Jun 22 2009
By: War_Lord83 Wastelander 898 posts

Untethered at last! My Wireless Logitech Vantage Microphone Review

7 replies 83 views Edited Jun 22, 2009

I’ve been waiting for this microphone patiently since it was first announced by Logitech ever so long ago. While the $80 price tag seemed a bit steep, the desire of having a completely wireless RockBand set and $40 in Amazon.com gift cards I earned doing internet surveys made the cost a little more reasonable.

I decided to use Amazon’s trade-in service to take care of the remaining $40, and free shipping ultimately made it free, other than the time I used to do the surveys and 5 games that I could care less about. The trade-in service is pretty hassle-free. You select the games that you want to trade, print out the invoice and the paid postage-slip, pack it up, and send it off to process. I took care of all that on Thursday (June 11). They were received, processed, and my account was credited on the following Monday (June 15). I purchased through a Marketplace seller, which saved a little more cash at the cost of a slightly longer time to ship it. The total (with shipping) came to $71.94.

Now on to business… The microphone itself is significantly larger than the normal RockBand microphone. It’s closer in length to the SingStar microphone, with a windscreen that is about 1.5 inches in diameter. Despite the increased size, its weight is not that much more than the RockBand mic, and it feels well-balanced once the batteries are in. The remainder of the mic is about the same width as the RockBand mic, so it easily fits into the same clip on my mic stand. The box also includes a wrist strap (mine had 2 actually), which attaches at the bottom near the antenna and should be helpful for preventing accidental drops.

Microphone In Box  Box Contents

Microphone Comparison 

The receiver also acts as a miniature stand for storing purposes, and it comes with a fairly long cord. Excess cord can be wrapped around the bottom of the stand, which helps counterbalance the mic when it is set on it. I had hoped that it would also be used to charge internal batteries within the mic as well, unfortunately it runs off of two standard AA batteries instead. The booklet claims a battery life of up to 20 hours, so battery changes should not be too frequent at least. I installed some of those fancy Energizer Advanced batteries (the ones which used to carry DLC codes), so it’ll probably last even longer.

Battery Compartment Microphone on Receiver

Bottom of Receiver Ready to Rock!

On my first trial of the mic, I simply fired up RockBand and synced the mic and chose a song. The mic appears to amplify to a higher volume than the standard mic, and its sensitivity was dead-on with the same settings that I’d been using for the RB mic. It had no trouble picking up my voice at all, and I could do percussion sections with a mere tap of the windscreen.

Next, I tried a range test. The booklet claims that it works up to 30 feet, and unfortunately my condo is not large enough for me to get that far away. It could easily pick me up in my tiny backyard, which is at most 25 feet from the PS3. I then tried going upstairs while singing, and got to the furthest point away in the house. It had no trouble picking me up through the floor and two walls (door open).

All in all, this is a very fine wireless microphone that requires no modding of any kind. Its price tag is admittedly a bit steep, but I suppose they can get away with that since it is the first quality USB wireless microphone that I know of available in the US. It claims to be compatible with the PS2, PS3, and Xbox 360, and may be used on RB, GH:WT, GH:M, Boogie, Karaoke Revolution, or the Sing It! games. I’d recommend it if anyone wants their RockBand 2 setup to be fully wireless.

My RockBand DLC (Now over 1100 tracks!): http://www.myrockbandsongs.com/War_Lord/
Message 1 of 8 (83 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1212 posts

Re: Untethered at last! My Wireless Logitech Vantage Microphone Review

Jun 23, 2009
Great write up and review. Wish it weren't so expensive. Could be considered less expensive than your dog pulling your ps3 onto the floor though. Thanks for the pics as well.
Message 2 of 8 (83 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
774 posts

Jun 23, 2009
Indeed a good write up.  I'm not a vocalist so I'll never get one myself, though it does seem sweet.  I'm slightly dissapointed with the regular batteries.  I was almost assuming it had rechargables and the base would keep it charged when not in use.  Other than that it sounds decent, despite the high cost. 
Message 3 of 8 (83 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
50 posts

Aug 21, 2009

i have this mic-- it works well.  it could use a foam windscreen, but otherwise seems fine.

what i can't figure out is whether you can use two or more simultaneously or not.  with beatles rockband supporting two and three-part harmonies, i'd love to get another if it will work.

anyone know if two logitech mics would interfere with each other if used simultaneously? 

Message 4 of 8 (83 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
385 posts

Aug 21, 2009

War Lord, very thoughout and good review!  Kudos to follow.

I sing, and have considered a wireless.  We keep the PS3 on the floor during RB parties so that no one trips over the cords.  And I kinda like wrappng the cord around my hand.  Your review will provide a good baseline comparison for me to consider in the future.  Have you tried other wireless mics that were not good? 

What PS3 do you have with power button up front? Mine is in the back. (Old 60gb).  Just curious.

You can't rock if you are sitting down.
Message 5 of 8 (83 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
898 posts

Aug 22, 2009

jfdg wrote:

i have this mic-- it works well.  it could use a foam windscreen, but otherwise seems fine.

what i can't figure out is whether you can use two or more simultaneously or not.  with beatles rockband supporting two and three-part harmonies, i'd love to get another if it will work.

anyone know if two logitech mics would interfere with each other if used simultaneously? 

That is a good question... or perhaps the Beatles could support the wireless SingStar microphones (both blue and red).  Of course, it seems that they will never reach the US.

JONDE815 wrote:

War Lord, very thoughout and good review!  Kudos to follow.

I sing, and have considered a wireless.  We keep the PS3 on the floor during RB parties so that no one trips over the cords.  And I kinda like wrappng the cord around my hand.  Your review will provide a good baseline comparison for me to consider in the future.  Have you tried other wireless mics that were not good? 

What PS3 do you have with power button up front? Mine is in the back. (Old 60gb).  Just curious.

Thanks man.  I haven't tried any other wireless microphones... as far as I know, the only other wireless option for the PS3 would be the SingStar wireless microphones I mentioned above (which currently are only available in Europe), but I haven't tried them myself.

I have an MGS4 80 gb system.  The power button on the front is actually part of the old version of the Nyko Intercooler, which I've since removed from the PS3.  It didn't seem to work that well and I've heard it interfered with the PS3's internal fans, which is why I removed it and certainly wouldn't recommend it.  The newer Intercooler TS supposedly is a bit better, but it doesn't have the front power switch.

Message Edited by War_Lord83 on 08-22-2009 12:14 AM

My RockBand DLC (Now over 1100 tracks!): http://www.myrockbandsongs.com/War_Lord/
Message 6 of 8 (83 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
664 posts

Aug 25, 2009
Good write up and review War_Lord
Message 7 of 8 (83 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
152 posts

Aug 26, 2009

Hi,

Do you mind if I post your review on my site?

Site: goRockBand.com

Let me know thanks.

Message 8 of 8 (83 Views)
0 Likes