Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apr 12 2013
By: RV1985 I Only Post Everything 1223 posts

Ridge Racer Driftopia? *sigh*

5 replies 2226 views Edited Apr 12, 2013

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/04/11/ridge-racer-driftopia-free-to-play-game-headed-to-pc-and-ps3/

Uh...so yeah. Let's take RR:Unbounded, transform it into a free-to-play model, and call it a day. Because we all know that Unbounded was oh so popular and successful a game with fans of the series and newcomers alike, right? At least that's the impression one has to get when looking back at its non existent hype after release and dead-from-the-get-go online community.

Yet, some Bamco executive still thought "Hey, but this time it's gonna be free*, so people will totally play and like it now! And with all the DLC addicts we have nowadays there should be enough fools customers out there who'll drool over the prospect of being able to buy a 'Mythical Car Pack' and stuff for $4.99 each to be a cooler kid than the next guy on their friend list and make it profitable for us."

But what do I know...? I just don't get this whole mentality when it comes to F2P games and the likes...I really don't.

In this particular case it just seems especially pointless since retail copies of Unbounded are dirt cheap by now anyway. And Driftopia, so far, looks to be basically the exact same friggin' game (not surprising considering we're talking about Bamco here, but still).

Well, as far as I'm concerned, this whole thing isn't even worth the space on the HDD it'll take up, so that's that.

Message 1 of 6 (2,226 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6425 posts

Re: Ridge Racer Driftopia? *sigh*

Apr 26, 2013

thats just sad to see.I dont even know what to say..

Well you knw i think the fans  ask  RR2 (rage racer 2) and  put it on ps3/ps4..

Me personally,, i think rage racer 2 is way to go

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 2 of 6 (1,508 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
93 posts

[ Edited ]
May 19, 2013

I thought Bugbear is working on that successor of Flatout, not bollocks like this. Why does Bandai Namco had to ruin my franchise from my childhood? It would be great if the staff in Japan stick to the traditional Ridge Racer formula from Ridge Racer Type 4. After all from Bugbear, the Finnish game developer needs to stop and start working on the successor we're waiting for. Besides, Ridge Racer is not their portfolio.

Message 3 of 6 (1,440 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
31 posts

May 20, 2013

Yeah it sucks. But it is what it is.... lets hope for Ridge Racer 8 for PS4.

By the way what happened to this forum? It's deader than King Tut

Message 4 of 6 (1,430 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1223 posts

[ Edited ]
May 20, 2013

Isamuu wrote:

Yeah it sucks. But it is what it is.... lets hope for Ridge Racer 8 for PS4.

You won't like this then:

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/04/12/ridge-racer-driftopia-is-the-next-main-entry-in-the-series/

It's the follow-up article/interview to the one I posted above. Basically, Bamco themselves say that they consider RR:Unbounded and the upcoming Driftopia as the "official" RR8 and 9 respectively. So much for the wishful assumption they were just spin-offs like R:Racing Evolution was...

Welp, seems like this is classic Ridge Racer going down the drain at long last in favor of catering to what's become cool and trendy in the genre over the last couple years. Count me out then.

Also, I very much doubt we'll see an actual "RR10" as a launch title for the PS4 now, considering Driftopia's planned release date this fall. My guess is they'll just port that one over to the PS4 once it's out, if just to keep up the tradition of console launch = RR game.

Isamuu wrote:
By the way what happened to this forum? It's deader than King Tut

Most of the former regulars here are in the 'Ridge Racer 7 Stars' fangroup on facebook now I think. Since I'm one of the few people on the planet without a facebook account though, I can't tell for sure how active it really is over there :smileytongue:

Message 5 of 6 (1,427 Views)
Fender Bender
3838 posts

May 20, 2013

No wonder you never showed up on facebook, RV.

Facebook is more or less like here but with more feeds from RR7 freinds.

In the beginning it was more active but, now, it is getting less active.

Stratfan keeps in interesting by posting challenges, but anticipants are few though.

Message 6 of 6 (1,419 Views)
0 Likes