming from ^ them elements were good and they made earlier RE games favs of mine aswell, but RE HAS changed, to some for better and to some for worse. It's something we have to accept, but RE4 was and is an amazing game imo and many others, yeah it's different from it's roots but as an individual game it's a masterpiece and they are goin with the same direction in RE5.
Joe_w-uk Trophy Card
Message 5 of 28 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
45517 posts

Feb 2, 2009

This has nothing to do with Capcom forgetting. It was Shinji Mikami (the creator of Resident Evil) that decided a change is warranted. I agree, given the fact that the series was starting to become stale in terms of gameplay. Something revolutionary to shake things up was needed. It's not that I wouldn't have bought those games but the fact of the matter is that I'm not THAT oblivious to the franchise's faultering quality back then.

This is a demo which is by no means fully representative of the final product, especially where the difficulty and AI are concerned. The demo was likely locked on Easy (as most demos tend to be), which explains the rather irrational enemy decisions, as well as the lack of a real challenge (in Shanty Town mainly; Public Assembly is challenging). Given the multiple difficulties in the main game, I'm sure the experience will be different. 

I have become extremely bored of the "departure" rants. Resident Evil may have changed in a radical way to many but the change has not been detrimental on the quality of the franchise, nor has it resulted in the complete lack of aspects that made Resident Evil so appealing. There are still atmospheric set-pieces, puzzles, grotesque creatures etc. There may be varying levels of how these are portrayed but you can only do so much.

Resident Evil 5 looks fantastic and plays fantastic. The storyline will be the biggest selling point because of how important and huge it will be in the context of the franchise's own canon.

People can whine, moan and groan as much as they like. The reality is that it's too late to turn back. Capcom have stumbled across a successful and popular formula that incorporates new ideas as well as the old. 

Message 6 of 28 (7 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1185 posts

Feb 2, 2009

Fred_DM wrote:

i guess you haven't played RE 4 then, have you? after RE 3 and CV Capcom decided it was time for something new. the result was RE 4 which was a huge success. now they're sticking with it the same way they stuck with the original RE mechanics for 5 games (RE, RE 2, RE 3, RE CV, RE 0). i fail to to discover any fail in that.

i take it you'll not buy RE 5, then.

I did play RE 4 and it was ok for awhile BUT i did end up giving up on the game because the controls, combat and camera became so frustratingly annoying that I left it and never went back.  The controls were always frustratingly bad in RE games but in the earlier games in the series the desire to push on to follow the story or see the next area etc was so compelling that one would deal with the inadaquate controls but that's not the case with the most recent games IMO.  It is not enough for me to want to play a game just to see heads explode it takes a little more than that to intrigue and or entertain me. 

Message Edited by aquastorm on 02-02-2009 02:58 PM
Message 7 of 28 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6129 posts

Feb 2, 2009
lmao, 4 is not a masterpiece, otherwise we wouldn't see 5 righting 4's flaws(which were numerous). But, 5 definitely needs more depth, in which a demo simply cannot show you. They need & will give puzzles. There's no fun in just running around shooting- and if you find that fun- you're pretty boring. So please people, stop being so self-rightious and flaming others just because they don't agree with you. The point is, Capcom will give us puzzles, and only if they don't will RE5 'fail'. It has it's flaws like ALL games, but it definitely still has a chance.
Random Images
Message 8 of 28 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5715 posts

Feb 2, 2009

drupac2k8 wrote:
lmao, 4 is not a masterpiece, otherwise we wouldn't see 5 righting 4's flaws(which were numerous). But, 5 definitely needs more depth, in which a demo simply cannot show you. They need & will give puzzles. There's no fun in just running around shooting- and if you find that fun- you're pretty boring. So please people, stop being so self-rightious and flaming others just because they don't agree with you. The point is, Capcom will give us puzzles, and only if they don't will RE5 'fail'. It has it's flaws like ALL games, but it definitely still has a chance.

If any game deserves that honour, I would go with RE4.. If I "had" to say it would be a personal fav and I've been into games for a longgggg time.
Joe_w-uk Trophy Card
Message 9 of 28 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
46 posts

Feb 2, 2009

aquastorm wrote:
I did play RE 4 and it was ok for awhile BUT i did end up giving up on the game because the controls, combat and camera became so frustratingly annoying that I left it and never went back.  The controls were always frustratingly bad in RE games but in the earlier games in the series the desire to push on to see the next area etc was so compelling that one would deal with the inadaquate controls but that's not the case with the most recent games IMO.  It is not enough for me to want to play a game just to see heads explode it takes a little more than that to intrigue and or entertain me. 

personally, i've never had a problem with the RE controls. hell, i even played all of them on the PC (including RE 4) with just the keyboard. then i played the REmake on the GC, and now the RE 5 Demo on the PS3. i never thought of the controls as frustrating. you just have to accept and adapt.

also, the puzzles really weren't anything special in all the RE games. what did the first installments have? move this statue over there, push those levers over here, etc. the same with RE 4.

the strong points of the RE games has always been the urge to advance to the next chapter, as you've said. i think both RE 4 and RE 5 have that. in RE 4 i wanted to know what was going on and who was responsible for it, and what kind of monsters are awaiting me farther on. seems to me RE 5 has that too.

Message 10 of 28 (7 Views)
0 Likes